PCutter

Books Would you advocate for book burning the entire Harry Potter series as a means of protest against JK Rowling?

2 minutes ago, Spider Demon said:

And honestly, most of this stuff as you say doesn't bother me at all and in fact works FANTASTICALLY with the canon!

The Harry/Hermione and bathroom things aside (but hey, in the former case, Ron wouldn't mind that at all...in spite of a certain trope extreme Harmonian shippers named for him would say).

Badges

Just now, Renegade the Zombiecorn said:

The Harry/Hermione and bathroom things aside (but hey, in the former case, Ron wouldn't mind that at all...in spite of a certain trope extreme Harmonian shippers named for him would say).

True... The Harry/Hermione thing doesn't work at all with the last movie or the last book and the bathroom thing probably brings up a good few contradictions as well.

1 minute ago, Renegade the Zombiecorn said:

Oh, you use TV Tropes too? Like me?

Anyway, I don't see the so called "political agenda" as a threat. It's still a great book series. 

3 minutes ago, Wolf Guide said:

Oh, you use TV Tropes too? Like me?

Anyway, I don't see the so called "political agenda" as a threat. It's still a great book series. 

Yep, proud to be a troper.

and yeah, I don't see any "agenda" either.

Badges

I quite like the Harry Potter series, I've seen all the movies and read at least four of the books. But that said I really don't care much for J.K. Rowling's current stuff.

I'd more just advise a boycott because she's a sasinnach*,
Not for all the reasons that some people in most of the world are considering book burnings, but because she's incredibly anti-Scotland and very pro-occupation

* Sasinnach (I'm not sure if I spelled it correctly), literally means English-Man in Scottish Gaelic, but in Glaswegian dialect of English means something like Traitor of the Scots for the English or something like that, not really sure how to explain it

If you choose to burn books you've bought I can't stop you however

I wouldn't do that since I love Harry Potter book so much. I read all of them and I really enjoy it📖❤️.. I mean it's just a novel📗📚

You know what HP book should be banish from existence? The book must not be named aka..."The Cursed Child", It like reading a crappy fanfic. I don't even want to hear about it or even go back to it.

I have no idea what goes on outside J.K.Rowling’s published works, and I don’t care. The books are their own universe and what ulterior motives or vaguely hidden subtexts there may be do not affect my own perception of the stories or their characters. If I focused on the private lives and interests of every celebrity, I’d never watch a movie or read a book, ever. So I’ll enjoy the work on its own merits and not on anything else. 

• Brohoof 1
  • Hug 1

(edited)

Not even joking. I would probably die, because I would physically attack anyone I ever saw burning ANY book. Let me just ad that I never read any HP books, and didn't care for the first movie. Even so, I would not stand by and watch a precious book be burned.

Do me a favor. Go read "Fahrenheit 451" right now.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

People that burn their own belongings in anger at an authors/creators actions that are not part of the series are fools. I dont like Rowling politically and find her to be another person whose money insulates here to the point of foolishness. But that has nothing to do with enjoying the literary world she created. Burning something like this is not even going to be a big enough symbolic act to make a difference. 

Instead of putting your energy into pointless rage go out and do something useful with that time and those resources. 

I have absolutely no idea what kind of controversy she got into, but I'm not a fan of destroying things that have the potential to bring joy to others. Instead of burning or destroying something, it's better to donate it.

12 hours ago, Fiendstorm said:

No I wouldn't. In fact, i'd stop whomever is trying to burn the books.

Well sorry to sound confrontational here but who are you to stop someone from doing what they want with their property? Unless they are in some way endangering others you have no right legal or moral to try to lay hands on anyone or demand they not do something. 

Sure I think its stupid. But guess what liberty means people get to be stupid. We do not have a moral right nor generally even a legal one unless the act " picks our pocket or breaks our leg " or by some random chance violates a contract with us, to stop anyone from doing anything without the aforementioned factors being in play. 

Well since i dont read the books anyway, i guess i can just ignore it. Dont really see how any of the mentioned changings actually Change something all that much but okay, it s her Story.

Badges

On 11/1/2019 at 3:39 AM, Jedishy said:

People that burn their own belongings in anger at an authors/creators actions that are not part of the series are fools. I dont like Rowling politically and find her to be another person whose money insulates here to the point of foolishness. But that has nothing to do with enjoying the literary world she created. Burning something like this is not even going to be a big enough symbolic act to make a difference. 

Instead of putting your energy into pointless rage go out and do something useful with that time and those resources. 

Agreed. 

On 11/1/2019 at 12:27 AM, TBD said:

You know what HP book should be banish from existence? The book must not be named aka..."The Cursed Child", It like reading a crappy fanfic. I don't even want to hear about it or even go back to it.

I read it. And then forgot what happened in it shortly afterwards. Completely forgettable and garbage. 

(edited)

Well, at first it went like this.

Faust : Celestia is homosexual and she was in romantic relationship with Chrysalis.

Fans: we don't really care.

Then it got a bit more ridiculous.

Faust: I always pictured G4 Rarity as an Earth pony.

Fans: well, she is an unicorn, but that's fine.

Others: Reeee! People are against Rarity being an Earth pony in G4

Fans: once again she is an unicorn but once again it's just a musical

I don't even have Harry Potter books anymore so there's nothing left to burn.

Edited by R.D.Dash

On 11/3/2019 at 7:49 AM, Jedishy said:

Well sorry to sound confrontational here but who are you to stop someone from doing what they want with their property?

Are you really in favor of book burning?

On 11/8/2019 at 10:12 PM, cuteycindyhoney said:

Are you really in favor of book burning?

This is a very nice straw man question. One easily answered by my own statement on this very page if you bothered to look up. 

On 11/1/2019 at 1:39 AM, Jedishy said:

People that burn their own belongings in anger at an authors/creators actions that are not part of the series are fools.

So its a cute deflection but it does nothing. One does not have to be in favor of something to say that others have the right to engage in it if they wish. I think many things stupid that people do. But it does not give me the right to stop them. 

9 hours ago, Jedishy said:

So its a cute deflection but it does nothing. One does not have to be in favor of something to say that others have the right to engage in it if they wish. I think many things stupid that people do. But it does not give me the right to stop them.

Well if that person really want to stop a person (if one were to witness it)  from burning books then let them. It is their choice hence their rights. As long you don’t go “Batman” on them.

I feel like I'm missing something big. What exactly did JK Rowling do that's so blasphemous or degenerate?

On 10/30/2019 at 1:02 AM, PCutter said:

All I heard is that it involves Dumbledore's sexuality, an Asian character, the race of a female character and whatnot. I don't know much details because I don't care about those drama episodes.

I find it hilarious that the right thinks J. K. Rowling is going out for woke points among the left because the left HATES her. They say she’s a TERF, which means she’s against transpeople. So pretty much the exact opposite of how the right stereotypes her. 

Ugggghhh...  I'm not familiar with any of this, but I briefly googled "JK Rowling controversy", and to be honest, I'm so f*cking sick of this SJW woke culture BS that I don't have the energy, time, or motivation to give a sh*t what she did or didn't do.  The bottom line is that no matter what she's guilty of, nothing warrants the destruction of a brilliant piece of literature.  If you don't want to support someone financially, that's fine, but burning books is one of the most backwards and archaic things someone could do.  (Nevermind the fact that it helps no one, and does nothing but pollute the air.)  Other examples--we shouldn't destroy every trace of The Cosby Show just because he turned out to be sour, nor should we destroy any movie that Kevin Spacey made, nor should we destroy the music of Michael Jackson because of his misdeeds.  Basically, it's never warranted to destroy a creation of art, entertainment, or information just because you dislike or don't agree with the person who created it.  It's like when John Boy defended the right for Hitler's autobiography, Mein Kampf, to exist on The Waltons.  (Sorry, couldn't find a clip).

Badges

I'm going to be publishing a book soon. I'll let you guys know so you can go buy them in the thousands and lite yourselves a bonfire. Go big or go home. :mlp_bedeyes:

Badges