Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv What are some unpopular opinions you have related to film?

AveryGamerDude

The 2010 Jonah Hex film is actually fairly good, and the critics are describing a totally different film. Or at least they must be, because it's literally nothing like most reviewers say it is. Seriously, I don't know what film they're describing. A Michael Bay movie? This film certainly isn't that.

Edited by Spider Demon

20 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Agreed on both. Black Panther got a lot of hype for being 'woke'. But it was basically a re-hash of the Lion King, only with a less meaningful introspective journey and character growth. I thought it put too much focus on Prince T'challa and not on the Black Panther character. It'd be like watching Superman and it was more Clark Kent: The Movie. I also didn't like the plot twist of Kill Monger becoming the main baddie and Ulysses Claw being wasted. Splitting the focus like that hurt both characters. The movie should've been T'challa going after Claw, saving his fall from grace and Killmonger's rise for a sequel.

It doesn't really help coming off of Civil War, which made T'Challa look legitimately awesome, only for his first solo outing to be kinda dull. I will give it this, that Killmonger was a legitimately great villain which is something the MCU kinda lacks in

Pulp Fiction is an utter mess of a film. Good memorable quotes here and there, but piecing together the plot is way more convoluted and hard to understand than it had any right to be. Not to mention there were a few scenes that were just cringy as f***. Inglorious Basterds to this day remains the best Tarantino film IMHO, at least of the ones I've seen and Pulp Fiction is easily his worst, being probably the only film of his that I think isn't good.

Edited by Spider Demon

Here is some data to support my claim about horror movies. I wrote a blog about this already, but here are the charts. I took scores from Rotten Tomatoes. These scores might have changed since I last got the data. These charts show scores from Friday the 13th, Halloween, and Nightmare On Elm Street movies. I also compare them to Star Trek.

I set a limit of 50% and counted how many movies in each series scored above 50%. I chose this number because it wasn't too high or too low. I figured it is a reasonable standard to reach. Here is a summary: Number above or equal to 50% / Number of movies

Friday The 13th

2/12 = 16.7%

Spoiler

228211158_Friday13th.thumb.png.b25e4d8a7bf9b5babfbb835769c56d7b.png

Halloween

3/11 = 27.3%

Spoiler

Halloween.thumb.png.024adb6642b386a49d2cab1a9aee90f5.png

Nightmare On Elm Street

4/9 = 44.4%

Spoiler

Nightmare.thumb.png.30e6f3c5f9432e166989c9ae6963bfdc.png

Star Trek

9/13 = 69.2%

Spoiler

781430089_StarTrek.thumb.png.54e77d6591bd942c81ce4bee646fa925.png

This shows that the leading horror franchises don't score well, which supports the claim that horror movies are not good.

1 hour ago, Spooky Brony 42 said:

Here is some data to support my claim about horror movies. I wrote a blog about this already, but here are the charts. I took scores from Rotten Tomatoes. These scores might have changed since I last got the data. These charts show scores from Friday the 13th, Halloween, and Nightmare On Elm Street movies. I also compare them to Star Trek.

I set a limit of 50% and counted how many movies in each series scored above 50%. I chose this number because it wasn't too high or too low. I figured it is a reasonable standard to reach. Here is a summary: Number above or equal to 50% / Number of movies

Friday The 13th

2/12 = 16.7%

Hide contents

228211158_Friday13th.thumb.png.b25e4d8a7bf9b5babfbb835769c56d7b.png

Halloween

3/11 = 27.3%

Hide contents

Halloween.thumb.png.024adb6642b386a49d2cab1a9aee90f5.png

Nightmare On Elm Street

4/9 = 44.4%

Hide contents

Nightmare.thumb.png.30e6f3c5f9432e166989c9ae6963bfdc.png

Star Trek

9/13 = 69.2%

Hide contents

781430089_StarTrek.thumb.png.54e77d6591bd942c81ce4bee646fa925.png

This shows that the leading horror franchises don't score well, which supports the claim that horror movies are not good.

But that's just their opinion.

• Brohoof 2

On 10/26/2019 at 8:41 PM, Spooky Brony 42 said:

Horror movies are the lowest form of film making, appealing to simple minds. There, I said it.

This sounds less like an opinion and more like an insult. 
So

• Brohoof 1

On 10/26/2019 at 7:41 PM, Spooky Brony 42 said:

Horror movies are the lowest form of film making, appealing to simple minds. There, I said it.

I think it is probably the among the worse genres of film, and I actually agree that some horror films really lack any cerebral elements to them. However, there are a decent number of great examples of horror films that simple minds absolutely could not enjoy that are absolutely masterful works. Like Kubrick's film rendition of The Shining. They'd say it's just boring and nothing happens in it. There are good horror films that they could easily enjoy along with people who actually go into films expecting something remotely cerebral though.

As for the horror film ratings as "proof": A. That's solely based on critic's scores and B. You look at the first entry of every one of those series, and the ratings are consistently very high across the board.

Edited by Spider Demon

I think Alien Covenant and Prometheus were excellent movies, if not one of the most interesting films by Ridely Scott. I especially love how he focused a lot on the story and lore while at the same time unveiling the origin of the true OG Xenomorph. Most people say they're bad but then again, Ridely has been ridiculed a lot about both movies and still went through with his original idea while also trying to please the never pleasing fans.

48 minutes ago, Spider Demon said:

I think it is probably the among the worse genres of film, and I actually agree that some horror films really lack any cerebral elements to them. However, there are a decent number of great examples of horror films that simple minds absolutely could not enjoy that are absolutely masterful works. Like Kubrick's film rendition of The Shining. They'd say it's just boring and nothing happens in it. There are good horror films that they could easily enjoy along with people who actually go into films expecting something remotely cerebral though.

As for the horror film ratings as "proof": A. That's solely based on critic's scores and B. You look at the first entry of every one of those series, and the ratings are consistently very high across the board.

I'm gonna walk it back and say mindless entertainment is fun sometimes. It's just that horror is so over played.

As for my data, yes, the first movies did well. That is why they got sequels. But why do the sequels get low scores yet they keep making these movies?

27 minutes ago, Spooky Brony 42 said:

I'm gonna walk it back and say mindless entertainment is fun sometimes. It's just that horror is so over played.

As for my data, yes, the first movies did well. That is why they got sequels. But why do the sequels get low scores yet they keep making these movies?

Saying horror is mindless by definition kind of makes you sound biased. Just saying.

Because there generally really isn't room for great creative sequels in horror movies, which is really unfortunate.

Edited by Spider Demon
  • Brohoof 1

On 10/27/2019 at 10:49 AM, Spider Demon said:

Pulp Fiction is an utter mess of a film. Good memorable quotes here and there, but piecing together the plot is way more convoluted and hard to understand than it had any right to be. Not to mention there were a few scenes that were just cringy as f***. Inglorious Basterds to this day remains the best Tarantino film IMHO, at least of the ones I've seen and Pulp Fiction is easily his worst, being probably the only film of his that I think isn't good.

Aight, now you're speakin' some fightin' words here, fam. Pulp Fiction is my absolute favorite movie of all time. The plot isn't even hard to understand. It just requires paying attention.

The Dark Knight was overrated and throat cancer Batman was edgy for the sake of being edgy. I didn't like it yet everyone else loved it.

3 minutes ago, The Historian said:

Aight, now you're speakin' some fightin' words here, fam. Pulp Fiction is my absolute favorite movie of all time. The plot isn't even hard to understand. It just requires paying attention.

I was paying attention the entire time I watched it and it still made no sense until I heard somebody on YouTube explain it. Really, I don't know how it "isn't even hard to understand" because it kind of was, and I'm certainly not stupid. It's not in chronological order, and it's not even in an entirely rational non-chronological order that actually helps with understanding what's even happening and especially what order it happens in.

Frankly the only part of the film that was good was the beginning part where Samuel L. Jackson was yelling at somebody for a reason I already forget, because I kind of chose to forget most of the movie because it frankly is easily Tarantino's worst IMHO. Inglorious Basterds is a way better film because the plot actually made perfect sense and wasn't a convoluted mess.

Edited by Spider Demon

Just now, Spider Demon said:

I was paying attention the entire time I watched it and it still made no sense until I heard somebody on YouTube explain it. Frankly the only part of the film that was good was the beginning part where Samuel L. Jackson was yelling at somebody for a reason I already forget, because I kind of chose to forget most of the movie because it frankly is easily Tarantino's worst.

Worst is probably stretching it a little bit. Still my favorite and didn't take a youtube explanation to understand the plot either. It's just mixed around like a book from the era it was modeled after would have been.

5 minutes ago, The Historian said:

Worst is probably stretching it a little bit. Still my favorite and didn't take a youtube explanation to understand the plot either. It's just mixed around like a book from the era it was modeled after would have been.

In my case it kind of did, and really it's the only film I've ever had to consult YouTube on to fully understand. It's just mixed around to the point of just making no sense, and it really honestly makes me glad Tarantino made this film instead of somebody else who doesn't know how to make a convoluted plot like this one not terrible outright.

I could also do this to your opinion on the Dark Knight (because the middle film is one of my favorite movies of all time), but I won't get into that because I don't like picking fights.

Edited by Spider Demon

I don't think the LOTR movies were well made adaptations (and please don't ask me to list every reason, it would take all day!)

I despise Quentin Tarantino movies.

I think most super hero movies suck, with only a few notable exceptions. 

I do think Citizen Kane is overrated. 

I think CG is overused. It's a nice tool but too much of a crutch for badly written movies.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's one I don't think you'll read anywhere else:

The Avengers is one of the worst movies of all time. The movie is just a bunch of action sequences taped together without any real heart or better yet story. Worse yet, a movie like this is considered great? That boggles my mind, and really makes me worried about the future of film if we're being honest. :unamused: Oh and then there's the fact it's the start of something threatening to kill off good cinema. F***, I can't express my hatred for this movie enough.

Frankly, I think Suicide Squad might even be better, and that says a lot about how $#!+ I think it is.

Edited by Ayyngel Dust

There's no such thing as "real cinema". That's just some thing a bunch of elitist snobs and old fogies with their heads up their own ass made up to shit on movies people like just to make themselves feel smarter and better than everyone else

• Brohoof 2

28 minutes ago, Jefferson Steelflex said:

There's no such thing as "real cinema". That's just some thing a bunch of elitist snobs and old fogies with their heads up their own ass made up to shit on movies people like just to make themselves feel smarter and better than everyone else

You must really hate Martin Scorsese then. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/opinion/martin-scorsese-marvel.html

Seriously, I don't know how to even address this statement other than it sounds like a half-baked personal attack to defend Marvel films.

10 minutes ago, Ayyngel Dust said:

You must really hate Martin Scorsese then. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/opinion/martin-scorsese-marvel.html

Seriously, I don't know how to even address this statement other than it sounds like a half-baked personal attack to defend Marvel films.

"This guy said it, so it must be true"

Seriously, if he had just said he didn't like it, that'd be the end of it. Claiming they're "not real cinema" just gives off a gross sense of elitism. If you don't like the movies then fine, but saying "they're not real cinema" or "they're destroying cinema" is ridiculous and at that point you're just putting people down for enjoying them

Edited by Jefferson Steelflex
  • Brohoof 1

Just now, Jefferson Steelflex said:

"Martin Scorsese said it, so it must be true"

Seriously, if he had just said he didn't like it, that'd be the end of it. Claiming they're "not real cinema" just gives off a gross sense of elitism. If you don't like the movies then fine, but saying "they're not real cinema" or "they're destroying cinema" is ridiculous and at that point you're just putting people down for enjoying them

Odd that you're trying to say that I'm trying to say it's fact when I NEVER did, and try to act like he's attacking people for liking a film, when you're attacking him for having an opinion on a film.