Azureth

How will Discord handle it when Fluttershy dies?

Recommended Posts

Clearly he seems to be an immortal being that will obviously outlive Fluttershy, so could you see him going crazy over it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

I really think this just depends on how good his support group is. A lot of his other friends are probably going to be dying around the same time-frame, so he'll be stuck mostly just with any other immortals or long-lived creatures to keep him company. Celestia and Luna, Spike, possibly Twilight and Cadance. One thing to keep in mind is that, considering Discord has never even had friends before Fluttershy, this is going to likely be his first time dealing with real major loss and Discord's already rather immature and not prone to handling emotions well. If his relationship with the others is still solid and he has enough support, I could see him maybe pulling through with minimal damage. If not...things might get very bad, very quick.

  • Brohoof 2
  • teacup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of things to note - first, Fluttershy both knows this is going to happen and has (or at least will have) a great deal of experience in outliving her smaller friends. SO she'll doe her best to prepare him.

Second and more worryingly, old age isn't the only way to die. If he loses her suddenly, that's a whole different game.

And lastly - if this matters to him so much, then I bet a being of his power could probably help make great strides in healthcare and life extension if he put his mind to it.

And now I just got the idea of

Spoiler

the two of them fusing - him literally taking her into his immortal body - which could be gourgesly romantic or horrifyingly creepy depending on how you play it.

 

  • Brohoof 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

Poorly. Even in a situation where you AREN’T shipping them, he’d take it poorly. However, @BastementSparkle is correct. As long as he learns to branch out and make more friends and create more lines of support, he’ll be able to get through it.

In fact, since I’ve always seen Fluttershy as this mother/older sister figure for him (at least in emotional age), that would be an interesting thing to explore in fan works. Because unlike the show, fan works can actually talk about death.

And I can ABSOLUTELY see Fluttershy consistently encouraging Discord to expand and deepen his circle of friends, because he is emotionally dependent on her to a level that is unhealthy, and she knows that when she eventually DOES pass on, he is going to NEED someone else if he’s not going to crack like glass vase.

Because my mom is the same way. I am unfortunately a very isolated person irl, though not intentionally. My best friend lives on the other side of the country, and I’m not super tight with a lot of my family since they are so spread out. My mom DEFINITELY worries that when her time comes, that it is going to wreck me because I pour all of my emotions into my relationship with her, because she’s the only one around. And she’s right. I need to make more friends and build more relationships. Because one day, I’m gonna need it.

Edited by ShadOBabe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Latecomer said:

which could be gourgesly romantic

Like fusion in Steven Universe. Together they'd be much more powerful and compassionate then either on their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oof... i think he's not going to take it well even with support. He'll go mad, angry, depressed. in what measure? that depends on how well Fluttershy and his friends prepare him for that moment, but even still he WILL feel it and will have to take some time to fully accept it and move on. He's no idiot so he will know beforehand that she's coming close to the day that she will die but he will probably try his hardest to convince himself that is not going to happen or try to fool himself into thinking he can make something up to make fluttershy stay with him. In the end he will just have to realize that she will go and he will continue as long as equestria itself. Fortunately he at least has spike and to an extent twilight to have some support, maybe the other princesses if they are there somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'd be a really sad fanart scene, something I'd hope would never actually happen. Discord, Twilight, and Spike, at Fluttershy's grave. They'd be all that's left. He'd have to keep himself sane or he'd end up back in stone again. But then, maybe that'd be exactly what he wants at that point. He'd try to pull a Rockhoof move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)
6 hours ago, Azureth said:

Clearly he seems to be an immortal being that will obviously outlive Fluttershy, so could you see him going crazy over it?

 

5 hours ago, Latecomer said:

Couple of things to note - first, Fluttershy both knows this is going to happen and has (or at least will have) a great deal of experience in outliving her smaller friends. SO she'll doe her best to prepare him.

Second and more worryingly, old age isn't the only way to die. If he loses her suddenly, that's a whole different game.

And lastly - if this matters to him so much, then I bet a being of his power could probably help make great strides in healthcare and life extension if he put his mind to it.

And now I just got the idea of

  Hide contents

the two of them fusing - him literally taking her into his immortal body - which could be gourgesly romantic or horrifyingly creepy depending on how you play it.

 

it cannot defy the death of a living being, being immortal is being empty that discourages life and death. Discord is not a god to help a being make him immortal, he is an immortal being who can live forever and his friend Fluttershy as her friends are born, live and age and die. they know what life means and what death cannot be challenged. To be immortal is to cheat and have a curse.

Edited by Van123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Van123 said:

 

it cannot challenge the life and death of a living being, being immortal is being empty. Discord is an immortal being who can live forever and his friend Fluttershy as his friends are born, live and grow old and die. They know what it means and what death cannot be challenged.

Who says? Discord isn't really the rule-following type. And he doesn't like not getting what he wants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

Who says? Discord isn't really the rule-following type. And he doesn't like not getting what he wants.

All that he does discourages the life of all living beings. He is not a discoverer nor a god for a creature or pony asking him to share immortality. Logan got fed up with being immortal and so he found a way to die, killing himself by his own clone

Edited by Van123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Van123 said:

To be immortal is to cheat and have a curse.

Ehhh... I’d agree if we are talking about naturally mortal creatures. If your are a mortal you are literally not built to withstand the experience of immortality. It would eventually drive you insane.

But in fiction naturally immortal races are a thing. Discord is an ageless spirit and was never built to be otherwise. He’s physiologically built for all the things that implies, as are Celestia and Luna (though I know some people believe they are not natural born alicorns).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)
4 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Ehhh... I’d agree if we are talking about naturally mortal creatures. If your are a mortal you are literally not built to withstand the experience of immortality. It would eventually drive you insane.

But in fiction naturally immortal races are a thing. Discord is an ageless spirit and was never built to be otherwise. He’s physiologically built for all the things that implies, as are Celestia and Luna (though I know some people believe they are not natural born alicorns).

but the creators decide to create their characters get aged, as well as logan, batman, spiderman etc; etc;

Edited by Van123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Van123 said:

but the creators decide to create their characters get aged, as well as logan, batman, spiderman etc; etc;

Okay. So mortal characters age. We all know that. I’m talking about immortal characters and if immortality is a bad thing if you’re SUPPOSED to be that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

It will be hard for him, but at this stage I think that Discord will have matured more and instead wants to keep Fluttershy's memory and kindness alive, and will go on to make new friends and be happy, just like Fluttershy would have wanted for him.

For support he will definitely have Twilight and Spike (who will likely outlive the rest of the Mane 6) 

Edited by JH24

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

(edited)
6 hours ago, Van123 said:

 Logan got fed up with being immortal and so he found a way to die, killing himself by his own clone

I don't get most of your post in general, but I really don't get the relevance of this part.

6 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

Ehhh... I’d agree if we are talking about naturally mortal creatures. If your are a mortal you are literally not built to withstand the experience of immortality. It would eventually drive you insane.

Sore wa dou ka na?

(Or for English speakers, I wonder....)

 

Edited by Latecomer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JH24 said:

It will be hard for him, but at this stage I think that Discord will have matured more and instead wants to keep Fluttershy's memory and kindness alive, and will go on to make new friends and be happy, just like Fluttershy would have wanted for him.

I wonder if Discord can talk to animals? Seems logical that he could. Or if he couldn't he'd just enable them to talk normal. I wonder if he's been learning everything she knows about animals. Maybe he'd take over the sanctuary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)
5 hours ago, BornAgainBrony said:

I wonder if Discord can talk to animals? Seems logical that he could. Or if he couldn't he'd just enable them to talk normal. I wonder if he's been learning everything she knows about animals. Maybe he'd take over the sanctuary.

That's a very good possibility. Taking over the animal sanctuary would also be a way to both keep Fluttershy's memory and legacy alive. I like your idea of Discord using a little magic to understand the animals, or Fluttershy might have taught him in those years they were together.

Edited by JH24

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

I don't think she will die, or if she does, it doesn't actually make a difference. Discord can apparently bring back the dead, as he did with Sombra. My headcanon though is that once she's old enough he will just transform her into a draconequus. Then they can live together for ever. They will also have draconequus children, which will eventually lead to the demise of Equestria because they are also immortal, putting strain on the resources and eventually driving ponies to extinction through starvation. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

I don't think she will die, or if she does, it doesn't actually make a difference. Discord can apparently bring back the dead, as he did with Sombra. My headcanon though is that once she's old enough he will just transform her into a draconequus. Then they can live together for ever. They will also have draconequus children, which will eventually lead to the demise of Equestria because they are also immortal, putting strain on the resources and eventually driving ponies to extinction through starvation. :P

I think Sombra was a special case - living shadow and all.

Now turning a pony into a creature like him - maybe. But I like the idea I had earlier - of them literally becoming one - more interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Latecomer said:

I think Sombra was a special case - living shadow and all.

Now turning a pony into a creature like him - maybe. But I like the idea I had earlier - of them literally becoming one - more interesting.

I find that terrifying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ganondox said:

I find that terrifying. 

Well yes. Especially if they keep adding others - first Fluttershy's little friends, then ponies and the like.

Q is the herald of the Borg, after all. But a union founded on chaos and harmony rather than order....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

Well yes. Especially if they keep adding others - first Fluttershy's little friends, then ponies and the like.

Q is the herald of the Borg, after all. But a union founded on chaos and harmony rather than order....

That reminds, my uncle's headcanon is that Discord is literally Q, just popping into Equestria. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Ganondox said:

That reminds, my uncle's headcanon is that Discord is literally Q, just popping into Equestria. 

There are certainly fics written on that premise - but i think Q is a bit more omnipotent and omniscient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Latecomer said:

There are certainly fics written on that premise - but i think Q is a bit more omnipotent and omniscient.

Maybe he lost some of that when traveling into Equestria - or maybe, Discord IS omnipotent and omniscient, but he's just been playing the long game to convince us otherwise! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

Maybe he lost some of that when traveling into Equestria - or maybe, Discord IS omnipotent and omniscient, but he's just been playing the long game to convince us otherwise! 

Well you might want to check out some of alarajrogers's stories on FIMFiction - a long-time Q writer who stated on Q-as-Discord stuff and then progressed into full-on Discord writing. Be warned, her stuff can get dark though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.