Bas

MLPF Community project collaborations & stronger interactions

(edited)

Hi!

I thought of how people of the community might be able to get involved into stuff (or each other) more.

This is just brainstorming, and actually might have quite some flaws.

1. Community projects

Maybe even with a MLPF community brand on them.

I have some examples at hand;

Game Projects

I am not sure whether forums itself or a discord sections are more proper to this, but I imagine task sharing which gets all kind of people along; Coders, artists, sound actors or artists, writers. I actually believe people on MLPF would be willing to work on such a thing.

Media - Video - Likely MLP related

Media - Comic dubs

Art Collaborations

Maybe it would be also to use them for donation gathering (either for MLPF or charity), as in; If you like this, you might want to support the platform behind it.

2. Binding the community bonds

Somewhat including the first bullet point.

My idea is finding a way to get more people together on MLPF who share the same interests.

Especially those who could do something over the internet I assume.

Some examples I can think of;

Computer/video Gaming

General video media, such as cartoons, anime, movies, other series - Maybe with watch parties?

In general, there exist topics for these, and specific things even. But I feel they are at least hard to find, or find other users enjoying these as well. I wonder if a) it is a matter of organization, maybe with a master thread for each of these acting as an index to other topics and listing them and b) maybe a flexible profile/interest checkbox, where users can also add interests themselves, but it is checked whether it already exists. It would be great if there would be also a way to search for other users of the same, or with the own interests entered, then.

An easy way to do for now might be simply adding a flex text field as in "searching partners for..."

(Maybe also a steam group?)

Art groups - On DA for instance, a MLPF user group where everyone creating art is an user at MLPF. Not convinced DB offers such a feature (maybe a custom tag could be added for that, like *mlpf artists*?)

Edit:

Board games - This is a tough one, but either via internet simulators or these were you only need very few pieces, such as Room Escapes, simply card games everyone has lying around or verbal games like Werewolves and then being in a video call, idk. Easier when only one has to share his camera I guess, so games with a central piece.

Just some thoughts, and nothing really fleshed out, but maybe worth some thinking.

Edit: I think on some of these subscribers could also get a bonus similar on how patreons gets some somewhere else, like early-access to medias, paint sketches, etc.

Edited by Bas
  • Excited 1
  • Pondering 2

With our powers combined.. lets make season 10 :crackle: Ponies, by the people, for the people, hoora~

I am a hobby animator, I would really-really love to work with you guys, I have a story in production, it's on my youtube channel, check it out, the link is in my profile (don't allow it's name to scare you, it will be very different)! It would be great full to get some advice, help from you, currently I need vocals too for the project.
Or simply just to come together doing stuff with you would be super!

I absolutely support this idea, one of the best now!

Life Advice chat

Basically exists on the GOG server, so maybe this just needs to be advertised in the LA section, and a channel added or renamed at the GOG server.

tagging @skysweep because GoG is his department.

Considering this a MLP forums after all and some ponies are gaming here...

Virtual MLP games meetups/parties

Since there seem to be quite some MLP games...why don't join together watching or playing them? Quite some are multiplayer, others not, and maybe watching esp. some with story is even interesting for non-gamers. There seem to be quite some different genres though, quite some are RPG, others are hacks of SNES games (Super Mario games, for instance), and there is a Smash Fighters clone!

This could prove as an opportunity to both play with others or learning about what other mlp games are out there.

There is also a software that can both share a screen and emulate inputs as if they are coming from the same computer in order to play share-screen games like Ponyvania or Super Smash Ponies in order to play as a party.

Aside from no statement from staff regarding this yet (I don't mean this as any judgemental), I merely put different ideas on here, and everypony is invited to do the same, hence, brainstorming.

You won’t find me commenting on this directly save to say that I am all for community engagement. I’m a doer not a talker so I am paying attention to suggestions posted here. 

We already have the Discord server. Everyone's welcome to join and we can do events there. There's gaming channels and other stuff. We're a VIP server so people streaming games and stuff will in general work better too. We have a suggestions channel too so that stuff like this can directly come to the server too so that we can involve that community!

@LadyMercury I think it is to unstructured mostly if just some on discord alone. I believe it needs some planningin general, meeting up, setting up whens and whats.

The server can handle that, or the new convention server if need be could handle the meetup aspect if that's something that's wanted.

I meant to talk about virtual meetups,like planning or scheduling events instead of chatting who wanrs to doX Right now?? No one? Ok, bye triple :sadface:

because in my exp it simply doenat work out most the time spontanously.

(edited)

I am having some structure about collaborative creative MLPF user projects in my mind right now, but these would require some administrative, and maybe too much, work on MLPF:

I imagine a board area for "hosted" projects in general (where users can announce new projects as well), then sub-boards for the various projects, different sub-boards of them like position/job postings (each position a single topic so it can be put right into the title whether it is still open or closed), progress, releases, that stuff.

I try to visualize (game projects used as an example):

hosted boards

- Project A

-- Job/position postings

-- Releases

-- Current progress with things like screenshots, etc.

- Project B

-- Job/position postings

-- Releases

-- Current progress with things like screenshots, etc.

I know this might be quite some administrative task, but I see quite some value in that structure.

Edited by Bas

artist watch parties

watching love how art is done and maybe even the artist sharing how he or she does it!

Basically also a learning opportunity!

Regarding fan games discussion

This suggestion is obviously bound to whether there is or will be enough interest for that content.

I personally think currently the correct forums area for pony games is either SCC or Media. I believe that pony games will just get forgotten there, however.

So, just to let some structured thoughts on the loose; I imagine a forums (sub) area dedicated to pony games - I meanwhile think you can easily find 30 and more of them!

I would create an overview topic for the games as I suggested some time before - You can check on my blog for a prototype of that post.

Then I'd include links to the forums discussion topics, which include a poll, and depending on the poll results the overview would actually give suggestions in quality, as well as...well, showing which games aren't perceived as...polished as others.

On 10/20/2019 at 4:57 PM, Bas said:

Regarding fan games discussion

This suggestion is obviously bound to whether there is or will be enough interest for that content.

I personally think currently the correct forums area for pony games is either SCC or Media. I believe that pony games will just get forgotten there, however.

So, just to let some structured thoughts on the loose; I imagine a forums (sub) area dedicated to pony games - I meanwhile think you can easily find 30 and more of them!

I would create an overview topic for the games as I suggested some time before - You can check on my blog for a prototype of that post.

Then I'd include links to the forums discussion topics, which include a poll, and depending on the poll results the overview would actually give suggestions in quality, as well as...well, showing which games aren't perceived as...polished as others.

I don’t want to create any permanent sub forums. We have too many of those. Heck I’m looking to condense. MLPF got really bloated over the years. 

I mean, if people want to build a game we have a forum for that already. Two in fact. If people want to share games already made the best place for that would be a database or a thread in Sugarcube. 

Don’t look for anything like this in the next year. Blogs and threads are an awesome place to share your favorite pony games. Heck EqD puts them in an easy to find section on their site too! Ratings and polls only work if you have a lot of votes. Good idea if we had more traffic. 

I hope this doesn't qualify as backtalking, but some thoughts, which might actually not even be good ideas, but just write them anyways.

If people are willing to host user events - How would they not get lost and the fitting attention? I am thinking of stuff like I suggested before, with fixed dates and time, but maybe also watch parties people might be doing as successor of the FMNs.

Independent of what you just wrote above, my thought would be another sub-area, maybe even right from forums events? I don't know. I imagine anyone going to host user events and putting effort and energy into it will prob let these events fall if nobody attends them - Especially if it is not out of no interest but rather because nobody knows or remember about them.

MLPF user projects:

One reason I believe a forums area, at least for all of them together, is beneficial is because of the attention I wrote above as well as identity. If someone right now posts a topic about creating something people incl. me will prob have or get the mentally Oh, someone is doing a project and might need help  or It is his/her stuff. That's at least not what I envision these projects to be: Community driven. Instead of the thoughts above, my idea is more that people are thinking Woah! Someone plans a new thing to do as a community! Maybe I can do my part in there? and That's OUR project! Not mine, not his, ours all together! It is is basically about the identity and perceived responsibility.

You might not agree with my thoughts, but I felt the urge to put my reasoning here.

26 minutes ago, Bas said:

One reason I believe a forums area, at least for all of them together, is beneficial is because of the attention I wrote above as well as identity. If someone right now posts a topic about creating something people incl. me will prob have or get the mentally Oh, someone is doing a project and might need help  or It is his/her stuff. That's at least not what I envision these projects to be: Community driven. Instead of the thoughts above, my idea is more that people are thinking Woah! Someone plans a new thing to do as a community! Maybe I can do my part in there? and That's OUR project! Not mine, not his, ours all together! It is is basically about the identity and perceived responsibility.

Something like this is already planned for Octavia’s Hall. There is a reason why I consolidate all the “Creative Resources” forums in one place instead of each one being housed under their respective art type. 

OH and RP are what I’ll personally be working on. 

@Bas, so when's your MLPF project will finished, or how long will it be done?

Badges

No offense, but I am not sure about which project you are talking, aside from making an overview of MLP games.

2 hours ago, Bas said:

No offense, but I am not sure about which project you are talking, aside from making an overview of MLP games.

both of them.

Badges

If you are counting this topic itself, it is really just for idea-gathering and discussing them.

The other topic - Aside from never being finished I guess, my will of continuing that list definitively depends on people giving me feedback in the sense they are interested in that type of content. I am not too motivated in putting energy and work into something nobody is going to read through anyways. So if you like that list...give some feedback on the topic!

I might also do some discord MLP (and MLP horror) games streaming on Halloween if ponies are in for that.

(edited)

This is a thought, and maybe was done in the past before - Talking about it will take surprise away from people in case it happens, so I better spoiler this one.

Spoiler

Collecting Charity Donation tips for artworks, stories...what else? Pony games?

Not sure whether on site or somewhere else - fimfiction, derpybooru, deviantart. The idea basically being within a community event such produced content would be put online on such a platform or MLPF and people would be encouraged to donate small amounts to charity if they like/love the work instead to the creators.

I think in general DB hosted such events, without having participated in any, one I "read" about was (lewd project word incoming as well as a guess what it was about):

Spoiler

Clop for a Cause

Not ruling out there have been more...I wonder if MLPF/PV couldn't do the same, or contribute to such projects - SFW, of course!

Also written in Discord-Suggestions:

MLPF/PV Gaming Hubs and member search

Not sure if this would work on MLPF, or well on it, but I wonder if there would be an easier way to actually connect pony/PV gamers together.

Or if a different (new?) website might be more helping with that.

I am thinking of databases of games, and one can uhm, check with a search and their profile if and which other users are playing the same, and maybe some community lobbies/chatrooms/clans/whatever within these games for these players.

Technically, for that task done simply, maybe even google forms or any database with GUI frontend done nicely could do that job.

A bit OT, but something I have observed recently in the FCs:

Not sure if it is just me, but I would prefer sexualized/lewd/suggestive pictures in fan clubs having to be mandotory in spoiler tags. I saw some pretty suggestive pictures unprotected, this can leave people uneasy and uncomfortable who don't want to see them, children, maybe with parents browsing with them (probably kinda unlikely) and maybe even getting people into trouble at work/school/friends when they encounter such a picture unintentionally and get caught by someone.

Edited by Bas