Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you choose to stay in the future, or stay in the present?

Toastypk

What's your preferred perspective?  

11 users have voted

1. 1. Stick with the future or stay in the present?

• Stick with the future
    • Stay with the present

The final episodes were so wonderful.

The one thing though was the time skip. It's not that it was bad, it made sense for the show.

But for me personally, I've always felt a mild sadness about things like that. I want to spend the present with the ponies, not jump into the future. The episode was wonderful, but there's a weird thing with me seeing the mane 6 in their 40s or whatever.

But then again, I feel it's your own interpration whether or not you see the final episode as "the future" or "the present." I'm a very "in the present" guy.

And especially with the comics taking the mantle, which I'm fairly sure they'll be taking the right after episode 25 angle, that seems to be the place I wish to continue, and the perspective I like more. I want to see their moments more.

Though it's worth mentioning, they made Digimon Tri after how the second season ended.

So I ask what you all think. For any further pony things, do you wish to see the future, or stay in the present?

Edited by Toastypk

I'd say stay with the present. While the timeskip is nice and all, if you want stories involving the mane 6, they should happen during the "present". On the other hand, I may also be up for some stories involving "The Next Generation" so to speak. I think that taking Celestia's place kinda ruined Twilight's options of going on adventures, then again, I am not a huge fan of making Twilight take Celestia's place in the first place, so I may be biased.

Babylon 5 ended with a timeskip as well and many stories can be had before the last episode with the original characters and after the last episode with some new characters in the same universe, I guess.

Edited by Pentium100
  • Brohoof 1

If you mean if I could go to Equestria, what time period would I like to go? Yeah, future. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Mane 6, and it’d be wonderful to be friends with them, but I’d like to explore the new world that is the future, what else is there to discover, make my own story and friends

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
18 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

If you mean if I could go to Equestria, what time period would I like to go? Yeah, future. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Mane 6, and it’d be wonderful to be friends with them, but I’d like to explore the new world that is the future, what else is there to discover, make my own story and friends

I guess what is your prefered perspective. Do you see the final episode as a glimpse to the future, or the present? I see it as the future. And moreso with the comic Season 10 thing, it might focus more on the present too.

Edited by Toastypk

Just now, Toastypk said:

I guess what is your prefered perspective. Do you see the final episode as the future, or the present? I see it as the future. And moreso with the comic Season 10 thing, it might focus more on the present too.

Considering the show took place with the Mane 6 as young adults, I see the epilogue as the future. It would be different if we had some more episodes within that time period, but that’s not the case

1 minute ago, Steve Piranha said:

Considering the show took place with the Mane 6 as young adults, I see the epilogue as the future. It would be different if we had some more episodes within that time period, but that’s not the case

I guess my take on it is that it's a glimpse into the future but that doesn't mean it's time to stop having pony things that are in the present, which I'm guessing is where they'll make new things. Pre-Last Problem. That is to say, having more stories focused on the regular present mane 6 rather than the older mane 6 or Luster Dawn. So we can sort of "stay in the now" of the show and not have to feel like we're skipping anything with them.

I'm choosing to stick with the present. I'm also choosing to view the future as only one of many possibilities for Equestria's future, as time isn't really set in stone until you get there. By the time the ponies actually reach that point in time and it becomes their present, things might actually very well look different. I'm not particularly fond of time skips in general, and I'd have preferred they not done it, so I'm gonna headcanon myself as much wiggle room to sort of ignore it as possible.

Edited by BastementSparkle
  • Brohoof 1

I see the future as a good ending - which means that any more stories should come before it, or it wouldn't be the end anymore, would it?

Getting too close would also ruin its' many ambiguites (mostly related to shipping) as well.

Idk. I've never though of that in terms of time. For me they are stories, the main six stories and equestria stories. So you can be in the present but suddenly skip to the future but then go back to the past, or an alternate reality, but all of them are part of one single narrative. You can't have the present without what happened and that is connected at the same time with what will be. I'm not married with any because all of them are possible at any given moment and you can imagine them, go back, skip, jump, stay, remember, etc. 

I would love to imagine the relationship spike had with twiparents for example now that we realize that yeah... it makes sense that they took care of spike too. Or think of how things have changed in the future with all the races sharing the same place together. Or think of what happens after twi's coronation. There's no limit.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It really feels like "here's a  glimpse into what happens x many years from now, but that won't be the future focus point, and next movie or comic we return you to your regular resumed pony content."

Are you ok with knowing a sample of their futures?

It seems like one of those double edged swords.

It s both an intriguing and sort of good thing yet sad feeling too. But I guess that's just its nature.

Sorry if I'm seeming to be hung up on this.

I want my ponies to be how they always are and not think about implications and things.

Edited by Toastypk

2 hours ago, Toastypk said:

It really feels like "here's a  glimpse into what happens x many years from now, but that won't be the future focus point, and next movie or comic we return you to your regular resumed pony content."

Are you ok with knowing a sample of their futures?

It seems like one of those double edged swords.

It s both an intriguing and sort of good thing yet sad feeling too. But I guess that's just its nature.

Sorry if I'm seeming to be hung up on this.

I want my ponies to be how they always are and not think about implications and things.

For me, the ponies "always being" anything was quite frustrating. Given the insult to injury we got just four episodes earlier,  this was a decent enough compensation.

• Brohoof 1

After more than 24 hours of mulling about it, I think I've made my final assessment on the matter.

Come the future what may be, whatever it is. But it can wait until it comes. There's no hurry. I'll stick to being in the here and now.

That might even be pretty good general advice, especially for a worrier type like me.

With you girls, I'll stick alongside your normal path whatever it may be.

I wonder if the new comics will do the same? 

3 minutes ago, Toastypk said:

After more than 24 hours of mulling about it, I think I've made my final assessment on the matter.

Come the future what may be, whatever it is. But it can wait until it comes. There's no hurry. I'll stick to being in the here and now.

That might even be pretty good general advice, especially for a worrier type like me.

With you girls, I'll stick alongside your normal path whatever it may be.

I wonder if the new comics will do the same? 

I expect them to be set after the coronation ,if that's what you mean.

Edited by Latecomer

I'd prefer to remain in the present since we're still experiencing that. The future is fine and all but not everyone is going to be there for obvious reasons--this is also true for those who have yet to be born so it's a double-edged sword. If season ten intends on continuing on where the finale, not epilogue, left off, the present still has plenty of stories for us.

• Brohoof 1