Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What would a live action/CGI MLP movie have been like?

eddeams

Here's what I think:

• Ponies would be animated in a slightly more realistic version of their G4 art styles. Best case scenario: they would look like Detective Pikachu. Worst case scenario: the early design of movie Sonic the Hedgehog.
  • Rather than taking place in Equestria, the plot would've involved the Mane Six getting stuck in our world and trying to get back home. Bonus points if they're in a major city in the US such as New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles.
  • The main antagonist would've been a major villain from FiM.
  • Everypony would've be voiced by big names in Hollywood.
  • The main human character would've been a depressed sap with a pessimistic view of life. And his story arc would involve Twilight and friends teaching him the magic of friendship. (Gee, doesn't THAT sound familiar?)
  • Much of the humor would've derived from the ponies trying to adapt to human customs and technology.
  • Good chances are, the movie would've sucked.

What do you guys think?

Edited by eddeams

Pinkie Pie Twilight Sparkle Fluttershy Rarity Rainbow Dash Pony pink skin nose eye mouth

I was struggling to see them as looking realistic and looking more horse like was kind of terrifying, but then I remembered some higher detailed stuff like this has been made. I don't remember why, but I remember going to see the Smurfs movie in theatres, so I feel it'd have been very similar to that experience.

I guess we just have to be happy with having gotten My Little Dashie, as absurd and heart breaking that story is :laugh:

I HATE live action adaptations of cartoons. The cg characters come to our world and blah blah. The reason why the cartoon was successful was because it wasn't the real world. Every cartoon turned live action is the same. Spend most of the movie seeing the human characters doing boring stuff, then cg characters show up and the humans freak out.

My nightmare scienario for a live action/cg MLP. A little girl lives on a farm and wishes she had a pony. That night there is a flash ofight in the barn. The girl investigates and finds a cg Twilight. 

"Ah you're a talking pony." "Ah you're a human." :baconmane:

Most of the movie is the girl trying to hide the pony, while nobody questions why it is purple. The pony shows up at school and the girl has to hide her, the pony lives in the closet, etc. Then there is some cliche bad guy and the pony uses the magic of friendship to defeat him and everyone accepts the pony into the real world. I hope nobody from Hollywood reads this.

Could be better than Sonic at least.

My problem with most live cartoon adaptation is that they would try to squeeze in a mediocre boring human OC protagonist and make everything about 'humans'. (Won't mind if the character is interesting) I bet they would make it about some lame story about a teenage person going through a portal or ponies coming to the human world and stuff. (I think it was the idea of Sony when they were planning MLP the Movie in the early stage) And even there are some great looking 3d looking artworks out there like the one above, but I doubt that MLP G4's design is optimal for the 3d or live action movie format, which most cartoon movie adaptations seem to forget. It was a bad Idea from the start. And most people who planned those kinds of stuff doesn't care to stop and think first if the subject fits the format, and that means they are shitty decision makers and also shitty movie producers. I am surprised that Detective Pikachu turned out to be so good looking, it's almost a miracle.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

A. Sonic/ Smerfs live action/ CGI deal. Ponies sent to humanverse. Struggle to adapt to human life. Horse villain escapes and becomes stronger through human world macguffins. Ponies and human work together to banish. Ponies go home. Guy gets awkward love interest. 

B. Space Jam/ Rocky and Bullwinkle style live action/ animated deal where ponies are brought to earth where MLP does exist. 4th wall breaks and meta commentary ensue. children and their single dad/ overworked parents are brought closer together. 

C. Alice in Wonderland style reboot sequel, where G1s adult Megan is called back to aid G4 Equestria. Themes of "I don't remember/ I can't do it. I'm not the same person/ This isn't the same Equestria." Does it anyway. Has life affirming revelation and goes home. 

D. Ella Enchanted/ Fat Albert animation to live action conversion.  Equestria girls, but everypony is a live action human and everyone is tangentially like their pony counterparts. Deconstruction of fantasy kids shows and their morals but still preaches them in the end. Everyone at the local high school stops acting like sociopaths an start doing pep rally flash mobs. 

E. Equestria girls but it looks like the Monster High films (post reboot). 

• Brohoof 2

3D animation would be the way to go. Live action? How would that even work? It could work with Equestria Girls... but that kinda has been tried already... People with pastel-colored skin looks... weird. Again, 3D animation would be the way to go.

As for 3D animation, it would be best to maintain the stylized look. So far, this is the best 3D animated style I've come across:

673008.gif

2 hours ago, Remnants said:

Hide contents

673008.gif

No, they need actual fur. That looks like plastic.

22 hours ago, SharpWit said:

Pinkie Pie Twilight Sparkle Fluttershy Rarity Rainbow Dash Pony pink skin nose eye mouth

I was struggling to see them as looking realistic and looking more horse like was kind of terrifying, but then I remembered some higher detailed stuff like this has been made. I don't remember why, but I remember going to see the Smurfs movie in theatres, so I feel it'd have been very similar to that experience.

I guess we just have to be happy with having gotten My Little Dashie, as absurd and heart breaking that story is :laugh:

This is about how it should look.

I think it should be a different world than the Equestria Girls world. The ponies should go through untransformed and interact with live action humans.

Edited by Fluttershutter
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this topic lol

If we talk about a mlp live action (with ponies in the real world) , i don't think that would've be such a good idea. The best i can picture is Detective pikachu , but talking color ponies aren't as popular as Pokemon ( also having in mind that in Pokemon , we are used to pokemons interacting with Humans, while in equestria there aren't humans)

My idea , for a live action series / spin off , would be something like equestria Girls , however for a teenagers audience , following a magical girl anime style (they already have transformations and all of that) . The plot would be something like this : In an average high school , there is a group of 5 friends ( which share the traits and personalities of the original RD , AJ , Rarity , Pinkie and Fluttershy , however they aren't them). They live being bullyng , with the whole high school , by a "big meanie / queen bee " (which represents Sunset before his convertion , however is not sunset from the Pony world). For x reason , the Pony twillight gets in this world, and meets the 5 girls , that have just recently split apart ( kinda like first eqg movie). Twillight shows them magic of friendship bla bla, however this magic corrupts big meanie. When there is no hope , pony twi gives them the 5 geodes , being her the 6th one. This allows them to pony up (getting the ears and also the hair color of their pony counter part / plus wings and maybe even unique weapons). They defeat sunset and bla bla , however they decide to fight the magic that twi bring being "Equestria girls" . From this , i think it could adapat the movies / specials , while having also some differences that makes it unique

It would be...different. Not bad, but that depends on the direction such an idea is taken. 

Edited by Cash_In

I would have gone with a Celestia Movie, where she escapes to the human world and she is badly injured.  A father(Jack Williams) and his daughter(Megan Williams) discover Celestia and nurse  her back to health, all while coming to terms with the death of the father's wife.

Edited by SaburoDaimando

26 minutes ago, SaburoDaimando said:

I would have gone with a Celestia Movie, where she escapes to the human world and she is badly injured.  A father(Jack Williams) and his daughter(Megan Williams) discover Celestia and nurse  her back to health, all while coming to terms with the death of the father's wife. 

"My Little Tia"?

On 10/29/2019 at 4:22 AM, Metal Brony 42 said:

The cg characters come to our worl and blah blah.

That said, I'd love it if someone tried that with a Who Framed Roger Rabbit kinda style.

On 11/12/2019 at 6:37 PM, Quinch said:

"My Little Tia"?

That said, I'd love it if someone tried that with a Who Framed Roger Rabbit kinda style.

More like "Celestia: The Movie."

With Nicole Oliver as Princess Celestia and Hugh Jackman as Jack Williams.  Dunno who should play Megan Williams.

On 11/12/2019 at 8:09 PM, SaburoDaimando said:

Sounds kind of "The Last Unicorn".

7 minutes ago, Fluttershutter said:

Sounds kind of "The Last Unicorn".

Except a bit darker and more depressing(Jack Williams lost his wife and has been struggling to maintain his animal sanctuary), has a fight with Queen Chrysalis, and features a scene where Celestia talks with Optimus Prime.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 9:39 AM, heavens-champion said:

Sounds like something Sony would have come up with. I've seen commercials for the live-action Smurfs movie some few years back. I was unimpressed.

Yeah, that's pretty much the whole point.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

After seeing this trailer (

) for the new Tom & Jerry movie, I guess a live action/animated MLP movie would go Roger Rabbit route, by having every MLP FiM and EQG characters (not just the Mane Characters but also minor, and secondary/recurring characters) just staying animated (in their 2D form which they originated from). 

I'm pretty sure that they stayed in a real world, that is, animated characters aren't from another dimension, they just stayed in real world. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2021-03-30 at 4:59 AM, Sonic Shimmer said:

I just had a vision of the ponies running around New York, getting up to hijinks while generic pop rock music plays in the background.

I pray to Celestia this never becomes a reality :unsure:

The only part I would watch is the Mane Six stumbling upon a hot dog stand.

6 hours ago, eddeams said:

The only part I would watch is the Mane Six stumbling upon a hot dog stand.

Fluttershy would have a complete breakdown if she finds out what hot dogs and hamburgers are made from.

• Brohoof 1