Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

In-Universe Explanation on why Spikeabuse stopped?

FlareGun45

So by the season 6 rolled around, Spikeabuse became VERY limited to only like once every two seasons to just vanishing in mid-air within others. I woulda thought there would be an episode talking about that, but perhaps maybe there was a time when Spike had a talk with them, just not shown on camera? Or maybe someone stood up for him? I know the Mane 6 mistreating Spike is very unintentional (unless you're Rarity), but it was still there, and the Mane 6 and other BG ponies just to let it blow over their heads cause they didn't see him or something.

It just came to me that Spikeabuse just disappeared ever since Starlight came around! Y'think maybe she noticed what was happening and decided to stand up for him? If ya think about it: she's one of Spike's few friends that NEVER mistreated him - others include Big Mac, Thorax, Ember, and Gabby! I could tell it's part of her character cause even though she quit the ways of equality, a little bit of that stills lays within her personality! ;) 

I still wish we had an episode talking about this - Spike telling the ponies off! At least most of us really wanted to see that happen!

12 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

So by the season 6 rolled around, Spikeabuse became VERY limited to only like once every two seasons to just vanishing in mid-air within others. I woulda thought there would be an episode talking about that, but perhaps maybe there was a time when Spike had a talk with them, just not shown on camera? Or maybe someone stood up for him? I know the Mane 6 mistreating Spike is very unintentional (unless you're Rarity), but it was still there, and the Mane 6 and other BG ponies just to let it blow over their heads cause they didn't see him or something.

It just came to me that Spikeabuse just disappeared ever since Starlight came around! Y'think maybe she noticed what was happening and decided to stand up for him? If ya think about it: she's one of Spike's few friends that NEVER mistreated him - others include Big Mac, Thorax, Ember, and Gabby! I could tell it's part of her character cause even though she quit the ways of equality, a little bit of that stills lays within her personality! ;) 

I still wish we had an episode talking about this - Spike telling the ponies off! At least most of us really wanted to see that happen!

Was Spike being abused by the Manes (rather than the plot) really much of a thing? I know Twilight and Rarity could take him for granted sometimes, but besides that...

Just now, Latecomer said:

Was Spike being abused by the Manes (rather than the plot) really much of a thing? I know Twilight and Rarity could take him for granted sometimes, but besides that...

It's mostly noticeable in season 4, and on the top of my head, I remember Newbie Dash, when Spike found her.... thingy.... then she picked him up and put him in the suitcase and closed it over his head - then when Spike tried to go out, Pinkie smashed the suitcase top over his head again, and nopony seemed to notice. The devs musta thought the slapstick humor was funny. Maybe if it was happening to EVERYONE then yeah maybe, but it was just targeted towards Spike, and he didn't deserve it - he did it for being helpful. 

Luckily this hasn't been a problem for a loooooooong time! But it WAS a thing, yes!

1 minute ago, FlareGun45 said:

It's mostly noticeable in season 4, and on the top of my head, I remember Newbie Dash, when Spike found her.... thingy.... then she picked him up and put him in the suitcase and closed it over his head - then when Spike tried to go out, Pinkie smashed the suitcase top over his head again, and nopony seemed to notice. The devs musta thought the slapstick humor was funny. Maybe if it was happening to EVERYONE then yeah maybe, but it was just targeted towards Spike, and he didn't deserve it - he did it for being helpful. 

Luckily this hasn't been a problem for a loooooooong time! But it WAS a thing, yes!

Well Newbie Dash was Season 6, wasn't it? And if it's that kind of thing, it was probably due to circulation of animators. I doubt anyone - even Spike - saw it as an in-universe problem.

3 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

Well Newbie Dash was Season 6, wasn't it? And if it's that kind of thing, it was probably due to circulation of animators. I doubt anyone - even Spike - saw it as an in-universe problem.

In a TV show about friendship where things are more serious than shows like SpongeBob or Looney Tunes? I highly doubt that.

Here, lemme find someone to push around and stomp on - oh, but that's not happening in-universe! I'll use that excuse with the jury! :P 

In a TV show about friendship where things are more serious than shows like SpongeBob or Looney Tunes? I highly doubt that.

Here, lemme find someone to push around and stomp on - oh, but that's not happening in-universe! I'll use that excuse with the jury! :P 

Well that's just it - I don't think the Manes ever did push Spike around on purpose. By accident, perhaps, and you have a good point that that sets bad examples. But he wasn't bullied.

Well that's just it - I don't think the Manes ever did push Spike around on purpose. By accident, perhaps, and you have a good point that that sets bad examples. But he wasn't bullied.

"I know the Mane 6 mistreating Spike is very unintentional (unless you're Rarity), but it was still there, and the Mane 6 and other BG ponies just to let it blow over their heads cause they didn't see him or something."

I already mentioned that, brah! :P Still, it would make his friendship with Starlight ever more valuable! They were pretty close friends! Even though they didn't spend THAT MUCH time together on-screen, you can tell by the way they support eachother! So I thought turning a harsh gag into an in-universe explanation would help us sympathize with the characters more, and see the bond between two friends that we don't see very often! 

"I know the Mane 6 mistreating Spike is very unintentional (unless you're Rarity), but it was still there, and the Mane 6 and other BG ponies just to let it blow over their heads cause they didn't see him or something."

I already mentioned that, brah! :P Still, it would make his friendship with Starlight ever more valuable! They were pretty close friends! Even though they didn't spend THAT MUCH time together on-screen, you can tell by the way they support eachother! So I thought turning a harsh gag into an in-universe explanation would help us sympathize with the characters more, and see the bond between two friends that we don't see very often! 

Hmm... I'm not sure Starlight would be in quite the position to speak up for him like that. Her relationships with the non-Twilight Manes were quite tentative that season.

Hmm... I'm not sure Starlight would be in quite the position to speak up for him like that. Her relationships with the non-Twilight Manes were quite tentative that season.

So maybe she told him about it, and he told the others? I mean where's that "Spike tells the ponies off" story we've been craving? We can say it happened off-screen, if it helps. If it hasn't happened yet, then it still could in a future comic! You can say he's "too nice" to do that, but his mind can easily change. We all saw how Spike viewed the world differently after meeting that fat slimeball who pretended to be his dad! It could very well happen again - maybe not someone who pretends to be his dad, but someone else he looks up to, like the one who found his egg, perhaps? 

These are all just "what if" scenarios though. Anything could happen!

So maybe she told him about it, and he told the others? I mean where's that "Spike tells the ponies off" story we've been craving? We can say it happened off-screen, if it helps. If it hasn't happened yet, then it still could in a future comic! You can say he's "too nice" to do that, but his mind can easily change. We all saw how Spike viewed the world differently after meeting that fat slimeball who pretended to be his dad! It could very well happen again - maybe not someone who pretends to be his dad, but someone else he looks up to, like the one who found his egg, perhaps? 

These are all just "what if" scenarios though. Anything could happen!

Could be. I don't know if Spike ever actually felt treated unfairly, though. But perhaps explaining his life with ponies to Ember in letters made him reexamine some things.

Could be. I don't know if Spike ever actually felt treated unfairly, though. But perhaps explaining his life with ponies to Ember in letters made him reexamine some things.

That's the problem, isn't it? He coulda lived his whole life full of neglect and abuse and not even realize it's bad - people are like that if they're desperate enough, and y'see how dependent he is for Twilight, which is just sad that there was never really a resolution for that! Which is why I'm being really hopeful for the comics. It's another chance!

13 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

That's the problem, isn't it? He coulda lived his whole life full of neglect and abuse and not even realize it's bad - people are like that if they're desperate enough, and y'see how dependent he is for Twilight, which is just sad that there was never really a resolution for that! Which is why I'm being really hopeful for the comics. It's another chance!

The comics are moving on to post-show now though, so if Spikeabuse did indeed stop a few seasons back it would be a little late to bring it up.

The writers finally understood how to write him properly?:P

As for the in-universe, its probably he became older and smarter so the situations he can be abused lessened and other characters also matured and started to respect him more.

• Brohoof 3

The show has a side storyline of Spike growing up and learning how to be a man if you pay attention. It makes sense that the more he learns how to stand up for himself, the more difficult it is for him to be "abused". 

• Brohoof 2