Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

For what reason are you afraid to die?

Luna the Great of all the Russias

Fear of Death  

34 users have voted

1. 1. As of now, what is your primary fear/concern related to death?

• Loss of consciousness/End of my existence.
    • Experiencing pain before death.
    • Leaving behind family and friends.
    • Fate in the afterlife.
    • Missing out on things that will happen after I die.
    • Not having lived a fulfilling life beforehand.
    • Other.
    • I have no major fears or concerns related to death.
  2. 2. As of now, are you afraid of being in a dead state for your own sake (this ignores all outside factors and pain felt while dying)?

• Yes. Such thought puts me in an existential crisis.
    • Yes. But I accept the inevitability.
    • I am not afraid of death for my own sake.
  3. 3. Do you believe in some concept of a soul or afterlife (even if not according to any of the major religions)?

• Yes
    • Undecided
    • No

I had two very close calls where I easily could of died, but got VERY lucky. Your state of mind may surprise you, mine sure did. One of the times I was like "Well isn't this just fricken' great!" and the other time  I was like NOPE! F THAT! :laugh:

I would definitely like to avoid being burned, mauled, poisoned, or crushed to death. Or ending up with some horrendous illness.

With regards to afterlife, I was raised Roman Catholic and believe in God and Jesus. However, I think there is probably much more to it than the stereotypical heaven and hell concept.

I think there is MUCH more going on with how the world/universe works than we know. That could be a whole other hours-long discussion.

When it comes to believing that there is nothing after death, the unsettling thing that comes to mind is that "that may be what you get":umad: AS a result of that belief. That would be a variation of hell in my opinion- eternal nothingness. I'm not trying to put anyone down by stating that, but in the way I think things might work, that might be a scary possibility. Kind of like a final "NO SOUP FOR YOU"  :laugh:      ...:confused:

*** a funny thing related- I HATE HEARSES. I think they're a HORRENDOUSLY UGLY abomination of the automobile. I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE MY FINAL RIDE IN A ROLLING PILE OF S#!T!!!:angry:

I would rather be taken to the graveyard in the back of a regular SUV or even a small moving truck.

Edited by Cirrus.

• 2 weeks later...

It isn't really being dead that scares me. After all, I'm not exactly around anymore when I'm dead, and if I am still around somehow then no matter what, everyone I'm leaving behind will be dead at some point as well and then I can meet up with them again. What I do fear is the actual process of dying, the moment where you know that this time, it's not going to be okay and that those moments are the very last ones you're ever going to experience.

don't fear the raper.  I have almost died a few times so i really don't fear the end (I going to live forever because  i am OP alicornB)) but i fear  haveing  my love ones  being sad at my passing and haveing to deal with be be gone. I see my self as a warrior so live and death are always close at hand.  I tell everyone i love when i die burn my body so i can't come back as zombie and i will always watch over you.

I don’t fear death, The only part of it I’d mind is leaving behind grieving family or friends. I don’t want to see unhappy people so I want them to throw a major party after I kick the bucket. I’m going to be in a better place and I want everyone here to be happy; no point in using my passing as a cue to grieve when it’s technically no different than my going from one room to another.  

• Brohoof 1

I am afraid of death because of what may happen to me afterward. I do believe in an afterlife but I know that some people believe that we just simply fall unconscious forever after. I worry what that will be like...although I will never know because I won’t even realize that I am in that state. It’s sorta difficult to explain. 

I am not afraid of being dead.  There is nothing to be afraid of.  I gather that many people seem to imagine that being dead is akin to be trapped in some eternal black void, alone with their thoughts, unable to move or speak.  Some people seem to imagine that their mind will somehow live on when the body doesn't, and they'll be trapped in nothingness like a sensory deprivation tank, aware of their consciousness on some level, but unable to wake up.  This is completely bananas, however.  Being dead will feel just it did for the ages before you were born.  Once one is dead, they do not know that they're dead.  There is nothing to fear.

However, I do fear never finding love before I go, because that just seems like such a shame and a bummer to me.  I fear living with loneliness and pain much more than I fear death.

I can turn the question into this: "Why would I want to die?". Well, I don't and I do not see a reason why I would want to. Just because it is "natural" and "the order of things"? Not a good enough reason for me.

On 10/18/2019 at 2:57 PM, swordsman said:

don't fear the raper

That’s an unfortunate typo.

11 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

I can turn the question into this: "Why would I want to die?". Well, I don't and I do not see a reason why I would want to. Just because it is "natural" and "the order of things"? Not a good enough reason for me.

Nobody WANTS to. But you’re gonna.

So are you afraid of it, and if so, what part?

11 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Nobody WANTS to.

Some people would disagree with you.

11 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

So are you afraid of it, and if so, what part?

I try not to think about it, there is no point worrying about something that I cannot change.

2 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

Some people would disagree with you.

If you’re referring to suicidal people, few of them actually WANT to die. They just want their suffering to stop and death starts looking like a viable option.

Cease of existence.

I became painfully aware of my mortality at the age of about 17. I'm 29 now, and that knowledge has never allowed me to forget about itself. That fear is keeping me in steel clutches to a point it is absolutely destroying not only my mind quickly, but is also DIRECTLY responsible for many of my failures over years, sometimes in major important fields and moments.

I love life, whatever life it is. I will cling to it, because it will not repeat consciously again. But the knowledge of unstoppable end is the most demotivational factor to anything in my life. Many of my efforts to do things culminate with "but what's the point?" at the end of the day, and it is absolutely horrifying if you ask me.

Especially that I firmly believe that all belief in higher powers or afterlife is a direct result of people's inability of accepting death, a constant search for SOME closure to their life. Inability of accepting the fact that once you're gone, that's it. I guess that is why gods and afterlife believes are important. To stop you from slowly slipping into dejected state of slight insanity.

All thought, I voted for loosing my existence as a main fear, I have a bigger fear of happening this with my loved ones.
I used to think about it many times, then I stopped it, because I fell into deep depression.
This was my biggest fear in my entire life, and it makes even worse that there is no scientific evidence to anything.

Edited by Rixton

The only thing I'm afraid of is people being disappointed in me over what achieved in life and people being not sad I'm not here anymore. ;)

I think if I die, I come to a dreamworld which is as perfect as I lived my life.

Edited by Hierok