Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you like and dislike about Tempest?

Shine Runner

She's basically a useless character; that's all there is to know about her. Nothing is deep or clever about her; just another """""victim"""""" who actually turned out to be good, what a surprise.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Xeltor said:

She's basically a useless character; that's all there is to know about her. Nothing is deep or clever about her; just another """""victim"""""" who actually turned out to be good, what a surprise.

What would you prefer be done with her?

I like her badassness and how she represents a pony who has been lost to the harshness of the Outside. Oh, and her dynamic with Grubber.

I don't really like her being a much weaker villain's lackey, but that's more on him. It might have been cool if she had been the main villain herself.

On 10/19/2019 at 11:08 PM, Shine Runner said:

What would you prefer be done with her?

If you make a character just for the hell of it, then don't make the character in the first place. Songs, badassness, cool design, all of that is skin; the character's utility/purpose in a story is the core of the character. She was kinda important only in the context of the movie - and that's it. They could have expended her role in the series as someone who has another point of view of the world, one that the mane 6 might not share; it could have been interesting to see how that point of view  manifests itself after she becomes "good" . But no - we see her reformed, andddd... that's it. You don't just change in a blink of an eye like that.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Xeltor said:

If you make a character just for the hell of it, then don't make the character in the first place. Songs, badassness, cool design, all of that is skin; the character's utility/purpose in a story is the core of the character. She was kinda important only in the context of the movie - and that's it. They could have expended her role in the series as someone who has another point of view of the world, one that the mane 6 might not share; it could have been interesting to see how that point of view  manifests itself after she becomes "good" . But no - we see her reformed, andddd... that's it. You don't just change in a blink of an eye like that.

If she's a pivotal piece in the movie, then how is that "useless"? 

8 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

If she's a pivotal piece in the movie, then how is that "useless"? 

When you make a movie canonical in a franchise, you might expect the events happening to have some importance in the universe it's set it. This movie doesn't - why should I care for a character I've known only for a few hours, when there are others I've known for years? What does this movie add to the universe it's set in? Not much - only the hippogriffs. Be weary of my words: She was important in the movie, not in the FIM universe at all, and that's a shame for a canonical movie. But if you want, let's focus on the movie.

There is also another thing: her character was interesting for like 75% of the movie... but then they absolutely had to ruin it by saying "hey! she's actually nice and all, let's forgive her literal acts of war , fueled by pure selflessness". She was the victim , sure.. as a foal. They could have made the character much more interesting by showing that she's simply too far gone, after commiting a lot of things for the storm king against her kind. That would have been really interesting to see - she has some good in her, but she's simply too deep in it to get out of it so easily.

• Brohoof 1

33 minutes ago, Xeltor said:

When you make a movie canonical in a franchise, you might expect the events happening to have some importance in the universe it's set it.

Not if you're experienced with tie-in movies - and especially not if all of the new character's actors are way out of the show's price range.

And I don't know if Twilight reaching her a bit "ruined" her. She pretty much existed to be a Grade A befriending challenge. Now admittedly, perhpas Twi should have put more work into it, but the movie was overstuffed as it is. (That's one reason I think maybe she should have been the Storm Queen instead of making another character.)

23 hours ago, Latecomer said:

Not if you're experienced with tie-in movies - and especially not if all of the new character's actors are way out of the show's price range.

And I don't know if Twilight reaching her a bit "ruined" her. She pretty much existed to be a Grade A befriending challenge. Now admittedly, perhpas Twi should have put more work into it, but the movie was overstuffed as it is. (That's one reason I think maybe she should have been the Storm Queen instead of making another character.)

I didn't understand the tie in part - and while I agree with the second part, they can change voice actors; happened before, can happen again.

The movie was overstuffed, true. But I just see it as a missed opportunity you know? Someone who went deep into her crimes (because that's what they are), trying to get back. I'm not saying she should stay a villain forever - but I didn't expect here to be toity nice like in the blink of an eye.

I see we diverge on this point; we won't be able to agree so might as well stop :laugh:  But if you want let's continue in MPs

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, Xeltor said:

I didn't understand the tie in part - and while I agree with the second part, they can change voice actors; happened before, can happen again.

The movie was overstuffed, true. But I just see it as a missed opportunity you know? Someone who went deep into her crimes (because that's what they are), trying to get back. I'm not saying she should stay a villain forever - but I didn't expect here to be toity nice like in the blink of an eye.

I see we diverge on this point; we won't be able to agree so might as well stop :laugh:  But if you want let's continue in MPs

What do you think of getting rid of the Storm King and making her Storm Queen instead? Then there might be more time to get into her stuff.

12 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

What do you think of getting rid of the Storm King and making her Storm Queen instead? Then there might be more time to get into her stuff.

If they did that and STILL made her become good by the end, it'd be even worse. Just imagine: you take an army to your original land, declare war, emprison the rulers of the land and still being forgiven because people were mean to you as a child?

She could make a good villain tho as the storm Queen tho. If we assume they wouldn't have done that (i.e make her good by the end), they yeah, that could be nice. It's really not hard at all to make a better villain than that Storm King. For me Tempest should have been too far gone to be forgiven that easily. (the same for Discord for exemple)

Edited by Xeltor
  • Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Xeltor said:

If they did that and STILL made her become good by the end, it'd be even worse. Just imagine: you take an army to your original land, declare war, emprison the rulers of the land and still being forgiven because people were mean to you as a child?

She could make a good villain tho as the storm Queen tho. If we assume they wouldn't have done that, they yeah, that could be nice. It's really not hard at all to make a better villain than that Storm King.

Well they could be ambiguous about the forgiveness part. Perhaps have her make a full-on redemptive sacrifice.

5 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

Well they could be ambiguous about the forgiveness part. Perhaps have her make a full-on redemptive sacrifice.

But what would she sacrifice herself for in that case? She would be the main villain in that scenario; what sacrifice would she make?

For me Tempest should have been too far gone - just because someone has some good in them doesn't mean they should be forgiven. She's literally a war criminal here, and let's not lie, she was ready to give away her entire race's freedom  to some dude king for her horn back. What is there to forgive here? She was an outcast after losing her horn, sure - but her actions are her responsability. She isn't a victim anymore.

Obviously she could be reformed, but that would actually take more time than just a movie - maybe a sequel could have done that, or end the movie with her still not reformed, but at least moved by kindness or whatever

Edited by Xeltor
  • Brohoof 1

Just now, Xeltor said:

But what would she sacrifice herself for in that case? She would be the main villain in that scenario; what sacrifice would she make?

For me Tempest should have been too far gone - just because someone has some good in them doesn't mean they should be forgiven. She's literally a war criminal here, and let's not lie, she was ready to give away her entire race's freedom  to some dude king for her horn back. What is there to forgive here? She was an outcast after losing her horn, sure - but her actions are her responsability. 

Obviously she could be reformed, but that would actually take more time than just a movie - maybe a sequel could have done that, or end the movie with her still not reformed, but at least moved by kindness or whatever

To take down another villain (maybe do something with Grubber?) or just stop the out-of-control storm magic she had unleashed.

Tempest needs a lot of work to recover, but starting? That Twilight and co. can kick off in a well-written movie.

2 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

To take down another villain (maybe do something with Grubber?) or just stop the out-of-control storm magic she had unleashed.

Tempest needs a lot of work to recover, but starting? That Twilight and co. can kick off in a well-written movie.

I thought of that; still don't see how she can be even trusted ( it's like someone playing with a nuclear button, pressing it, and then is "oh shit I have to stop it". They may want to stop it afterwards, but they're still a prick)

And why not make her into her own thing? She "opened up her eyes" (heh see what I did there) to the world's injustice, but also to "kindness " or whatever. She has a grey vision of the world, let's not brainwash her with the mane 6 method ( yes, I call it brainwashing); like Vegeta in Dragon ball . I don't know if you know the character, but the dude took some years to actually become good and fight not for himself but for his family. Tempest should have followed a similar path for me - okay not years to recover, like maybe another movie and some appearance in the show centered around her. But for now? She's still pretty much a war criminal set loose, and as far as the ponies know, she may take another deal with a new villain to have her horn back. She didn't, but the characters can't know for sure. 

It's the same thing for Discord for me - but that'd be getting away from the topic's purpose

• Brohoof 1

On 10/21/2019 at 2:10 PM, DivineShadow1000 said:

Like? Nothing...

Reveal hidden contents

Because I love every single thing about her! :yay:

IMG_1475.thumb.PNG.c9b88fbf0b887a58ab4c3727eb4c22a9.PNG4595C713-CEA1-4E9A-87C7-6ED944576BE5.jpeg.0ccd3bd29b28f5abbcee264f579495fd.jpeg

Well of course when shes drawn like THAT she is an adorable lil loveable mare!

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Xeltor said:

I thought of that; still don't see how she can be even trusted ( it's like someone playing with a nuclear button, pressing it, and then is "oh shit I have to stop it". They may want to stop it afterwards, but they're still a prick)

Is trust required if whatever allowed her to be a threat (like an army) is neutralised?

And I think she'll always be rough, but I don't think her still being evil at the end of the standalone movie is best.

• Brohoof 1

I agreed with @Xeltor to some degree. While I love this character I still think her reformation was a little too quick. Hence I think they should’ve made the movie longer instead of fast forwarding everything. You know give each new characters some time to shine or develop. 

That being said I was even more disappointed with what the IDW friendship is magic did to her character after her reformation. I’m going to tag spoiler just in case for this 

Spoiler

I like the idea Tempest haven’t lose her edge but when she got to meet old friend, glitter drop that’s when it want down hill. So apparently it’s turn out according to Glitter drop on why she and Rain spring (whatever his name was) stop hanging out with or talk to Tempest was because they were caught up with their magic school and were too busy to even say ‘hello’. 

what the fuck?

so basically the comic implied that “oh my friends abandon me because such such” was all in Tempest’s head? When in the movie we simply just saw that her friends DID indeed abandoned her. 

a great way to make this even worst for Tempest’s backstory guys!

• Brohoof 1

I really like her character and I empathize with her from every direction. I'm glad she was redeemed, but I do wish that she had an episode in the actual show instead of just being in the movie. 

See the thing is that Tempest is a deeper character than you think. She's not just "another victim of fate" or anything like that. She had a traumatic experience and was never shown the right way to deal with a big loss such as losing your horn. For a unicorn, their horn is of course a very big deal...and furthermore, because her friends noticed the difference, they started to drift away from her, leaving her all alone. She had no one to teach her that when things like this happen, you have to learn that life can be unpredictable, but you must stay strong and that you are you no matter what changes you've gone through. 

It took Twilight saving Tempest for Tempest to realize that life is more than just going after revenge or trying to regain something you've lost. Yes, The Storm King betrayed Tempest, but that's where Twilight's lesson about outside vs inside comes into play. Tempest may have lost her horn, but that doesn't render her useless.  

• 3 months later...

Her character was absolutely great! She felt a lot darker than the other redeemed characters, and thus more real somehow? And the losing her horn thing was...painful, really. I loved her personality and her backstory was done well, but...her design isn't the most appealing. I know she's MEANT to look dark and foreboding, but they could have easily gotten the same effect with a more black colour scheme as opposed to weird reddish/maroon one she has? It's not a major nitpick or anything, I just don't like her colours all that much; other than that, I think she's great in every sense ^_^

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

I think to be honest fizzle pop berry twist just needs friendship after what happened to her as a child closing her heart off to everyone and then being this hardend baddass so she just needs to be loved

On 10/19/2019 at 1:07 PM, Shine Runner said:

I think she's really cool! What do you think her Cutie Mark is? (Also, how do I tag posts?)

She had two very cool spin kick animations in the Movie. Other than that, she looks intimidating and sexy at the same time. She isn't really that powerful, compared to the Storm King (which did almost nothing intimidating at all, and just goofed around).

Her Cutie Mark is probably Storm King's symbol :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 1