Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Who doesn't like Star Trek like I do?

PCutter

I'm not a big fan of the original series. John de Lancie's role as Discord and Patrick Stewart's role as Charles Xavier were what convinced me to finally watch The Next Generation a couple years ago and I really do enjoy that series. Im probably gonna watch Picard when it comes out and then I'll try and get on the other stuff the franchise has to offer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2019 at 11:37 PM, Latecomer said:

Then why make a thread about it?

Because I'm sick of everyone I meet online and IRL breathing down my neck about how ST is "iconic."

1 hour ago, PCutter said:

Because I'm sick of everyone I meet online and IRL breathing down my neck about how ST is "iconic."

And by making this thread, didn't you just attract a bunch of Star Trek fans? 

On 10/18/2019 at 9:43 AM, PCutter said:

Because for one, I just don't. Don't make me explain why.

Second, since it has SO much runtime

• ~513 hours (Star Trek television) + ~25 hours (Star Trek films)
  • ~84 hours (Star Wars films) + Star Wars canon series + expanded universe films and TV productions.

I am not planning to spend the next 5 decades watching every single piece of material.

"let me explain why" you say and then give a single reason, "it's too long" 

wat.

On 11/6/2019 at 10:17 AM, PCutter said:

So it's self-defeating and an attempt to just state how offended you are by somebody else's opinion over simple disagreement? OK.

Plus, I've been around a lot of people who like Star Trek, and nobody ever tried to "breathe down my neck" about it. My dad and my uncle are how I got into it in the first place, being fans of it basically since the time Next Gen started airing in the late 80's.

Edited by Ayyngel Dust

On 11/11/2019 at 5:23 AM, Olly said:

"let me explain why" you say and then give a single reason, "it's too long" 

wat.

On 11/11/2019 at 7:05 AM, Ayyngel Dust said:

So it's self-defeating and an attempt to just state how offended you are by somebody else's opinion over simple disagreement? OK.

Plus, I've been around a lot of people who like Star Trek, and nobody ever tried to "breathe down my neck" about it. My dad and my uncle are how I got into it in the first place, being fans of it basically since the time Next Gen started airing in the late 80's.

I don't expect you to care or understand. I am just so done with every person I met before forcing me to watch how godly it is when I don't want to.

@PCutter So let me see if I get this straight...

You've never watched it, but you saw tons of over-excited fans talking non-stop about it, and they were so overbearing that you decided you don't like it and can't be bothered to actually check it out? (Feels like I've heard this happening before, specifically with cartoon horses...)
And further more, you made a topic like this... For what? To share a symbolic high-five with all the other people who don't like Star Trek? That's not a discussion, that's an echo chamber.

If you've prematurely made up your mind about Star Trek and refuse to even check it out to verify whether it actually is or isn't worth your time, then there's no point in trying to convince you why it's good. You've all ready made up your mind. But as you said, this isn't about trying to convince you why it's good. It's about how you don't like it and how you're trying to connect with others who feel the same. Which is ironic, because of all the people in this thread who don't like Star Trek, most of them actually watched a little of it before hand. So they have more experience with it than you do.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only thing I can point to, if it makes any difference in this, is some interesting historical significance compared to Star Wars (since it was brought up).

These two franchises are rivals, and yet they are like two sides of the same coin.
Star Wars focuses more on pure fantasy elements; where as Star Trek tries to be realistic by being ground in a plausible-future aspect. Star Wars was born as a cinematic franchise, Star Trek was famous as a TV series first, but both have gone back and fourth between those two mediums. Both have had comics and books to help extend their universes. Both have had cartoons and canon spin-offs. And both have long lasting success that still appeals to people even today.

It's hard to say which is the more successful franchise.
Star Wars has introduced and changed the dynamic of their fantasy elements a few times, leading some fans divided and critical, not to mention not every story or spin-off has been gold. And the future Star Trek talked about never happened, not to mention a lot of their techno-jargon doesn't exactly hold up over time. But just because both of these franchises have very valid criticisms doesn't change the fact they've clearly connected to audiences on a deeper level, and that's an amazing thing!

Look, deep down, I get it. Sometimes feelings are irrational. If something doesn't vibe with you, then you're not going feel inclined to check it out. Sometimes franchises can be that way. In this scenario, I'm not gonna be like those parents that say "Try your vegetables first, then decide if you like it or hate it." Sometimes we look at one fictional property, we see it attracting a lot of fans, and we see "Huh. I wonder what that's all about. Maybe I'll go see it for myself." Other times, we look at a fictional property, we see it attracting lots of fans, and we say "Ugh. No thanks. I don't think this is for me." It's all pure random chance. Sometimes our gut instincts were right, sometimes they're wrong. If Star Wars is more your speed, then have it. Glad you found something you like, hope it keeps you happy in the long run. But if you're ever curious, if you ever ask yourself "Was I wrong? Did I judge this show too soon?", if you ever feel like checking it out anyways... I recommend the original series and/or The Next Generation. Anything else can wait until afterwards.

Edited by Samurai Equine
  • Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

@Toshigami EquineI forgot. I DID watch only bits of some episodes of the original series.

I HATED them.

Because it never sparked my interest and people kept nagging that I should give it a second chance when I made it clear I will never want to have ST in my life.

I need nothing else than SW.

Edited by PCutter

@PCutter Well, I won't nag you about it. Trust me, as someone who is part of the Tokusatsu fandom, I get plenty of people telling me to "Watch the Power Rangers version! You'll like it!" And then, when I tell them "I saw the first two episodes; it wasn't for me", they try to guilt-trip me by saying "So you didn't really give it a chance, did you?" No, I did give it a chance! I'm not going to watch every episode just to make someone else happy. That's not giving it a chance, that's commitment.

I don't know what bits and pieces you saw. Maybe it was from episodes that weren't even that great; after all, some shows have a lame beginning but get better as it goes on. Either way, you've made up your mind, and I'll respect your wishes. :)

But you've also proven my point. You're not really here for a discussion, and you don't want anyone to actually change your mind about Star Wars. You've made up your mind that you don't like it, and thus there's no conversation to be had. You have to understand that once someone makes up their mind, that's it. It doesn't matter what anyone says. No amazing facts or trivia will make you think twice. You might consider it, but ultimately, it's up to YOU give Star Trek another chance.

Think of it like this...

I told you about what happened to me in the Tokusatsu fan community. I'm not that big a fan of Power Rangers; I prefer the original Japanese version, Super Sentai. Once I gave "Power Rangers Lost Galaxy" a try (first two episodes), and didn't like it. But I kept hearing people talk about it as part of the golden age of Power Rangers, even though the Zordon Era was basically over. Well, one day, I caved in and decided I want to see what the big fuss was about. And I did it by myself. I watched every episode, and was pleasantly surprised! I can easily say that Lost Galaxy is an amazing spiritual successor to its Japanese counterpart, Gingaman. I didn't have other fans constantly harassing me, asking me questions, or anything. I didn't do it for them, I did it for myself, I did by myself.

I CHOSE to give it a second chance.
No one made me. No one convinced me.

In the end, PCutter, it's up to you to make that decision. If you're done with Star Trek, then I hope you live a happy life and find other things that you enjoy! Glad you tried it. :laugh: But if you ever start to doubt yourself, if you ever want to try it again and put aside your original judgement, if you ever want to give more than just a few episode a try; then I wish you luck. I think all the shows are still on Netflix, but there are probably other places where you can watch it. Just be sure to cast out any distractions, go full-on clean slate, and dedicate some free time so that you can give it your full undivided attention. Maybe you'll find the answers you were looking for after all.

But no matter what happens... Take care!

Edited by Toshigami Equine
  • Brohoof 1

On 12/9/2019 at 8:40 AM, FestiveEnergy said:

I haven't watched Star Trek, so I can't say that I like or dislike it; however, I don't intend to watch it at all because it just doesn't seem that interesting to me.

Ditto

On 11/6/2019 at 10:17 AM, PCutter said:

Well, you can't ague with them on that point. It is undeniably "iconic". Like or dislike Star Trek, it most definitely HAS left a massive mark on pop culture. Just like how people who aren't even really into Star Wars can identify the symbols of the Empire and the Rebellion, people who aren't into Star Trek can recognize the Slarfleet logo. It's become an icon, therefore, it's "iconic".

s-l300.jpg

On 12/13/2019 at 5:07 PM, JingLBabe said:

Well, you can't ague with them on that point. It is undeniably "iconic". Like or dislike Star Trek, it most definitely HAS left a massive mark on pop culture. Just like how people who aren't even really into Star Wars can identify the symbols of the Empire and the Rebellion, people who aren't into Star Trek can recognize the Slarfleet logo. It's become an icon, therefore, it's "iconic".

s-l300.jpg

And the SW symbols are ALL I remember. I  can't even think of one that even non-ST watchers know.