Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Luna's Retirement

BlinkZ

So...not to disrespect Luna or anything but, uh What exactly did she do for Government other then Dream walking? Because if she 'retired' does tha mean nopony or creature is getting dream help anymore? I mean it seems that was her ONLY job!  Celestia did all the real work in the physical world.

• Brohoof 1

25 minutes ago, BlinkZ said:

So...not to disrespect Luna or anything but, uh What exactly did she do for Government other then Dream walking? Because if she 'retired' does tha mean nopony or creature is getting dream help anymore? I mean it seems that was her ONLY job!  Celestia did all the real work in the physical world.

We don't know if she'll still dreamwalk, or if she might choose a successor in that role - but if she doesn't, then Equestria managed without for a thousand years already.

• Brohoof 1

"A Royal Problem" more or less implied that Luna has no political jobs as she knew nothing about Celestia's jobs. Or maybe Luna had other political jobs, but it didn't look like the show figured out what they were supposed to be.

As the above post said, Equestria lasted for 1000 years without Luna's dreamwalking. And from what I've read (I haven't seen the episode yet), Equestria also seems to be in better shape than ever after Twilight became the ruler, so Luna's ability is more than likely not needed.

Spoiler

I’m actually interested in the possible successor question as well. It’s been hinted that Luna is basically a dream therapist in a way, even going so far as to suggest that really nasty nightmares can cause permanent damage to the mental health of a pony. 

Jim Miller mentioned that his intent with the merging of the crowns was to symbolize that Twilight can now handle the sun and moon going forward. Maybe she can work dream magic too. Maybe there is another. ;)

5 hours ago, Say my name said:
  Hide contents

I’m actually interested in the possible successor question as well. It’s been hinted that Luna is basically a dream therapist in a way, even going so far as to suggest that really nasty nightmares can cause permanent damage to the mental health of a pony. 

Jim Miller mentioned that his intent with the merging of the crowns was to symbolize that Twilight can now handle the sun and moon going forward. Maybe she can work dream magic too. Maybe there is another. ;)

That pretty much makes me think that Luna had no reaosn to Retire.Her job didn't seem all that hard. IF not for her Dreamwalking she pretty much useless when it comes to running a nation. or the show just never showed us anything she does tha matters other then dream therapy. Maybe she still does that in retirement who knows.

She retired as a royal figure, she still had to come to some meeting and stuff as a ruler so now she won't do that anymore. Regarding the dream walking, I don't know, she probably won't keep doing that its possibly she even can't anymore. Although her job was kinda important and improved society its still nor crucial and the land survived without her for 1000 years so they will be alright. 

And when you think about it, ponies have only been getting dream help for the last 9 years.  Before that, it was only Celestia for the last millennium.  Luna has barely been back at all in the grand scheme of things.  Poor Luna.  She's so cool, being the dark, brooding princess of the night, but she didn't really do much.

My headcanon is that she still occasionally dream walks, but only to f*ck around with ponies and scare them like Freddy Kruger.

• Brohoof 1

On 10/15/2019 at 2:26 AM, Rushing cash said:

She retired as a royal figure, she still had to come to some meeting and stuff as a ruler so now she won't do that anymore. Regarding the dream walking, I don't know, she probably won't keep doing that its possibly she even can't anymore. Although her job was kinda important and improved society its still nor crucial and the land survived without her for 1000 years so they will be alright. 

I guess she did dream walking so she wou feel useful again. A Royal Problem pretyt much showed Celestia did all the actual work that made Equestira wheels turn. Tehy could hae at least shown Luan with some paperwork at least. or talk about a late night meeting or you know, some indication she does stuff. Night Court is fanon anyway.

There are many things one can theorize, but Celestia did outright state that she and Luna were going to hang out at that retirement home from the "Point of No Return" episode. Though since Big Jim is leaving a lot of the epilogue material up to the fans like he states in the Q&A I shall posit a theory of my own. Luna and Celestia, even without the status of monarchs, wouldn't end up just hanging out in a swanky retirement home for the rest of time - there are so many ways they can still help Equestria while still enjoying 'retirement'. Luna in particular I think would still guide ponies in their dreams I think, seeing as how much satisfaction that seemed to bring her back in season four with the CMC. I can also see her being a therapist as some other people have stated, Luna seems to be able to relate to ponies on a more empathetic level than her elder sister and given everything she's gone through I do find her uniquely suited to the roll. 

Actually,  dream walking is part of Lunas cutie mark special talent. A Royal Problem shows this when Luna couldn't do anything because Celestia had her cutie mark.

Which means Luna can't hand it down to anypony else. And it can't be learned. If it was a learned skill, Luna would have still been able to use it even with Celestias cutie mark,

Edited by titanhades
  • Brohoof 1