Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What is the worst airport you've been to?

Cyandashie

If you travel a lot like I do, chances are you'll fly through a lot of airports, whether it be for a connecting flight or your final destination; so I was wondering, what's the worst airport you've flown to?

The worst airport I've flown to was Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, which I went to in 2017. I got there at like 10am for a 4pm flight, and there were so many people that there were no seats to sit at.

Atlanta. That has ridiculous connections, often to other terminals, even within the same airline. I also had a customs nightmare when I came back from England on a colleges trip.

• Brohoof 1

I have to agree with @PirateGhostPony. Atlanta is a nightmare to navigate through. Every time I fly through there, my connecting terminal is on the other side of the place and I only have 10 minutes to get there. So, I have to run past the other terminals, go down a hallway, down some stairs, take the tram, take another set of stairs, and run down to my connecting terminal.

• Brohoof 2

7 minutes ago, PirateGhostPony said:

Atlanta. That has ridiculous connections, often to other terminals, even within the same airline. I also had a customs nightmare when I came back from England on a colleges trip.

Just now, Twilight Luna said:

I have to agree with @PirateGhostPony. Atlanta is a nightmare to navigate through. Every time I fly through there, my connecting terminal is on the other side of the place and I only have 10 minutes to get there. So, I have to run past the other terminals, go down a hallway, down some stairs, take the tram, take another set of stairs, and run down to my connecting terminal.

I remember flying through there at least five times a year, and if I can summarize the airport..

-Crowded

-Huge

-Concourse Trains

I haven't had any issues flying through Atlanta, but I've heard lots of bad stories about the airport.

• Brohoof 1

I was too young to remember most of the airports I've been in, and the ones that I do remember were fine. There was one I vaguely remember being massive (I think it was the Seattle Tacoma airport, but I'm not sure), and we almost missed our flight home because of it.

• Brohoof 2

My family and I once went through Phoenix for a connecting flight and it was horribly disorganized. Whoever designed that airport seriously messed up when it comes to making it easy to get from one end of the airport to the other. Here in Denver it's so much better, you just use the underground tram to get from one terminal to another instead of walking in circles, and the terminals are linear instead of structures with a billion branching paths.

• Brohoof 2

I really don't know which one is the worst for me. All the ones I've been to seem pretty similar. Maybe I'll just go with the San Francisco Airport because they lost my luggage during a layover once. I got it back luckily, but it took a few days.

That's a tough one as I've been through a lot, but if I had to pick ONE... I'm going to go with Los Angeles (LAX).  Always stupid busy and packed when I go through there and the international connections just have weird timing.  I either have an hour to get through customs and to my next flight, or I'm sitting at the airport for 10 hours.  No in between.  The traffic around the airport makes wanting to get out for a little bit in those 10 hours a little risky.

• Brohoof 1

I barely remember the airports I went to (save the local city’s one, which I’ve been to more recently to welcome family home), as I haven’t flown since 2005. I didn’t form opinions over any of them.

I have been in an airport once, and I wasn't even going to get on the plane. I've only been to SeaTac and that was a long time ago. All I remember is that it was huge, and sometimes a bit more confusing than it felt like it should be.

Munich airport in Germany. Those communists there acted like such jerks with us and treated us stupidly like we just offended them or something. Not to mention a bunch of their stupid rules they had like "no personal water with you" and they wouldn't even let you empty your water in the bathroom at least but made you drink it.

I don't remember the name of it, it was some AFB in Japan. My flight to South Korea had to land there early because our aircraft lost cabin pressure.

Granted, AFB's have never been the pinnacle of comfort, but that one was pretty terrible.

I DON’T travel a lot, and got lost in Chicago O’Hare. I had a very short layover and it was super stressful to find where I needed to be. The place was just massive.

I wish I hadn’t been so stressed and lost. It would have been cool to explore.

Edited by ShadOBabe

15 minutes ago, Meson Bolt said:

I don't remember the name of it, it was some AFB in Japan. My flight to South Korea had to land there early because our aircraft lost cabin pressure.

Granted, AFB's have never been the pinnacle of comfort, but that one was pretty terrible.

Like an American AFB? You might be thinking of Misawa, which I believe is in Southern Japan.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Cyandashie said:

Like an American AFB? You might be thinking of Misawa, which I believe is in Southern Japan.

Perhaps, I dunno. I was exhausted and slept for the whole 4-hour layover.

• Brohoof 1

Corpus Christi airport .... its 5 terminals big and feels like we're going to land in the cotton or something when coming in. Oh and Orlando International Airport, I actually got lost trying to find which ticket counter was for me and my sister then nearly ended up in the wrong security line cause nothing was marked properly.

• Brohoof 1

Tough call. It's between Little Rock or Bentonville, AR. Bentonville is okay but it was still under construction when I was last there and it was a mess. And I didn't like having to walk out to the plane and board by rolling stair/catwalk thingie. I prefer to stay indoors where it's air conditioned at all times. Little Rock, well, it's Little Rock, what more need I say?  

• Brohoof 1

21 hours ago, Bloodbiscuit said:

Tough call. It's between Little Rock or Bentonville, AR. Bentonville is okay but it was still under construction when I was last there and it was a mess. And I didn't like having to walk out to the plane and board by rolling stair/catwalk thingie. I prefer to stay indoors where it's air conditioned at all times. Little Rock, well, it's Little Rock, what more need I say?  

You've been to Bentonville?? I live in Rogers! :o

• Brohoof 2

I've never had a bad airport experience,

I've only been to Girona airport (which is amazing), and Glasgow airport (which is also amazing)

On 10/27/2019 at 6:26 PM, Sondash Studios said:

Munich airport in Germany. Those communists there acted like such jerks with us and treated us stupidly like we just offended them or something. Not to mention a bunch of their stupid rules they had like "no personal water with you" and they wouldn't even let you empty your water in the bathroom at least but made you drink it.

here they make you bin the water,

I am unsure if they'd let you past with a re-fillable, but the bottles we had we had to bin

• Brohoof 3

Ok, I need to stick up for Atlanta International Airport.  I have always found that place well run and well laid out, especially for its size.  The layout is just five or six concourses, all of which are just straight lines, and all of which are all perpendicular to a central underground spin.  You can walk between any of the concourses through the spine, which contains an optional tram if you need to cover large distances quickly.  Getting anywhere in that airport can be done in three turns.  Turn towards the spine, walk to and enter the spine, turn towards the correct concourse, walk or tram to the concourse, upon entering the concourse turn to the one of only two directions your gate lies in walk to the gate.  Also, the whole airport lies behind one security checkpoint, once you are behind said checkpoint you can move freely throughout the entire airport without any impediments.

That being said, there are two airports that I despise:

Orlando-International Airport  

There are two big problems with this airport.  The first is it has got to have one of the worst TSA security checkpoints I have ever encountered.  There always seems to be a long, snaking, backed up lines of travelers waiting to have their 4th Amendment Rights violated, and the TSA employees always seemed to be in a foul mood.  This is an airport you need to come at least 30 minutes early just to get through security, although I would suggest getting an their an hour early, unless you have TSA pre-check.  The other problem is the trams.  You know how I said the trams were optional for Atlanta airport, well not here.  There are two trams servicing each of four concourses.  The thing is, one of the two trams for a given concourse always seems to be out of service.  So after waiting in the TSA line, get ready to wait in another because the single tram servicing the concourse is backed up.  And I hope you don't have to change concourses, because they recently modified the tram exit in the central terminal to force passengers immediately out of the security checkpoint area, so even if you want to go from one tram to the tram that is literally adjacent to it, you have to go through the security check point again, not to mentioned waiting for not one but two tram rides.  Seriously, I don't think I could come up with a worse airport layout if I tried.  It isn't like it is that big of an airport either, it is just laid out stupid!

Ronald Reagan International Airport  

Ok, this airport isn't stupidly laid out like Reagan, its problem is simple; it's just too small.  This airport has got to be carrying the air traffic of a terminal four times is size.  Nothing is sufficient for the number of travelers in this airport, not the waiting area, not the restrooms, and not the eateries.  And its concourses are all isolated from each other by security checkpoints, and the areas behind each security checkpoint are tiny and horribly overcrowded.  Don't even get me started about the X gates, where you have take buses out to airplanes standing on the runway because, just like everything else, there aren't enough gates for the air traffic.  They honestly need to be routing a lot of this air traffic through Baltimore-Washington International instead, as this airport simply isn't equipped to handle the amount of air traffic and passengers it receives.

As a bonus, it is located in downtown D.C., so just getting to and from this airport is a problem in and of itself. 

Edited by Twilight Dirac