Splashee

G1 (n Friends) Call upon the Sea Ponies, and its catchiness

Being able to create a good song isn't easy, especially if you want or need it to be catchy. G4 did have catchy songs, like the "Cafeteria Song" and the "Find the Music In You" song (which kinda sounds like the Sea Ponies song), where you sing it for weeks after.

If you haven't heard this song yet, I challenge you to never sing it in your head or out loud (good luck). And also to appreciate the past MLP songs, even when they might not stand up to today's standards, it is quite hard work to succeed with a catchy song *applause*

Badges

It really is hard not to sing it! I think the reason it's so catchy is because it uses the 50s/doo wop progression (I-vi-IV-V). So does "Nothing Can Stop the Smooze" from the G1 movie; but that one's a bit more obvious due to the "bow-bow-bow-bow" backing vocals.

Badges

@Renegade the Unicorn Yea I absolutely agree. I would also like to point out the real orchestra (instruments) for the music, and not cheap synthesizer. I know it was in the 80's, but that us still a budget option to consider. The power of the real brass instruments really make the song have the punch to it!

Badges

The progression of this song plus how the melody flows is what gives this song its catchiness. Like @Renegade the Unicorn stated, the I-IV-V-I and following professions contribute to the style.