Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you prefer between Friendship games and Legend of Everfree?

Azureth

This opinion is a bit negative ~

I’ll be honest, I dislike all of the 

Equestria Girls movies. They aren’t bad per se but more so...cringey. Regardless, if I had to choose of the two given movies, I would choose My Little Pony: Equestria Girls - Legend of Everfree. I choose this one because it is enjoyable to make fun of it. The Bronies React series did an excellent reaction video to it and they teased it to pieces.

I can’t get over the ridiculousness of the students taking part in motocross race on a high school campus. Where did the school buy the bikes from? Did the students have to take lessons on how to drive them prior to the competition? Was a waiver signed? 

:laugh:

I feel Legend of Everfree avoids most of FG's issues, which was having a better villain and plot.

FG suffers from both a shitty bait and switch and wasted potential. They hyped the shit out of the Shadow five, and having an evil version of the mane 6 sounds pretty interesting especially when they were all original characters+Diet Lightning Dust. It's like they saw how well received the Dazzlings were and were like "You guys like having three evil waifuls? Well BAM! Here's five!." And then some genius decided to have them not have much to do in the movie and instead focus on some crabby old lady that no one ever knew about right until the movie came out, which was really shitty given how terrible of a villain she was. There was also the dropped "Homesick Sunset" plot that got dropped, and then Twilight transfering to Canterlot High, instead of just letting her stay in Crystal Prep and becoming friends with the Shadow 5. It's like they were afraid of having a group of girls without Twilight and needed Sci Twi around instead of letting Sunset and the rest of the girls carry the series, especially given how popular Sunset turned out to be

Edited by Kiryu-Chan
  • Brohoof 2

Hmm... I'd give LoE the edge in that it's more coherent than Friendship Games, which tried to reconcile a lot of different elements. it was also nice to get away from Canterlot High, which had dominated the previous three movies, for a bit.

(BTW, Rainbow Rocks is better than both and Through the Mirror close to Friendship Games - perhaps a bit under.)

Legend of Everfree does a better job of utilizing the characters it has at its disposal by allowing everyone to contribute in their own way. Gloriosa also made for a more sympathetic villain as she was trying her best to save the camp only to become consumed by magic she didn't really understand. Also, Sunset shows herself to be a true mentor by guiding Sci-Twi on how to move on past being a monster as both of them put it.

Legend of Everfree. Besides being the best of the four EQG films, it has the tightest plot, better side characters, better villain, and does a better job connecting Equestrian magic to Pedestria than any other film by far.

• Brohoof 1

Well, one has so much wasted potential and the other has a really frustrating element, so I don't really like either of them compared to the other EQG movies, however, Friendship Games wins.

Friendship Games had a lot of wasted potential, from the cut Sunset story to the final scene that never amounted to anything else, and also for some reason felt the need to include Sci-Twi, a human Twilight, in the group, despite there already being both a way to communicate and get Twilight(pony) and a main character who was very capable of being the lead heroine.  I also kind of wish that the Crystal Prep main 5 students had done more, but they were pretty funny, and they did help the story, so they were fine(except for Indigo Zap, who had no time to shine, and Sunny Flare who has no personality and never gained any).  However, it is an enjoyable movie as well as actually having a plot that makes Sci-Twi semi-sympathetic, and by that, I mean she could have thrown the pendent away or destroyed it as soon as she saw that it was hurting people, her dog got zapped by magic because of her pendent, and Sci-Twi still continues to use it.  A whole bunch of giant plants try to eat the students participating in the event, plus her and her dog, she gets yelled at for using it and she still continues to keep it around her neck, despite knowing full well that she has no idea how this works, how to control it, or how to fix things the pendent does.  Although I do like angry Sunset, I do think she was a bit harsh on Sci-Twi.

Now, Legend of Everfree on the other hoof, did not have any wasted potential, but it was still pretty bad.  And there is one main reason for this.  It's obviously not Sunset, and it's not Spike.  It's not even the "No offense"s.  My problem with Legend of Everfree is the person it's focused around, Sci-Twi.  Pushing aside the fact that it was super unfair for Sunset, the person who should have had her own plot in Friendship Games, had to wait 5 movies to get her own solo one while the human Twilight shoved in because I don't know why gets to have two solo movies for her first and second movie, this movie was the reason why I hated Sci-Twi for so long, and even now I'm pretty biased against her.  Remember Rainbow Rocks, where Sunset has a lot of external conflict, but she doesn't do very much to any moping, certainly not to anywhere near the degree Sci-Twi was.  Sure, I can get that you're scared, but that doesn't mean all you do about your problems is sing a song about how you need to hide your problems, even from your talking dog.  I think having the movie very much focused on Sci-Twi really highlighted her moping and refusing to get help for herself a lot more than if this had been a Sunset-Sci-Twi movie, or really any other combination with Sci-Twi.  Yeah, maybe it's just a me problem, but it was very frustrating to sit through Legend of Everfree once I realized that all Sci-Twi was doing was moping and refusing to get help for herself, even though she doesn't have reason to do that, the whole school has been making her feel welcome, she already has a great group of friends, and she basically has her own friendship teacher and therapy dog.

Basically, Friendship Games is easier and more enjoyable for me to watch than Legend of Everfree, but they're both still the second and third worst EQG movies on my list.

Legend of Everfree because I like it the most out of all EqG movies. The songs were great, and the over all story telling was just nice. It made me open up my eyes for the writers Kristine Sonco and Joanna Lewis, which later gave us "A Royal Problem" and "The Perfect Pair" (do I even have to say more?).

I actually forgot about Friendship Games until Bronies React reminded me it even existed, and I was not a fan. I liked Rainbow Rocks for its songs, but Friendship Games doesn't really have anything that interests me.

Friendship Games since it's the only halfway decent EQG movie. There are problems (most notably how formulaic the second act is), but I think Sci-Twi is the best character of any of the EQG movies and it's funnier than both Rainbow Rocks and Legend of Everfree. 

Legend of Everfree is insanely mediocre and a step down from Friendship Games in pretty much every way. It looks worse, it sounds worse, Sci-Twi is worse, the comedy is so much worse, and the writing is worse. The dialogue is trash. The only redeemable things are Gloriosa and some of the interactions between Sci-Twi and Timber... Yet it's still better than Rainbow Rocks. 

Oh and the first EQG is by far my favorite. Overall incompetence aside, It's the most entertaining by a long shot. 

Friendship Games is a mess but it's got its heart in the right place and I still find it pretty fun. It feels almost unfinished, because there's all sorts of scenes that go nowhere and events that don't have any buildup, but it has some interesting ideas and a lot of charm. 

Meanwhile, Legend of Everfree bored me senseless. Could not connect to Twilight's plight at all, because I was never sure how seriously I should take it. Maybe I would get it more on a second viewing but it's 45 minutes long and incredibly mild so I don't really want to do that. 

• Brohoof 4

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, frida said:

The truth, both are so bad for the inclusion of Sci-Twi, but I prefer Friendship Games, because at least it doesn't focus too much on Twilight

What's wrong with Sci-Twi?

• Brohoof 1