Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Subbed vs Dubbed

Dashy 4 Ever

Subbed vs Dubbed  

23 users have voted

1. 1. Subbed vs Dubbed

• Subbed
    • Dubbed

As long as the dub is translated mostly accurately and the voices aren't completely inappropriate (which has become the standard for American anime dubs post-4Kids from my understanding) I really have no preference between the two. Although because I always have subtitles turned on and anime dubs use the original subtitles, I usually just end up watching subbed to begin with nowadays.

5 hours ago, Samurai Equine said:

I live in America, and most dubs here are homemade.

I was talking about American dubs.

The way some names are pronounced (stretching the middle) sound really weird to me. I guess not everyone does it, but, yea...

Still I got so used to (English) subs now, that I don't really notice them.

For Anime, I have to go with dubs. It's because I want to be able to follow the animation without having to pause and rewind just to read the story.

But original stuff is always best, meaning subs are the best choice. I recommend if you like something, you should watch both subs and dubs (I did that for most of the Dragon Ball series).

6 hours ago, Splashee said:

For Anime, I have to go with dubs. It's because I want to be able to follow the animation without having to pause and rewind just to read the story.

But original stuff is always best, meaning subs are the best choice. I recommend if you like something, you should watch both subs and dubs (I did that for most of the Dragon Ball series).

How can you watch dubs

you betrayed the cause

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Xeltor said:

How can you watch dubs

you betrayed the cause

Please tell me you are joking. Because if not...

Don't.
Don't do this. Don't say this. Don't be this. Please, just don't.

Saying this stuff doesn't encourage people to try anime, and it doesn't make the fandom grow. There is no "cause". You're just being an elitist, an ablest, and a jerk.
Just let people enjoy anime however they want. You haven't walked a mile in their shoes, you aren't paying their rent or their medical bills, you have no right to tell people how to enjoy a cartoon from Japan. It's just a cartoon. There is no golden rules on how it should be enjoyed.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Samurai Equine said:

Don't.

Saying this stuff doesn't encourage people to try anime, and it doesn't make the fandom grow. There is no "cause". You're just being an elitist, an ablest, and a jerk.
Just let people enjoy anime however they want. You haven't walked a mile in their shoes, you aren't paying their rent or their medical bills, you have no right to tell people how to enjoy a cartoon from Japan. It's just a cartoon. There is no golden rules on how it should be enjoyed.

Don't worry @Samurai Equine. He knows what he is saying and to who he is talking to. @Xeltor lives for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and I live for Dragon Ball. We have our silly battles.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Splashee said:

Don't worry @Samurai Equine. He knows what he is saying and to who he is talking to. @Xeltor lives for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and I live for Dragon Ball. We have our silly battles.

That's a relief. :proud: I was worried there for a moment.
I like both of those animes too, but I don't see that big a deal about the dubs. Dragon Ball may have had it harder over here in America for a long while, but Jojo had an amazing dub.

• Brohoof 1

14 hours ago, Samurai Equine said:

Don't.

What the fuck? People can't even take a joke nowadays? Truly ridiculous; but that's not the topic of this thread here.

Then let me emphasize my point: I don't like dubs generally, but there are some animes which I prefer english dub over japanese ones (Ace attorney, to talk about  only one). The thing is that my childhood has always been around dubs (French, English, Arabic ones) and when I discovered Subs, it just clicked to me. Subs are usually much more emotional when they talk than dubs, and that's an important part to me. Some dubs do the trick, but I'll go with subs.

@Splashee I can't even hate you for that (oops hate is a strong word, I'm going to be taken seriously again) because Dragon Ball english dub is iconic at this point

Edited by Xeltor
  • Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Xeltor said:

What the fuck? People can't even take a joke nowadays? Truly ridiculous; but that's not the topic of this thread here.

Then let me emphasize my point: I don't like dubs generally, but there are some animes which I prefer english dub over japanese ones (Ace attorney, to talk about  only one). The thing is that my childhood has always been around dubs (French, English, Arabic ones) and when I discovered Subs, it just clicked to me. Subs are usually much more emotional when they talk than dubs, and that's an important part to me. Some dubs do the trick, but I'll go with subs.

@Splashee I can't even hate you for that (oops hate is a strong word, I'm going to be taken seriously again) because Dragon Ball english dub is iconic at this point

Jokees that are exactly the same as what several people say unironically don't go down well in toneless environments.

13 hours ago, Xeltor said:

I'm sorry! Really!
I honestly could not tell you were joking. I didn't realize you and Slashee had an understanding. I usually look for an obvious sign or tell when someone is joking, like an emoticon or something. I read the reply and thought you were being very serious. My mistake. I'm use to dealing with people who always say stuff like that seriously. I just returned this forum a few weeks ago, so I'm still getting to know everyone here. I'm definitely not one of those anti-joke persons.

5 hours ago, Samurai Equine said:

I'm sorry! Really!
I honestly could not tell you were joking. I didn't realize you and Slashee had an understanding. I usually look for an obvious sign or tell when someone is joking, like an emoticon or something. I read the reply and thought you were being very serious. My mistake. I'm use to dealing with people who always say stuff like that seriously. I just returned this forum a few weeks ago, so I'm still getting to know everyone here. I'm definitely not one of those anti-joke persons.

Don’t be, we all sometime don’t understand @Xeltor.. okay most of the time. It’s normal. :nom:

• Brohoof 1

I like it both ways and a lot depends on what I’m watching. Movies like Your Name has a spectacular original voice cast so I lean toward the subbed version. Spirited Away is good both ways but I prefer the dubbed version better because of its English voice cast. Arietty had a beautiful British dub but the American dub sucks. I guess it all depends on the quality of the voicers and how well the original dialog is interpreted. Sometimes interpretation differences can be subtle but can make an interesting difference in certain nuances. But ultimately it’s about the cast for me and, in some cases, the density of the dialog and how fast and furious it flashes across the screen. I don’t want to feel exhausted trying to keep up with the subs and miss out on seeing the images onscreen.  

• Brohoof 1

Dubs mostly. I’ve only watched like a few subbed series though. Not a big fan of having to read stuff at the bottom while trying yo pay attention to what’s going on at the same time. 

I’m a dub over subs heretic :proud:. I watch subs from time on time if I don’t have a choice, but otherwise I pick dubs. I’m not fond of Japanese voices personally, specially the average high pitched girl voice. Ironically, I don’t watch much anime, but mostly videogames, but I pick dubs even if they are heavily Japanese.

One notorious example is Dragalia Lost, a pretty Japanese game, whose dub lack voice acting during most cutscenes, while the original Japanese dub doesn’t, but I still pick dub. Why? Other than the aforementioned dislike of the high pitched girl voice, the dub give me the privilege to hear ponies :kirin: (the reason I’ve started playing in the first place :mlp_icwudt:)

It really depends. If there's an English dub, I'm probably going to prefer that since it's my native language and all. There are some atrocious English dubs out there though. Ranma 1/2 springs to mind. Dub was so bad that I watched it subbed to enjoy the goddamn thing. I'll still watch subbed anime if it's all that exists. And for a chunk of things I like... it's my only choice. Not a lot of localized cheesecake anime for some reason. Your guess is as good as mine. /s

--> votes dubbed expecting to be a contrarian

--> turns out to be part of the majority

--> is actually somewhat disappointed

anyway. I like watching both, it's a great excuse to watch my favorite series' twice :proud: