Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books Do you prefer digital, physical, or audio books?

Muffinnz

what type of books do you like best?  

39 users have voted

1. 1. what type of books do you like best?

• physical
    • digital
    • audio

• 10 months later...

physical for sure,displaying them sometimes spark conversations about your favorite books when someone who knows them or is looking for recomendations see them, and with physical you can always lend them to friends or even trade/sell them if they didn't fit your tastes
as for audiobooks, they give you the option to multitask which makes it easier to find the time to "read" so i see the appeal there
digital on the other hand, i really don't like buying digital stuff in general, be it books or videogames, it feels like paying full price only to borrow it

• Brohoof 2

I prefer physical books to have them as a collection and to have a chance to look away from screens for a while. I like digital books for school, though, just because you can highlight without ruining the pages and if you need to find a certain word, you can just search for it in the search bar.

• Brohoof 1

• 9 months later...

It depends a little .. If I want to dig really in a book, it needs to be physical. Digital books have never allowed me to get really into something. If I just need to look something up, a digital book is fine though. While audio books are nice, but they also do not allow me to dig deep into a story. But they are always an option to get to know a story while I'm doing other things, which is a fine option if I ran low on free time to read.

• Brohoof 1

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Audio books are fantastic because I can listen to them while at work. I just wish they weren't so dang expensive.

(edited)

Ebooks, though there is a certain charm to holding a physical copy in your hands. Still, I would rather have convenience over charm.

Regarding audio-books, I do not like them very much. Not just because it depends on the narrator, but also because of pacing. I like to read books at my own pace. So, it is kinda annoying having to move along, or pause. Because my mind tends to wonder on the concepts. Especially when I am reading fiction, and my imagination starts translating the text into a living world. Like a movie, but much better.

That said, I haven't read much, as of late.

Edited by They call me Loyalty
  • Brohoof 1

I like to read physical books. I don't like reading screens, although some ebook readers have that easy to read screen. But you can't argue with the convenience of being able to have hundreds of books electronically. I have been to many used book stores, and I think to myself, nobody will ever touch 99.9% of these books ever again; they might as well be recycled. But at least those books will exits somewhere in a database.

I like to get physical copies of books, however I prefer to get digital copies. While physical copies have their own set of boons, digital copies are much more convenient to have especially on the go and digital copies enable you to carry a library of books (or whatever you read) in just your pocket.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019-10-19 at 9:43 PM, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

I definitely prefer physical copies. I tend to write notes in the books I read. And to see my book collection grow on the shelves is far more satisfying than seeing some digital list grow longer.

I still feel the same way.

Also, I like to slide my hand across the spines of the books, smelling the books (unless they smell like cigarettes), feeling the texture and thickness of the page, leatherbound books are great, notes written by previous owners can be interesting (though excessively highlighted texts are not appreciated), a stiff book may make a sound when you open it, and so on. I appreciate these physical aspects of books, and, obviously, it would all be lacking in digital copies.

I prefer physical books just like most people. When I have a chance I read using them and I always put priority on buying these over digital ones.

With that being said I also read digital books on amazon kindle, when going for any kind of trip. It's far more comfortable than even mass paper market copies, takes up very little space and is simply more practical. Not to mention - leaves my physical books safe from any wear and tear caused by pushing them into my bag. 

The only kind of books I don't enjoy are audiobooks. They're an interesting idea, but I just don't find much enjoyment in "reading" them. I much prefer to read the text myself.

(edited)

I need my Kindle more and more due to my very poor eyesight. I was delighted to find a whole bunch of the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child at my library...In Large print!

I couldn't find them any place to illegally download.

I am so happy to hold physical books again!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

I've been slowly transitioning to relying on digital media largely because of space and convenience. Due to just how little time I have these days dealing with physical media becomes more cumbersome. That said, there are some cases where I do prefer physical over digital, BUT it depends on the media itself and can be a case-by-case basis.

Music - Purely digital
Books and comics - Purely digital, tho still have some physicals as mementos
Movies & TV - Transitioning to digital, tho sometimes but physical if movie/show is something I REALLY like
Video Games - I still hold on to physical media here, tho I can see myself transitioning here too. I just love owning and displaying game cases haha.

• 3 months later...

I like physical. I like actually having the thing in my hands. I have read digital, using tablet and phone, however, I did still want to get a physical of the odessy and illiad.

I first read Alices adventures in wonderland, in digital form. Now I own it in leatherbound + Through the looking glass and what Alice found there. + his other works. Gota love the leatherbound books I have, I have 6 they were quite expensive to buy all at the same time, more then $90.

:)

Edited by JuliaMaxOS