Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Finale ships thread

Quinch

So, with the finale cementing some ships and implying* others, I figure we should have a thread to properly argue despair vent deny discuss them.

Obviously, spoilers.

Also, correct me if I've missed anyone, which I almost certainly will.

---

So, my thoughts;

Big Mac and Sugar Belle: Well, that was kind of a given - if they weren't an item in the timeskip, that would raise soooo many questions. That said... I was never invested in those two, mainly because we haven't really seen anything between them that wasn't geared around them progressing their relationship rather than, y'know, having one.

Lyra and Bon Bon: That... I actually didn't expect. Which I really should have, I mean, Slice of Life showed us that the staff pay attention to fanon, even if they're forbidden from actually reading fanfiction. It's... nice. The question is... have they retired from SMILE?

Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich: I'm kinda.... not into it? I mean, they do have a lot of in common, mostly because their personalities almost completely overlap. But their relationship has been almost entirely based on their respective professions, so it just came out of nowhere.

Roseluck and Dr. Whooves {past, implied}: Eheeeh.... I get the reference, but it still feels like it should be Derpy.

Appledash {implied}: Yeah, they're totes an item. At first, it seemed completely nonsensical, but then I realized that it's their mutual competitiveness that would probably trigger a deeper relationship - it made each of them constantly see the other at their best and, once they'd stop focusing on trying to out-do each other, they'd notice that they both possess traits they're proud of in themselves, and would therefore admire and respect in someone else.

Fluttercord {implied}: I... guess? Shipteasing aside, they still struck me as very close friends with little pushing towards actual romance. Then again, timeskip - plenty of opportunities to flesh out that possibility in the comics.

Yona and Sandbar: Gotta admit, those two are cute together.

----

What do you all think?

• Brohoof 4

Not into any of the implied ships EXCEPT Yona/Sandbar. That’s a good ship.

I just plan to carry on with my preferred ships regardless. I actually encourage others to do the same if they like.

YOU DO YOU BOO! XD

• Brohoof 1

CheesePie: Not a fan of this, honestly. For a pair of such over the top characters, I've always found this ship to be oddly boring. It feels just like...Pinkie and more Pinkie, like it's just layering on more of the same thing and it doesn't really make it better. I feel like any time I've thought about or read about them being in a relationship, it's just not really that interesting to hear. I feel like Pinkie is really a character who needs someone with more to contrast against her. Maybe it's also cause I really like Pinkie, but don't actually like Cheese all that much, that probably doesn't help. Also, this ship had no prior build up and that annoys me.

AppleDash: Yeah...No. on one hand, I'm not happy this was implied. On the other, I'm happy it was ONLY implied and thus can be interpreted differently with a bit of headcanoning. I'm really not a fan of canon shipping of the Mane Six with each other. It's fine for fanfics and stuff, but in canon I've always liked viewing them as a group of six equal best friends and a relationship between them throws that all of and I just don't like it. Plus it kinda feels a bit too stereotypical. Also, again, no build up.

Fluttercord: I kinda prefer them as just really good friends, and it's still pretty easy to view them as being that, so I don't have too many issues here. Plus, hey, even if they are a couple at least this one was actually hinted at prior.

Yonabar: It's cute...That's about all I got.

SugarMac: This ship's better than any of the one involving the Mane Six in the finale. It has actual build-up, multiple episodes dedicated to it, most of which were pretty good to boot. I like it.

LyraBon: Cute background detail for fans, also better than any of the Mane Six ships. Their previous interactions in episodes were so obviously poking at the idea of shipping, it's not really a surprise and did I mention it's cute?

At the end of the day, my ultimate feelings are that all the ships not involving the Mane Six are pretty good, or at least I'm fine with them. I'm not really fond of any of the Mane Six ships though, whether they be blatantly canon or just hinted at and left somewhat ambiguous. Other than some Fluttercord hinting, those relations had no prior romantic development during the series, and honestly I think the last episode is just too late to do this. If you've made it to the last episode of your show without building up romantic relationships among your main cast, don't do them, otherwise it feels forced and awkward. The ships feel arbitrary and like they're just there to get reactions rather than anything else.

Big Jim said on Twitter before they weren't interested in exploring romance with the characters and he certainly wasn't lying, because they didn't explore it. They just...put it there. Which is, to me, the worst way to handle these things. At least they had the restraint to not just go out and canonically ship every single character, not every character needs a relationship and if you really want them in one you just have the freedom to headcanon pair them up with whoever you like. Since they weren't willing to explore these things though, I think that's the route they should have taken with the whole main cast.

Edited by BastementSparkle
  • Brohoof 2

Big Mac and Sugar Belle: This is one of the few arcs they were able to follow through to the end

Lyra and Bon Bon: As the series went on they began to imply something between them more and more, so this one wasn't very surprising

Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich: I'm kinda not surprised, but I agree with everyone saying that two episodes are not enough. I get that Weird Al might be hard to get/expensive, but this one needed them to do a lot more together.

Roseluck and Dr. Whooves {past, implied}: Derpy got btfo'd

Appledash {implied}: The worst part about this is that the last episode they had together was....Non Compete Clause.....Again, even if they wanted to make them an item, they needed a lot more together

Spoiler

To it's credit, judging by the leaks, the writers really wanted them to do more together, both in terms of episodes and screentime. To the point where it was really obvious they shipped them

Spoiler

Also Rarijack got btfo'd

Fluttercord {implied}: Discord has been awful for the last few seasons without any sort of comeuppance and often rewarded for his bullshit. I never thought they could top A Matter of Principals, but then the finale was like "hold my beer". Fluttershy deserves better

Yona and Sandbar: My least favorite of the students, so I really don't care much for them

• Brohoof 1

I'm curious what people's most likable result for Pinkie's canon ship. I agree on her with Cheese isn't the most interesting, but I don't know what people usually expect from her shipping, unlike some common ships like Appledash, Rarijack, Fluttercord etc.

I thought most people shipped Pinkie and Cheese, and mostly had no clear alternatives. 

Who would you ship Pinkie with, considering it's the canon finale episode?

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

Big mac and sugar belle- Not my favorite pairing, but I like it and glad to see what become of it.

Lyra and Bonbon(sweetie drops)- best official couple:P :squee:, it was built in the background through the series and I am so happy that they actually confirmed it(would have liked if they spoke more often but I am very happy with what we got).

Pinkie and cheese- I didn't ship them, but its the best official couple they could come up with, pinkie and cheese have great chemistry. so while I didn't ship them, I have no problem with it.

Roseluck and Dr. hooves(heavily implied)- I preferred him to be with derpy(they showed a great deal of it in episode 100) but I like it nonetheless.

Appledash- while its my favorite main 6 ship, I am not sure if I can take it canonically, it just implied and only in the final episode, it would have been easier to believe it if they at least showed they have some deeper connection during the series. I would have preferred if they confirmed starlight x trixie seens that would have been a little more believable and not as out of nowhere(but it would have crushed a massive other ship on the way, starlight x sunburst)

Fluttershy and discord- while I like this ship, and unlike appledash its more plausible and had a proper build up, however discord is immortal and shy is not, I am not sure its a good idea. I think its better if they were just really good friends instead.

Yona and sandbar- I don't ship it but I don't really care.

Were there any other implied ships?

Edited by Rushing cash
  • Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

I thought most people shipped Pinkie and Cheese, and mostly had no clear alternatives. 

Who would you ship Pinkie with, considering it's the canon finale episode?

Nobody. If you can't be bothered to build the ships up beforehand, then don't do them, they don't have any place in the finale. They had a whole prior episode this season where they could have built up CheesePie if they so wanted and yet they didn't, so what's it doing in the finale? I'm not fond of the ships chosen, but my bigger and I think more real criticism is that I don't think ships should be there at all. Write the finale in a way that you can leave the romantic lives of the characters ambiguous and just let fans do whatever they want from there. If you wanted to do real romance with your main cast, you should be doing some of that before the finale, otherwise it's just going to feel forced in, which is exactly what it was.

• Brohoof 2

13 hours ago, The Grim Reader said:

So, with the finale cementing some ships and implying* others, I figure we should have a thread to properly argue despair vent deny discuss them.

Obviously, spoilers.

Also, correct me if I've missed anyone, which I almost certainly will.

---

So, my thoughts;

Big Mac and Sugar Belle: Well, that was kind of a given - if they weren't an item in the timeskip, that would raise soooo many questions. That said... I was never invested in those two, mainly because we haven't really seen anything between them that wasn't geared around them progressing their relationship rather than, y'know, having one.

Lyra and Bon Bon: That... I actually didn't expect. Which I really should have, I mean, Slice of Life showed us that the staff pay attention to fanon, even if they're forbidden from actually reading fanfiction. It's... nice. The question is... have they retired from SMILE?

Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich: I'm kinda.... not into it? I mean, they do have a lot of in common, mostly because their personalities almost completely overlap. But their relationship has been almost entirely based on their respective professions, so it just came out of nowhere.

Roseluck and Dr. Whooves {past, implied}: Eheeeh.... I get the reference, but it still feels like it should be Derpy.

Appledash {implied}: Yeah, they're totes an item. At first, it seemed completely nonsensical, but then I realized that it's their mutual competitiveness that would probably trigger a deeper relationship - it made each of them constantly see the other at their best and, once they'd stop focusing on trying to out-do each other, they'd notice that they both possess traits they're proud of in themselves, and would therefore admire and respect in someone else.

Fluttercord {implied}: I... guess? Shipteasing aside, they still struck me as very close friends with little pushing towards actual romance. Then again, timeskip - plenty of opportunities to flesh out that possibility in the comics.

Yona and Sandbar: Gotta admit, those two are cute together.

----

What do you all think?

7 hours ago, Rushing cash said:

Big mac and sugar belle- Not my favorite pairing, but I like it and glad to see what become of it.

Lyra and Bonbon(sweetie drops)- best official couple:P :squee:, it was built in the background through the series and I am so happy that they actually confirmed it(would have liked if they spoke more often but I am very happy with what we got).

Pinkie and cheese- I didn't ship them, but its the best official couple they could come up with, pinkie and cheese have great chemistry. so while I didn't ship them, I have no problem with it.

Roseluck and Dr. hooves(heavily implied)- I preferred him to be with derpy(they showed a great deal of it in episode 100) but I like it nonetheless.

Appledash- while its my favorite main 6 ship, I am not sure if I can take it canonically, it just implied and only in the final episode, it would have been easier to believe it if they at least showed they have some deeper connection during the series. I would have preferred if they confirmed starlight x trixie seens that would have been a little more believable and not as out of nowhere(but it would have crushed a massive other ship on the way, starlight x sunburst)

Fluttershy and discord- while I like this ship, and unlike appledash its more plausible and had a proper build up, however discord is immortal and shy is not, I am not sure its a good idea. I think its better if they were just really good friends instead.

Yona and sandbar- I don't ship it but I don't really care.

Were there any other implied ships?

And of course Spabby gets ignored again. Literally EVERY ship except that one. It's JUST AS implied as every other implied ship.

Edited by FlareGun45

Just now, FlareGun45 said:

And of course Spabby gets ignored again. Literally EVERY ship except that one. It's JUST AS implied as every other implied ship.

I guess maybe? I mean, I don't think we see them together in the finale.

Just now, The Grim Reader said:

I guess maybe? I mean, I don't think we see them together in the finale.

Alota characters didn't appear in the future. Gabby could be Griffin Ambassador, taking over the peace between the cat people and Diamond Dogs while Spike goes to see Twilight! At least that's what I think.

6 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

Gabby wasn't seen in the finale with spike, so it doesn't really count, in DD it wasn't really implied that they are together, at least I didn't feel any shipping vibes there.

Edited by Rushing cash

Just now, Rushing cash said:

Gabby wasn't seen in the finale with spike, so it doesn't really count, in DD it wasn't really implied that they are together, at least I didn't feel any shipping vibes there.

It kinda was implied. Spike moving on from the crush on Rarity to always giving Gabby attention? How sad Spike was when Gabby didn't wanna hang with him anymore (Twilight even said she never seen Spike that sad before)? And the blushing at the end of the episode? Not saying it's a 100% ship, but it's definitely implied!

I take back what I said about "literately every ship", Starburst wasn't mentioned on this post either. But they were just talking to eachother.

56 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

It kinda was implied. Spike moving on from the crush on Rarity to always giving Gabby attention? How sad Spike was when Gabby didn't wanna hang with him anymore (Twilight even said she never seen Spike that sad before)? And the blushing at the end of the episode? Not saying it's a 100% ship, but it's definitely implied!

I take back what I said about "literately every ship", Starburst wasn't mentioned on this post either. But they were just talking to eachother.

You can really take it anyway you like it, I mean maybe there are some subtle implications, but there are still some fans that think that sparity is not dead either, so its really open to many interpretations, its so vague that the fans can take it anyway they like. Compared to it, sunburst\trixie x starlight are ,much more implied, although non were confirmed in the series.  

You can really take it anyway you like it, I mean maybe there are some subtle implications, but there are still some fans that think that sparity is not dead either, so its really open to many interpretations, its so vague that the fans can take it anyway they like. Compared to it, sunburst\trixie x starlight are ,much more implied, although non were confirmed in the series.  

I didn't say Sparity was dead. Did I say that? No, I'm saying that Spike gets ALL the babes! :3 

7 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

I didn't say Sparity was dead. Did I say that? No, I'm saying that Spike gets ALL the babes! :3 

Well, obviously :yeahno:, spike deserves nothing short of it:mlp_smug:

As for myself, I rally don't ship spike with anyone, the closest thing that come to that is spike and smolder, I remember that a lot shipped spike and ember too.

Well, obviously :yeahno:, spike deserves nothing short of it:mlp_smug:

As for myself, I rally don't ship spike with anyone, the closest thing that come to that is spike and smolder, I remember that a lot shipped spike and ember too.

You don't ship him with anyone cause he's a swingin' bachelor, gettin' some on a nightly bases? I feel ya, dude! ;) With that bod and his position, I wouldn't be surprised!

3 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

You don't ship him with anyone cause he's a swingin' bachelor, gettin' some on a nightly bases? I feel ya, dude! ;) With that bod and his position, I wouldn't be surprised!

B)I am sure he is living the dream

Big Mac/Sugar Belle - They're cute together. Not much else to say about that; it was effectively built up by the show over the course of the last three seasons. 

Lyra/Bon Bon - I like this mostly for what it represents - an onscreen same-sex marriage. These two were appealing characters in the 100th episode, and I appreciate that the animators finally paid homage to the dominant fan interpretation, but I'm mostly invested because I browsed a bunch of cute fan art of them, and because it's more explicit LGBT representation than Scootaloo's aunts. 

Pinkie Pie/Cheese Sandwich - I briefly got into this at the height of my shipping phase but it wasn't built up that well, even though Cheese allegedly helped Pinkie "discover her purpose." I also feel weird about celebrity guests being in relationships with the main characters but I'm not sure that's very justified; they're cute together regardless. 

Applejack/Rainbow Dash -  The show didn't really build up any sort of inter-mane six romance, so this really came out of nowhere, especially after their friendship was so poorly-written in the past few seasons. But back in my shipping phase this was my favourite, so I kinda have a soft spot for this. It feels like I miraculously won a game that I stopped playing years ago, and I would be interested if the comics did a romantic subplot about them. 

Fluttershy/Discord - Discord is less of a jerk than he used to be but he's still a jerk. Dunno why anyone tolerates him. Fluttershy deserves better. 

Yona/Sandbar - They're still together? That's adorable. 

Maud Pie/Mudbriar - This couple is underrated and I'm happy to see they're still together. I bet they got married. 

• Brohoof 3

I don't like AppleDash. It feels stereotypical. Why make the 2 tomboys of the Mane 6 (with one having rainbow hair) lesbians? At least with LyraBon and Scoots' aunts it feels more natural.

AppleDash didn't even have a built-up.

On 10/20/2019 at 9:16 AM, The Grim Reader said:

This is the best description I've read since I saw the finale about how Applejack and Rainbow Dash could have grown closer. I never thought about it in this way.

===

Lyra/Bonbon: Great couple, I was really happy to see them together in the end.  

Big Mac/Sugar Belle: I like them and they're adorable together. Good build-up in the later episodes.

Pinkie Pie/Cheese Sandwich: I was cheering when "Little Cheese" came on screen. Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich really fit together IMHO. They both love to make others laugh and because of that they can understand each other in ways others can't.

Appledash: I can see them together. I have a soft spot for them as a couple, but at the same time I would also like it if they were just friends who have grown closer over the years.

Fluttercord: I still can't help but laugh about the "I want to marry Discord" part in She talks to Angel. I like them together but I'm not sure if I like to see them as a couple. 

Yona/Sandbar: Love them. They are adorable together.

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 1

My golden rule has been if the Characters are happy together, I wouldn't meddle in their love life. If I was thinking about joining them for some romance, I would ask first.

In short, they're all cute together

• Brohoof 1

I don't care about the other ships. Just the fact that AppleDash was implied to be canon (which basically means it IS canon COME ON people!) I am so happy. 

Spoiler

medium.jpeg

There is one thing that legitimately bugs me about them, however - every one of them is between characters we already know. There's a significant timeskip, so why couldn't have anyone have developed a relationship with someone they met at any point after the events of the show?

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, The Grim Reader said:

There is one thing that legitimately bugs me about them, however - every one of them is between characters we already know. There's a significant timeskip, so why couldn't have anyone have developed a relationship with someone they met at any point after the events of the show?

That is a good point actually....

4 hours ago, The Grim Reader said:

Okay, I'm definitely glad they didn't do this. Confirming ships between characters we already know with little to no previous build-up feels kind of annoying as is, doing it with characters we've literally never even met before? That's even worse. If you can't think of a good relationship for them involving existing characters, maybe they just don't need a canon relationship.