Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was the show really worth it (especially after the epilogue)?

PCutter

On 10/8/2019 at 8:55 PM, PCutter said:

But then since this "one disappointing episode" is the epilogue, why would you still say you want to go back to rewatching it when everyone else (for different shows I've seen) says that all shows must end as perfectly as they began? Because otherwise the "dumpster fire that is the epilogue" will ultimately define the show for the rest of eternity, if at all for eternity.

I think perhaps you have been listening to the wrong people. 

As for the question - not just yes, but hell yes. (Not quite as sure about Season 9.)

On 10/8/2019 at 9:10 PM, PCutter said:

I just feel like witnessing the majority despise the ending of something so big is the ultimate humiliation for me because it invalidates all the pleasant memories I had watching the previous seasons. It's like the previous decade of my life was a lie. Like I've already died a miserable death full of regrets.

Now I feel like there's no series worth watching anymore, whether in the past, future or now.

How... why... for goodness sake, no part of this makes any sense.

I didn’t watch this show for eight years because I was waiting for it to end. Regardless of how bad the ending was or wasn’t, it can’t change those years because they already happened, and I did enjoy those years. For the sake of telling coherent story I’ve concluded it would have best if they show ended at Season 2, but I’m really glad they didn’t because I’ve enjoyed every step along the way. Even with Season 9’s very definitive ending I’m still really to here about a Season 10 in the comics because even after everything the magic is still there. 

• Brohoof 1

if you want to think of it this way, season 8 is garbage, season 9 is 'garbage??' The rest of the seasons are great. I am not saying anything but I don't really care about epilogue as a whole, it's just fine.

Edited by R.D.Dash

And I suppose the last episodes of the show are all just as controversial and negatively received as those as Adventure Time?

And for one, I don't care if either of those are compared to ST Enterprise, because I don't even like ST.

2 hours ago, PCutter said:

Maybe not to you, but it does for me.

Look. Yes, not everyone likes the ending (though it's not like everyone hates it either). But even if it were a lot worse than it was, the good parts of the show don't stop being good, not has the time you've spent watching been wasted. This isn't the kind of show where the ending is all that matters.

And anyway, plenty of people like the ending,  particularly the last episode. So there's no reason to get all "this is the worst - possible - thing!!!" about it.

• Brohoof 1

On 10/16/2019 at 5:31 PM, Latecomer said:

Look. Yes, not everyone likes the ending (though it's not like everyone hates it either). But even if it were a lot worse than it was, the good parts of the show don't stop being good, not has the time you've spent watching been wasted. This isn't the kind of show where the ending is all that matters.

And anyway, plenty of people like the ending,  particularly the last episode. So there's no reason to get all "this is the worst - possible - thing!!!" about it.

Maybe you can look at user Stormspark's words about it on EQD. S/he finds the epilogue the "worst possible thing " like ST Enterprise. And I DON'T like ST.

You can practically fill an entire library with it all.

On 10/10/2019 at 12:59 PM, Ganondox said:

Coherent in the sense that was less blatant contradictions. 

As if some people would care about contradictions, of which I'm one.

6 hours ago, PCutter said:

Maybe you can look at user Stormspark's words about it on EQD. S/he finds the epilogue the "worst possible thing " like ST Enterprise. And I DON'T like ST.

You can practically fill an entire library with it all.

Yeah, and what makes her opinion so important?

How did YOU feel about the epilogue?

The show and especially Equestria Girls have been worth it to me over these past six years. Had I never watched those snippets of the first EQG movie back then, who knows what I'd be doing with my life right now. I shudder to think of that scenario. Both show and spin-off have helped me deal with some issues that have plagued my life while others remain because they go far beyond a cartoon show that appealed to a demographic that was totally unexpected. I still dislike 'The Ending of the End' because of certain revelations and resolutions that made it a chore for me to get through, but 'The Last Problem' made up for it even if it wasn't perfect in its execution and I see as a what-if-scenario detailing an Equestria that has yet to be.

I've no intention of leaving this fandom as it's done more for me than I even deserve.

Edited by Ganondorf8
Fixed the post.
  • Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)
On 10/19/2019 at 6:14 AM, Latecomer said:

Yeah, and what makes her opinion so important?

How did YOU feel about the epilogue?

https://disqus.com/by/stormspark1/

Just in case you don't know who I'm talking about.

I placed importance on their opinion because it FUCKING RUINED MY ENJOYMENT of something that's already about to end. There, I said how I HONESTLY FEEL. S/he just had to completely spit in the face of something important and I will NOT let that slide. I completely hate that person because s/he considers all other material except season 9 canon.

And for the record, I LIKED AND LOVED the epilogue.

Edited by PCutter

14 minutes ago, PCutter said:

I completely hate that person because s/he considers all other material except season 9 canon.

Buddy, you’re hating someone over a cartoon. Chill a bit.

No one has to like what you like, and you don’t have to hate what they hate. In fact I always get excited when I end up going against popular opinion. Makes me feel like I’m my own person. Think about it that way for yourself.

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, PCutter said:

https://disqus.com/by/stormspark1/

Just in case you don't know who I'm talking about.

I placed importance on their opinion because it FUCKING RUINED MY ENJOYMENT of something that's already about to end. There, I said how I HONESTLY FEEL. S/he just had to completely spit in the face of something important and I will NOT let that slide. I completely hate that person because s/he considers all other material except season 9 canon.

And for the record, I LIKED AND LOVED the epilogue.

I also don't consider Season 9 headcanon at that moment (I'm still considering it). But that needn't affect your feelings about it. I still love Buffy all the way through even though the widespread opinion is that it should have ended earlier,

And also, this

1 minute ago, FlareGun45 said:

Even if you didn't like the epilogue, of course the show was worth it! Just look at this fandom! :D

Even if for some reason you let someone else run your enjoyment of the end, there's still everything that came before it, and everything that was born from that. Why wouldn't it be worth it?

Yes. (Not having watched the epilogue) but the show has given me enough good stuff to negate any "bad" ending. Hell, I haven't watched an episode later than S6, but I haven't yet regretted my association with it.

The show helped me during a difficult time in my life. So, yes, it was worth it.

Interestingly, at first I was unsure how to feel about the epilogue, and I was one who thought it felt kinda like fanfiction. But after watching it a second time, and after the shock left, I actually love it now and cry everytime. I plan on watching the entire series soon (+ECG+comics+years worth of fanworks), just kinda hard to bring myself to do so because I know I'm going to get the feels.

On 11/7/2019 at 10:05 PM, Latecomer said:

I also don't consider Season 9 headcanon at that moment (I'm still considering it). But that needn't affect your feelings about it. I still love Buffy all the way through even though the widespread opinion is that it should have ended earlier,

And also, this

Even if for some reason you let someone else run your enjoyment of the end, there's still everything that came before it, and everything that was born from that. Why wouldn't it be worth it?

I find it unbelievably amazing that people like him/her (nothing against you) can just choose to pretend that things don't exist. I ABSOLUTELY HATE when people use the denial of reality excuse just because they hate it.

Season 9 exists? Then it does exist. Why should we pretend that it's something that it clearly isn't? It won't just disappear just because of someone's whim.

And tell me why my feelings shouldn't be affected by it?

On 11/7/2019 at 6:54 PM, ShadOBabe said:

Buddy, you’re hating someone over a cartoon. Chill a bit.

No one has to like what you like, and you don’t have to hate what they hate. In fact I always get excited when I end up going against popular opinion. Makes me feel like I’m my own person. Think about it that way for yourself.

Well I too get excited. A bit OVERLY excited like I am right now. All the more reason why I get infuriated that despite clearly stating my own autonomy, people choose to say they still own me like I'm just property.

Edited by PCutter

I've watched the show from season 3 to the mid-part of season 7. Haven't seen a lot of mid-7, 8, and 9 aside from viewing clips here and there on YouTube, although I did watch the movie when it came out. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews for those seasons as well. I might watch them all and give them a personal judgment, but I just don't have enough time. And if I do, I keep watching anime instead.

But I think the journey is still worth it. Even though my enjoyment slipped around mid-season 7, the episodes that came before still spoke to me and gave me a lot of enjoyment through my impressionable and angst teenage years. And I'm sure that's the same sentiment for a lot of people here, no matter if they enjoyed the latter seasons or not. I think it's pretty amazing that a pony show like this could last up to nine seasons and still introduce a new story or arc every season, in my opinion. Not sure if I've ever seen a kid's show like that in my life. Sure, a lot of them are the same 'villain + ponies save the day' formula, but it still kind of works IMO.

If you like the epilogue, that's good. A lot of people do too, in fact. But not everyone has the same opinion as yours. It's unhealthy to consider an opposing opinion to what you enjoy as a personal attack because it invalidates the honest experience of the other person. People's tastes change, especially within ten years, and their enjoyment of the show back when they first started watching isn't the same as it is right now. What matters is that you enjoyed the epilogue and the entire show before it. Nothing else. And, like what everyone said above, one bad episode =/= the entire series is bad.

P.S. I'm sure you will find another show that is worth watching for you. I was kind of in the same position back when I was starting to get bored with MLP.

/weeaboo hat on

But then I discovered anime, particularly the show K-ON!. I loved how similar, in a way, to MLP it is, except the main characters are high school girls (think Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks without the villains and that it is a 100% slice of life/coming of age story). It even has some great musical numbers, which reminded me of MLP as well. And look at me now, I'm pretty much a full-on shitlord weeaboo. :wacko:

/weeaboo hat off

Not saying you should watch anime (you can try, though. And if you are interested, you can DM me for shows that feel like MLP). I've also heard of great cartoons from this decade too. Gravity Falls, Star vs the Forces of Evil, Steven Universe, and a couple more that I can't think of right now. And it doesn't need to be cartoons either. The bottom line is, keep searching, and you'll find a show worth watching. :)

(I don't what I'm writing anymore at this point. But this thread got me thinking, so I guess I might as well chime in. :please:)

Edited by Kawaii Besu

9 hours ago, PCutter said:

All the more reason why I get infuriated that despite clearly stating my own autonomy, people choose to say they still own me like I'm just property.

Okay, I’m sure that made sense in your head, but I have no idea what you’re talking about. “Own” you? When did that happen? And it what context?

9 hours ago, PCutter said:

And tell me why my feelings shouldn't be affected by it?

Well... why SHOULD you be affected by it? Why do you care how complete random Internet strangers express their interest in a piece of entertainment?

Me and a friend of mine absolutely hated a season of this other cartoon we liked. So we ignored it and wrote our own version. Why should anyone care?

If you’re so offended by their opinions, just dismiss them as stupid and go about your business.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 2