PCutter

Books Would you advocate for book burning the entire Harry Potter series as a means of protest against JK Rowling?

5 hours ago, Jedishy said:

Lets apply your arguement to any other situation:

If someone want to just come into your house and take a nap its their choice so its their rights too

If someone wants to take your food and eat it, its their choice so its their rights too

5 hours ago, Jedishy said:

You do not have any rights to stop other people from doing something legal. You do not have a right to violate the rights of others. And stopping someone from doing what they wish with their property requires one of the following

Okay while you’re not wrong, I’m still going to stand on what I said and stop. Since I think there’s no point of dragging this more than it shouldn’t ya know?..And turning this into a debate section

4 hours ago, TBD said:

Did you just assumed I don’t even bother learning anything about their culture? Where in my comment did I show my arrogance about their culture?  I did however quoted from the wiki about Borobudur about a snake taking a form of human just as you said. So basically I’m showing my acknowledgment towards your insight about their culture when I wasn’t quite aware of it before
As I said before Jk Rowling did mentioned that Naga also mean winged serpent just as you said. So she isn’t all that ignorant with her researching. Moreover without thinking too hard about, snake taking a form of a human or vice versa, technically goes back to half and half.  Half and half doesn’t always mean by appearance but it can also mean by ability to shifting into one thing to another.  Taking a form of human won’t technically make you a complete snake now isn’t? I think that’s what JK Rowling meant with her explanation.

here is things she is right.

• Naga means winged serpent and half human and snake in Hinduism and Indonesian 
  • Nagini is a mythical creature based Indonesia myth.

here what she didn’t specified. She didn’t mention anything that naga is an origin in India and only focus on the Indonesia. But that’s not really a big deal since she figure if she did, people would then debate something stupid like what kind of Asian Nagini is; Indonesian or Indian. 

Because if that, this lead to a huge confusion and having people think she wasn’t doing her research thoroughly.

The bottom line is this character  is based on Indonesian mythical creature.. “In Borobudur, the nagas are depicted in their human form, but elsewhere they are depicted in animal shape”Hance,  her name Nagini kinda give it away. So having her able to turn into a human was a not a huge surprise.

:maud:. A little reminder this is a fictional book we’re talking about. I hate to bring in my background in fiction writing, but every fiction writers knows that to make a story one take something out from something real or an experience and then expend it base on what they see fits. That’s where creativity comes in. It’s doesn’t have to be 100% accurate but if people are so fond with accuracy when it comes to facts and culture, then maybe fiction book isn’t for them. They might as well read a book about Indonesia culture and myths. That’s what Jk did with her story, she takes something from history and make into something she see fits. Does this mean she’s  lack researching? No.

You said you haven’t seen the movie yet, so how would you that? Let give you some insight without spoiling. No they did not establish her backstory specifically. Other then that she’s curse and can turn into snake. They didn’t make it clear if she’s actually a snake that can take form of a human or vice versa but that is currently a fan theory. Aside from that, they did not cover her story just yet in the movie.

Maybe the fact you’ve demonstrated no knowledge of Indonesian culture beyond what you’ve read off the Wikipedia article on nagas? While I’m not a native I did live in Indonesia for an extended period time, and it’s extremely obvious that you are not as familiar with the culture as I am,  and are just trying to defend J. K Rowling’s claims. You’re making up nonsense (eg. that Indonesian nagas are somehow an interpolation between humans and snakes) rather than basing your arguments on the facts (different places have different artistic depictions). Treating your conjecture as if it is of equal value to an understanding based on knowledge is exceedingly frustrating. 

I don’t know why J. K. Rowling claimed nagas are from Indonesian myth, but her depiction is clearly based on the general concept, which is Indian, and not the variety specific to Indonesia. You can make up all the excuses you want, but this is hardly the first time that J. K. Rowling had this problem, this is just the case we took personally. The only reason you don’t hear more Indonesians complaining is because they are happy to get a shoutout at all, even if it’s inaccurate, and it’s fairly harmless mistake. Not all of her mistakes were harmless though. I’m going to link to an article one of her more serious errors. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/books/2016/mar/09/jk-rowling-under-fire-for-appropriating-navajo-tradition-history-of-magic-in-north-america-pottermore

Quit it with your condescending  crap about creativity. You know, I also write fiction too. You’re going off on a strawman while ignoring my actual issue. I’ll say it again: my issue is not with her creative choices, but her justifications for them. 

No, I haven’t seen the movie, but I read the page on the Harry Potter wiki. Maybe it’s drawing from sources outside of the movie, maybe it includes inferences, but either way it implies that she was a human who became trapped in the form of a snake because her curse prevented her from turning back. 

Edited by Ganondox

1 hour ago, Ganondox said:

Maybe the fact you’ve demonstrated no knowledge of Indonesian culture beyond what you’ve read off the Wikipedia article on nagas? While I’m not a native I did live in Indonesia for an extended period time, and it’s extremely obvious that you are not as familiar with the culture as I am,  and are just trying to defend J. K Rowling’s claims. You’re making up nonsense (eg. that Indonesian nagas are somehow an interpolation between humans and snakes) rather than basing your arguments on the facts (different places have different artistic depictions). Treating your conjecture as if it is of equal value to an understanding based on knowledge is exceedingly frustrating. 

I don’t know why J. K. Rowling claimed nagas are from Indonesian myth, but her depiction is clearly based on the general concept, which is Indian, and not the variety specific to Indonesia. You can make up all the excuses you want, but this is hardly the first time that J. K. Rowling had this problem, this is just the case we took personally. The only reason you don’t hear more Indonesians complaining is because they are happy to get a shoutout at all, even if it’s inaccurate, and it’s fairly harmless mistake. Not all of her mistakes were harmless though. I’m going to link to an article one of her more serious errors. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/books/2016/mar/09/jk-rowling-under-fire-for-appropriating-navajo-tradition-history-of-magic-in-north-america-pottermore

No, I haven’t seen the movie, but I read the page on the Harry Potter wiki. Maybe it’s drawing from sources outside of the movie, maybe it includes inferences, but either way it implies that she was a human who became trapped in the form of a snake because her curse prevented her from turning back. 

Haha you say that me getting the facts from a wiki  frustrated you and for my limited knowledge when you just look up Harry Potter wiki to fact searching due to your limited HP knowledge. wow karma hits hard isnt? In fact what’s more hilarious is you just repeating what I said. Which your point is? That doesn’t explain her origin specifically and trust me I seen this movie like 3 times.

Am I really making up stuff? :bea: maybe you should read more on the wiki link I send you because most thing I just said is based on from it. I’m not making anything up. Hell I don’t have the luxury to travel and experience like you do. But I got internet to indulge myself to some extend. Just like how you haven't seen the movie but indulge yourself with the knowledge  from a wiki. Do re-read my comments and the quote I posted that is from wiki and be the judge of it. Most thing you said just now literally goes back what you said before. I’m not going over our last conversations but do re-read it all. Because what you said in the first two paragraphs is just arrogant.

1 hour ago, TBD said:

Haha you say that I got my fact from a wiki and got frustrated for my limited knowledge when you just look up Harry Potter wiki to fact searching. wow karma hits hard isnt? In fact what’s more hilarious is you just repeating what I said. Which your point is? That doesn’t explain her origin specifically and trust me I seen this movie like 3 times.

Am I really making up stuff? :bea: maybe you should read more on the wiki link I send you because most thing I just said is based on from it. I’m not making anything up. Hell I don’t have the lusciously to travel and experience like you do. But I got internet to indulge myself to some extend. Just like how you didnt watch the movie but indulge yourself with the knowledge  from a wiki. Do re-read my comments and the quote I posted that is from wiki and be the judge of it. Most thing you said just now literally goes back what you said before. I’m not going over our last conversations but do re-read it all. Because what you said in the first two paragraphs is just arrogant.

What karma? You know it’s not a synonym for hypocrisy, right? Of course, misusing ideas from Hinduism is exactly what I would expect from you. 

It’s not hypocrisy though, as the issue isn’t using wikis itself. Do you seriously think I’m so dumb that I would bring up something just to contradict myself in the very same comment? Note how it’s two different contexts (big difference between understanding a culture in general and looking up a specific fact about a fictional character), not just in terms of the content of the wiki, but to what I was replying to. You’re overlooking some key nuances, and unlike you I was upfront about where my experience was lacking, whereas you set yourself up for being called out.  

Yes, you were making stuff up. When you go “moreover without thinking too hard about, snake taking a form of a human or vice versa, technically goes back to half and half,” it’s clear you are injecting in your own conclusions rather than going with what was actually stated. I read the same article that you seem to think is the authoritative source on everything about nagas in Indonesia, that’s the only reason I found it to be even worth mentioning Borobudur. One thing you overlooked is that the article only mentioned transformation on the Buddhist context. One thing that you wouldn’t get from the article by itself is that Borobudur is a Buddhist temple, which is why it’s portrayal of nagas is different from the rest of Indonesia where it came directly from Hinduism. The Indonesian specific variety are strictly snakes, nobody thinks of Borobudur when they think of Indonesian nagas. 

I’m sorry, I’m the arrogant one when you’re trying to lecture me about what naga means in Indonesian despite me living there? For one, naga is NOT the Indonesia word for snake, the Indonesia word for snake is ular. Indonesian is not derived from Sanskrit, it’s an Austronesian, not an Indo-European one. Living in Indonesia wasn’t a “lusciously” (I assume you mean luxury?) it was for work. We aren’t rich, air fare is just cheap in Asia. Fact of the matter is using the internet to cherry pick whatever fits what you’re attempting to prove is no substitute for rounded organic experience. Also, I suggest you reread your own comments, you aren’t anywhere as coherent as you think you are.

PS: Here is an Indian source calling J. K Rowling out on this: https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.hindustantimes.com/hollywood/jk-rowling-claims-fantastic-beasts-nagini-has-indonesian-roots-amish-schools-her-in-indian-naagins/story-fYIo894hm2e0xI9u6YqUkI_amp.html Turns out the original tweet was even worse than I thought, she’s trying really hard to force in the Indonesian connection and make it looks like she did more research than she actually did. 

50 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

Yes, you were making stuff up. When you go “moreover without thinking too hard about, snake taking a form of a human or vice versa, technically goes back to half and half,” it’s clear you are injecting in your own conclusions rather than going with what was actually stated.

That's just my opinion no need to get all fire up. 

Alright I noticed we are getting a little too heated here and I don't want this to get lock. So I'm just going stop. *take a deep breath* Look, I might have gotten a bit over the top since I'm also dealing with another topic in a term of debate and might've bring my emotion into this more than it shouldn't. My apology for being a bit to hard  on this and not able to see the main point what you're trying to convey. I will accept my mistake for not able to understand this whole Naga namesake and myth as you explained since I might have let my HP fan persona  get best out of me.  I understand JK Rowling might not have been specific or accurate as she should and not able to accept that Naga is also included in other Asian's culture on a different perspective. But I really do not want this to ruin the whole HP world/franchise  just because of that. I don't really care what her direction are for this character Nagini, but I do like the idea that Nagini  actually can turn into human and not just a snake. It's was good plot twist and a great addition to her character. But I do appreciated you giving some new insight and again, I apology for getting all heat up just because I might've got offended when it come to HP backlash. 

3 minutes ago, TBD said:

That's just my opinion no need to get all fire up. 

Alright I noticed we are getting a little too heated here and I don't want this to get lock. So I'm just going stop. *take a deep breath* Look, I might have gotten a bit over the top since I'm also dealing with another topic in a term of debate and might've bring my emotion into this more than it shouldn't. My apology for being a bit to hard  on this and not able to see the main point what you're trying to convey. I will accept my mistake for not able to understand this whole Naga namesake and myth as you explained since I might have let my HP fan persona  get best out of me.  I understand JK Rowling might not have been specific or accurate as she should and not able to accept that Naga is also included in other Asian's culture on a different perspective. But I really do not want this to ruin the whole HP world/franchise  just because of that. I don't really care what her direction are for this character Nagini, but I do like the idea that Nagini  actually can turn into human and not just a snake. It's was good plot twist and a great addition to her character. But I do appreciated you giving some new insight and again, I apology for getting all heat up just because I might've got offended when it come to HP backlash. 

You’re taking things personally as a big HP fan, I’m taking it personally as someone with close ties to Indonesia, either way we’re putting more into this argument than it’s really worth. The point I was making is that the left has just as much of a problem with Rowling as the right, though they don’t advocate for book burning. For me personally, I think Rowling is just a regular person who has extended beyond her expertise. It has not impact on my enjoyment of the series, I just think making Nagini a human was dumb on its own terms, not for the external reasons. Then again, I haven seen that movie so I can’t judge the execution. I’m not going to boycott her works over any of this, though I’m not a big enough fan to go out of my way to see it, I just let the opportunities come. 

37 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

You’re taking things personally as a big HP fan, I’m taking it personally as someone with close ties to Indonesia, either way we’re putting more into this argument than it’s really worth. The point I was making is that the left has just as much of a problem with Rowling as the right, though they don’t advocate for book burning. For me personally, I think Rowling is just a regular person who has extended beyond her expertise. It has not impact on my enjoyment of the series, I just think making Nagini a human was dumb on its own terms, not for the external reasons. Then again, I haven seen that movie so I can’t judge the execution. I’m not going to boycott her works over any of this, though I’m not a big enough fan to go out of my way to see it, I just let the opportunities come. 

Yeah talk about head bumping there xp. But you have the right to take it personal since it's your culture while for me, it's pointless to get all heat up over something fictional ya know? I mean I would too if my culture is being portrayed wrong.  So you're fine there and I do appreciated you sharing your insight and culture and I will keep that in mind in the future if I meet some other HP fan like me who doesn't know the true meaning behind "Naga'.  I respect JK rowling for her story, her world she created and her work. But I do admitted that she can sometime just have her head in the clouds. Like how she actually changed her mind about Hermione being white and now accepted her as African American. Even in her book she describe her with pale skin. Buuut….that's whole different story.   

I don't like the fact of burning her books just because she had say many BS in the past. At the same time, I try not to think about it too much since JK rowling does have her best and also her worst moment that make people cringe and sometime me as well. but that's everyone.  That doesn't change my mind about HP itself overall. 

As for the movie, I would say this..Nagini is kinda of a floater in the movie. What I mean is, she just there for the sake of just being there or just there for being the "tie" to the fantastic beast world and HP world. If that make sense?  It's kinda disappointing really since I wanted to her play out her character more. but this movie is more about Credence. Although I hope for the next movie, she may have a bigger role and show the connection how she become from a nice girl to  a evil servant.

I have a question about the whole Naga thing, so what JK rowling says here.

Spoiler

She should have actually meant it as mythical creature from India and not Indonesia right? So what is Indonesia myth and views on Naga then? just a human? or snake in a form of human?

8 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I had to come back just one more time. I stand against this thread.

This is what book burning means. The simple idea of it makes me feel physically sick to my stomach.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2010/sep/10/book-burning-quran-history-nazis

https://www.ushmm.org/exhibition/book-burning/burning.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_burning

Yeah, and if you don't like the books, simply don't buy and let the people who love the books for their reasons do so. That applies to ANY kind of medium or fanbase

• Brohoof 1
  • teacup 1

4 hours ago, TBD said:

Yeah talk about head bumping there xp. But you have the right to take it personal since it's your culture while for me, it's pointless to get all heat up over something fictional ya know? I mean I would too if my culture is being portrayed wrong.  So you're fine there and I do appreciated you sharing your insight and culture and I will keep that in mind in the future if I meet some other HP fan like me who doesn't know the true meaning behind "Naga'.  I respect JK rowling for her story, her world she created and her work. But I do admitted that she can sometime just have her head in the clouds. Like how she actually changed her mind about Hermione being white and now accepted her as African American. Even in her book she describe her with pale skin. Buuut….that's whole different story.   

I don't like the fact of burning her books just because she had say many BS in the past. At the same time, I try not to think about it too much since JK rowling does have her best and also her worst moment that make people cringe and sometime me as well. but that's everyone.  That doesn't change my mind about HP itself overall. 

As for the movie, I would say this..Nagini is kinda of a floater in the movie. What I mean is, she just there for the sake of just being there or just there for being the "tie" to the fantastic beast world and HP world. If that make sense?  It's kinda disappointing really since I wanted to her play out her character more. but this movie is more about Credence. Although I hope for the next movie, she may have a bigger role and show the connection how she become from a nice girl to  a evil servant.

I have a question about the whole Naga thing, so what JK rowling says here.

Reveal hidden contents

She should have actually meant it as mythical creature from India and not Indonesia right? So what is Indonesia myth and views on Naga then? just a human? or snake in a form of human?

I haven't looked much into the Hermione being black thing, but from what I've heard it sounds kinda disingenuous for the reason you gave. Still, it's not really important as her race isn't an essential part of her character, unlike Ron where the Weasley's red hair is one of their key traits. 

So why did they even include Nagini? Sounds like her only role was to build hype/drama. 

If she said India it would have been much more accurate as to where nagas come from, but she clearly meant Indonesia as she gave a random fact about Indonesia. While that fact is technically correct, it actually undersells just how diverse Indonesia is, and it appears to be pandering to the ethnicities most likely to view her tweet. 

Indonesian nagas are strictly snakes (to the extent they can even be considered snakes, there is a reason naga is sometimes translated as dragon, main thing is they definitely aren't human), the ones on Borobudur aren't recognizable as being nagas unless you know the Buddhist depictions. The main thing though is that nagas really aren't an important part of Indonesian culture, which is why it's really odd that she credited them as being from Indonesia. The country is mostly Muslim today, so they are just statues of gods people don't believe in. That's the context missing from the article, but beyond that the article can tell you more. You see them in artwork and statues, but it's not like people ever talk about them. Just google image search "Indonesian naga" and "naga" and you'll see a huge difference. 

Because nagas hold no sacred significant to most Indonesians, they are happy to just claim nagas as theirs even though it's not an accurate claim as it gets them attention which they never get. The only part that's actually offensive is the implication that Asians are interchangeable. 

Edited by Ganondox

17 hours ago, Ganondox said:

I haven't looked much into the Hermione being black thing, but from what I've heard it sounds kinda disingenuous for the reason you gave. Still, it's not really important as her race isn't an essential part of her character, unlike Ron where the Weasley's red hair is one of their key traits. 

So why did they even include Nagini? Sounds like her only role was to build hype/drama. 

If she said India it would have been much more accurate as to where nagas come from, but she clearly meant Indonesia as she gave a random fact about Indonesia. While that fact is technically correct, it actually undersells just how diverse Indonesia is, and it appears to be pandering to the ethnicities most likely to view her tweet. 

Indonesian nagas are strictly snakes (to the extent they can even be considered snakes, there is a reason naga is sometimes translated as dragon, main thing is they definitely aren't human), the ones on Borobudur aren't recognizable as being nagas unless you know the Buddhist depictions. The main thing though is that nagas really aren't an important part of Indonesian culture, which is why it's really odd that she credited them as being from Indonesia. The country is mostly Muslim today, so they are just statues of gods people don't believe in. That's the context missing from the article, but beyond that the article can tell you more. You see them in artwork and statues, but it's not like people ever talk about them. Just google image search "Indonesian naga" and "naga" and you'll see a huge difference. 

Because nagas hold no sacred significant to most Indonesians, they are happy to just claim nagas as theirs even though it's not an accurate claim as it gets them attention which they never get. The only part that's actually offensive is the implication that Asians are interchangeable. 

The debate about Hermione ethnicity was a problematic ever since the play “cursed child” cast a African actress for her. I mean if the actress is good enough for this character then so be it. But that wasn’t a problem. The problem was JK Rowling simply take these people words too literally and force changes upon Hermione’s ethnicity in a favor for her fans who supported black Hermione. Either way I think the cursed child is one of the worst thing that ever happen. Even she didn’t write it but she advocated it by simply taking almost everything from a fanfics and put into the story. Thus ruining the whole HP lore.  And for what? Please the fans. 

I don’t know why she would add Nagini she never said other then she wants to connect the fantastic beast lore to the HP. Although I don’t think Nagini is not Necessary for bringing two lores together since you already got Dumbledore and grindelwald. I thought she might be a bigger role but for now she seem a bit of a random character. And also for the sake to be Credence’s love interests. I don’t mind it but it seem just out of a blue really.

ohh I see, man  she could at least just say it’s origin is from India, and I think like you say, she probably have  focus naga  to tie with Indonesia for the sake of Nagini’s ethnicity.  But that just not accurate. So Indonesia doesn’t really “own” Naga as their myth or culture then huh? It’s interesting that naga to them mean dragon but they view it as snakes but not human then. Also would you say then Indonesia typically doesn't really have a core belief on naga?  If so,  would mean the other Asia country  just happen to migrate their beliefs onto Indonesia(?)

hey uh guys

Edited by Larksy

Badges

On 11/12/2019 at 2:06 PM, TBD said:

The debate about Hermione ethnicity was a problematic ever since the play “cursed child” cast a African actress for her. I mean if the actress is good enough for this character then so be it. But that wasn’t a problem. The problem was JK Rowling simply take these people words too literally and force changes upon Hermione’s ethnicity in a favor for her fans who supported black Hermione. Either way I think the cursed child is one of the worst thing that ever happen. Even she didn’t write it but she advocated it by simply taking almost everything from a fanfics and put into the story. Thus ruining the whole HP lore.  And for what? Please the fans. 

I don’t know why she would add Nagini she never said other then she wants to connect the fantastic beast lore to the HP. Although I don’t think Nagini is not Necessary for bringing two lores together since you already got Dumbledore and grindelwald. I thought she might be a bigger role but for now she seem a bit of a random character. And also for the sake to be Credence’s love interests. I don’t mind it but it seem just out of a blue really.

ohh I see, man  she could at least just say it’s origin is from India, and I think like you say, she probably have  focus naga  to tie with Indonesia for the sake of Nagini’s ethnicity.  But that just not accurate. So Indonesia doesn’t really “own” Naga as their myth or culture then huh? It’s interesting that naga to them mean dragon but they view it as snakes but not human then. Also would you say then Indonesia typically doesn't really have a core belief on naga?  If so,  would mean the other Asia country  just happen to migrate their beliefs onto Indonesia(?)

Is Nagini supposed to be Indonesian? If that’s the case than I finally get what she’s trying to get at (a Korean can pass of as an Indonesia much better than they could pass off as an Indian) though Nagini is definitely not an Indonesian name. It’s just the female form of naga, but unlike Sanskrit Indonesian doesn’t have gender.

Indonesia has its own naga myths, they just evolved from those India, and evolved so they weren’t regarded as being half-human. The Indonesian variety also takes influence from native gods and Chinese dragons. India and China are huge cultural influences across all of South East Asia. 

Edited by Ganondox

16 hours ago, Ganondox said:

Is Nagini supposed to be Indonesian? If that’s the case than I finally get what she’s trying to get at (a Korean can pass of as an Indonesia much better than they could pass off as an Asian) though Nagini is definitely not an Indonesian name. It’s just the female form of naga, but unlike Sanskrit Indonesian doesn’t have gender.

hmm that makes sense now. And I don't really know for sure since that's what everyone is saying based on jk's twit I send you.  And also JK just wants to make a point for those people that backlashes against her for making Nagini Asian. In the movie, Nagini was in a freak circus and the ringmaster said something about her moved away from her homeland. Although it didn't say where. I hope maybe we would get somewhere with her origin more.  But with JK rowling having a  misunderstanding with involving naga too heavily on Indonesia, for now people think she might be from Indonesia.  it strange though, in the movie the ringmaster say she has a cursed blood that made her turn into snake. Which is completely different from the actual myth. Although some fans theorized that she could just be an actual snake that can turn into human.

16 hours ago, Ganondox said:

Indonesia has its own naga myths, they just evolved from those India, and evolved so they weren’t regarded as being half-human. The Indonesian variety also takes influence from native gods and Chinese dragons. India and China are huge cultural influences across all of South East Asia. 

I see,  so then for Indonesia, no human involved  in the naga myth then(?) I actually like this whole Naga myth since it involved with many Asian culture and taking into different perspective, ( a bit confusing at first but getting there) Now I just wish jk could have been more clearer or work on it better. 

5 hours ago, Larksy said:

hey uh guys

*kick a book on fire aside

NOPE no burning books here.:awwthanks:

Don't know why would anyone care about what the author thinks about anything since it's completely irrelevant  if we are talking about the books 

Oh my god JK Rowling...

https://mobile.twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1207646162813100033

in case some are curious who’s Maya, she a woman who got fired at her job for posting a tweet about not accepting transwomen as women. 

Okay, I believe JK Rowling probably meant that she think getting fired over a little thing like that and for sharing an opinion is unacceptable. Not because she’s transphobia as everyone seems to be overreacting over... But I think JK Rowling should just sit back and shut up, knowing this often leads to getting very ugly.

23 minutes ago, TBD said:

in case some are curious who’s Maya, she a woman who got fired at her job for posting a tweet about not accepting transwomen as women. 

She did not get fired, her contract ended and was not renewed. She maintained that the reason the contract was not renewed was because of that tweet, but in any case the tribunal she complained to maintained that she did not have any legal grievances. This has kinda been blown out of proportions by people~

Badges

To be fair, I strongly dislike most modern forms of media based mostly on the bases of "forced diversity" etc. The powers that be and elites constantly fail to understand that the general population is not as "woke" as they are, and I use the term woke very sarcastically. :orly:  

15 minutes ago, Alastor said:

She did not get fired, her contract ended and was not renewed. She maintained that the reason the contract was not renewed was because of that tweet, but in any case the tribunal she complained to maintained that she did not have any legal grievances. This has kinda been blown out of proportions by people~

Damnit article... so misleading. :dry:(The one I read)

On 10/30/2019 at 2:02 AM, PCutter said:

All I heard is that it involves Dumbledore's sexuality, an Asian character, the race of a female character and whatnot. I don't know much details because I don't care about those drama episodes.

nasty, l did heard something like that from my brother.

Badges

Ummm...what?  Book burning?  What kind of drug makes one even consider something like that, because I sure as heck don't want to take it.  Also, burning books after they've already bought doesn't mean the money spent on them will be refunded.  JK Rowling has her money.  Just saying.  Destroying already purchased products has to be the dumbest form of protest I've ever heard of (and this is far from the only example I've seen of people considering or actually doing it).  Maybe try reading up on how capitalism works?

As for me, JK Rowling hasn't done anything that offends me, and even if she did, I don't bring politics into my enjoyment (or lack thereof) of media.  I love the Harry Potter series, and the author can say whatever the heck she wants.  That won't change the work.  She says she thinks Dumbledore is gay, but...has that actually been confirmed in the books?  At all?  If not, then who cares what she says?  It could be part of the reason why he never settled down, and reading it that way...doesn't change how I feel about the character.  But, it's also not stated in the books as far as I know, so if you don't want to read that into it...don't.  I'm probably far closer to the death of the author end of the spectrum when it comes to how I consume media, so maybe it comes down to personal philosophy, but even if I didn't approach media that way I'd still firmly believe that people these days really need to chill with politics.

Also, if you decide you're no longer a fan of a particular work, why not sell it or give it away or something?  That's far less wasteful.  

Badges

You burn a book, you are a barbarian. Full stop. And you can never regain any claim to being a civilized human being again afterwards. Book burners are barbarians.

I see creators and their works as entirely separate things. I don't care what my favorite artists, actors, writers, or whatever are like in their daily lives. I have no idea what J.K. Rowling has done that would warrant book-burning, but I love the seven (and absolutely no more than seven) existing Harry Potter books. True, I don't care about a lot of the things happening in the franchise right now, but that will never diminish the quality of the original seven books, which I still see as the best books ever made, especially Deathly Hallows.

Badges

6 minutes ago, KatonRyu said:

I see creators and their works as entirely separate things. I don't care what my favorite artists, actors, writers, or whatever are like in their daily lives. I have no idea what J.K. Rowling has done that would warrant book-burning, but I love the seven (and absolutely no more than seven) existing Harry Potter books. True, I don't care about a lot of the things happening in the franchise right now, but that will never diminish the quality of the original seven books, which I still see as the best books ever made, especially Deathly Hallows.

I couldn't say it better myself!

Badges