Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What and where is Silver Shoals?

Sepul-Coloratura

Luna and Celestia mentions that they will be at Silver Shoals after they retire. What is this place and why not any other normal places? Is this place isolated? Is this the place that Luna slept inside of a dream at the ending of Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep? (if so, could it be a place only in the dream realm and Celestia and Luna will have a long sleep like Emerald Dream in Warcraft?) What do you think of this place?

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

It also goes by Seaward Shoals at one point.

Seaward Shoals,[11] also called Silver Shoals by show staff[12] and in The Beginning of the End - Part 1, is a coastal town featured in P.P.O.V. (Pony Point of View), from which Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity embark on their cruise. It also briefly appears in Friendship University. Its various buildings are perched on stilts raised above the hilly coastline. Although not explicitly stated to be of Seaward Shoals, the flag flying from their vessel's mast is similar to the real-life flag of British Columbia, the province where My Little Pony's DHX Media Vancouver animation studio is located.

latest?cb=20161002194611

Edited by PoisonClaw

According to Big Jim on Twitter, Silver Shoals is apparently a retirement community near Silver Shores. https://twitter.com/TheBiggestJim/status/1183449825565495296

I don't really take twitter statements as confirmed canon, but can I just say the idea of Celestia and Luna just going to an  retirement community is kind...really kind of dumb? Like, they might be over a thousand years old but both of them still seem to be perfectly in their physical prime, there's thousands of things they could do, go anywhere and do anything and they just...go to a retirement community. :sealed:

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, BastementSparkle said:

According to Big Jim on Twitter, Silver Shoals is apparently a retirement community near Silver Shores. https://twitter.com/TheBiggestJim/status/1183449825565495296

I don't really take twitter statements as confirmed canon, but can I just say the idea of Celestia and Luna just going to an  retirement community is kind...really kind of dumb? Like, they might be over a thousand years old but both of them still seem to be perfectly in their physical prime, there's thousands of things they could do, go anywhere and do anything and they just...go to a retirement community. :sealed:

I think it's meant to be something of a joke - they're reitring, so where else would they go? Is Vancouver known for it's large retiree population?

Note that in the premiere Luna says this:

Spike: Princesses can retire?
Princess Luna: [chuckles] Of course we can. I for one am looking forward to a little R&R. Maybe a trip to Silver Shoals.

So It doesn't necessarily mean they'll be staying there permenantly. (Then again, that episodes also implied they were handing over Equestria to all the Manes, not just Twilight so plans may have changed.)

Just now, Latecomer said:

I think it's meant to be something of a joke - they're reitring, so where else would they go? Is Vancouver known for it's large retiree population?

Note that in the premiere Luna says this:

Spike: Princesses can retire?
Princess Luna: [chuckles] Of course we can. I for one am looking forward to a little R&R. Maybe a trip to Silver Shoals.

So It doesn't necessarily mean they'll be staying there permenantly. (Then again, that episodes also implied they were handing over Equestria to all the Manes, not just Twilight so plans may have changed.)

In the finale though, Luna says to Twilight "I hope you'll visit us in Silver Shoals" which does seem to imply they'll be staying there for a while at least. I can't really imagine them staying for long, but it just feels like a weird idea to put in at all.

23 minutes ago, BastementSparkle said:

In the finale though, Luna says to Twilight "I hope you'll visit us in Silver Shoals" which does seem to imply they'll be staying there for a while at least. I can't really imagine them staying for long, but it just feels like a weird idea to put in at all.

Yeah, honestly its kind of weird that Celestia and Luna would live in a retirement home.
Especially with how iirc its shown that Luna and Celestia found out its exciting/thrilling to do stuff rather than what they were doing while on the throne.
I figured they would be traveling around Equestria and having fun than staying in a retirement home for long-ish periods of time.
I guess I prefer they stay on the move.

Edited by nightshroud96
  • Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, nightshroud96 said:

Yeah, honestly its kind of weird that Celestia and Luna would live in a retirement home.
Especially with how its shown that Luna and Celestia found out its exciting/thrilling to do stuff rather than what they were doing know while on the throne.
I figured they would be traveling around Equestria and having fun than staying in a retirement home for long-ish periods of time.

It's even kind of depressing when you think about it. The Princess could still be immortal or have a rather long life-span ahead of them, and they go to a retirement community that's probably going to be full of old ponies who from their perspective are going to be dying very quickly? They're probably used to others dying around them but there's no need to speed that process up. Even if you headcanon they've been made mortal or given normal life-spans through some means, still feels odd for them to go there while in their prime.

It's supposedly a retirement community though given how they are both alicorns, I'm surprised that they would want to go there in the first place. They've shown to want to do things beyond the castle as a means of living life, but going to a retirement community sounds like the complete opposite. Then again, Celestia and Luna are aloof in their way of thinking so what they say might not necessarily be what they end up doing. Also, they are still young in terms of appearance so living at Silver Shoals might be a little awkward. It might not since they are no longer ruling Equestria and have handed things over to their successor. Methinks more time was needed to address this idea.

4 hours ago, PoisonClaw said:

It also goes by Seaward Shoals at one point.

latest?cb=20161002194611

This is correct and it is apparently near the retirement town according to Jim Miller. 

4 hours ago, Latecomer said:

Not Vancouver, but Victoria (the actual capitol of BC) that is on Vancouver Island is. I lived there for a while, and at the time the general population was very skewed age-wise.

1 minute ago, Fhaolan said:

Not Vancouver, but Victoria (the actual capitol of BC) that is on Vancouver Island is. I lived there for a while, and at the time the general population was very skewed age-wise.

And tourism/cruises too, right? I think Seaward Shoals may be something of a reference.

13 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

And tourism/cruises too, right? I think Seaward Shoals may be something of a reference.

Yup, lots of tourism and cruises and the like. The way Seaward Shoals is drawn, with all those stilt houses, doesn't look like Victoria though. There are places in BC where there are a lot of stilt houses, but I don't remember them being that prevalent in Victoria.

I’m surprised at all the people commenting here. You do know that going to a retirement community doesn’t mean you’re just trapped there, languishing?

That’s just were they’re living, and very possibly, not for too long. Though of course, when you’re immortal, your definition of “not too long” is very relative. And they’ll likely go one all kinds of trips. Silver Shoals is just home.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Fhaolan said:

Yup, lots of tourism and cruises and the like. The way Seaward Shoals is drawn, with all those stilt houses, doesn't look like Victoria though. There are places in BC where there are a lot of stilt houses, but I don't remember them being that prevalent in Victoria.

Maybe some kind of distillation?

I don't know about anyone else but when I heard Silver Shoals it immediately reminded me of this

748b5aa5c2b3bf4372868f79e8eef3e3.jpg

the White Shores from the Lord Of the Rings. Where Gandalf and some others says good bye to everyone and set their way towards the immortal lands. It's kinda iconic.

Giving the LOTR references in MLP I wouldn't be surprised if it was referring this. I feel is a bit more fitting for the situation than a retirement home.

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Ittoni said:

I don't know about anyone else but when I heard Silver Shoals it immediately reminded me of this

748b5aa5c2b3bf4372868f79e8eef3e3.jpg

the White Shores from the Lord Of the Rings.

Yeah I caught that, and it seemed to make sense to me too.

Other thoughts on this. There's a place in California called Silver Shoals. Seems like a good retirement place. https://www.californiabeaches.com/beach/silver-shoals-park/

The appearance doesn't match up though. If Silver Shoals is near the town pictured that is "Seaway Shores" it looks like a classic Northeastern US coastal town. The Mane 6 are going to be there sooner than they think, as soon as some Stephen King monster shows up.

On 10/23/2019 at 3:11 PM, nightshroud96 said:

Especially with how iirc its shown that Luna and Celestia found out its exciting/thrilling to do stuff rather than what they were doing while on the throne.

I don't think they're fully retiring, just want a life outside of Canderlot, I think they'll still be rulers, just in a different way. Sorta like, a Equestria Council.

I mean, they still have their Day and Night magic, they can't let all that magic go to waste.

Edited by Brainstorm

• 2 weeks later...