Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls: Holidays Unwrapped: Official Discussion. (Spoilers Within)

Ganondorf8

25 minutes ago, Sky Serenade said:

"My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Annual 2013."

That one with how Sunset Shimmer became ambitious and ran away into the human world through the Mirror? Because I got that one.

ahaha I posted a status about this today. Forgot that there are topics about the specials/episodes

The Saving Private Ryan snowball fight, Applejack's heist plan, the three couples exchanging gifts, and snips and snails exchanging gifts were all my favorite parts of the special.

It was so funny and cute! 

I've seen many people saying that they prefer material like this from EQG, and I will say I don't. I definitely prefer the more emotional heart gripping stories of the first 4 EQG movies, Mirror Magic, Rollercoaster of friendship, and Forgotten Friendship. Especially because of the songs. 

But yea, Spring Breakdown an this special are still very enjoyable and extremely funny, but doesn't have that extra unf that the other EQG content does. 

• Brohoof 3

20 minutes ago, Misscellanio said:

I've seen many people saying that they prefer material like this from EQG, and I will say I don't. I definitely prefer the more emotional heart gripping stories of the first 4 EQG movies, Mirror Magic, Rollercoaster of friendship, and Forgotten Friendship. Especially because of the songs. 

I think they meant 7 minute shorts instead of 2 minute ones, which has been a constant from pastel humans in years :huh:. For the record, I do prefer bigger stuff as well, but longer shorts would have worked far better I do agree

too bad they thought of it at the end tho :dry:

Edited by Steve Piranha
  • Brohoof 2

8 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

I think they meant 7 minute shorts instead of 2 minute ones, which has been a constant from pastel humans in years :huh:. For the record, I do prefer bigger stuff as well, but longer shorts would have worked far better I do agree

too bad they thought of it at the end tho :dry:

Ah I see. Idk I liked the 2 min shorts just as fine, especially the songs. 

The movements and facial expressions are way more advanced compared to the first EQG movie, I think It's the best of all EQG series and It's the most notable thing in this special. If this was the first EQG, not that much people would have hated it.

I also noticed that their eyebrow colors match their hair colors, and not plain black anymore.

The characters feels more like living breathing people in the world becausr they seek fun, they feel furstration and they bond together casually. The runtime has a good balance between being too short to complete a meaningful story arc and being too long for a slice of life episode. They were heartfelt specials and captures the essence of what I like about the EQG shorts and what makes EQG special for me. I think this is a gold standard for both EQG shorts and specials, and I could only wish that they will make more like these.

ps. Can someone tell me what exact fruits and vegetables the characters were wearing at the end?

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 1

On 11/6/2019 at 12:56 PM, Sky Serenade said:

Yeah, that Holiday Special 2014 IDW comic was terrible. :sunny: The Spring Annual was Comic was pretty good though, developing the Mane 5 and even shedding some light on Sunset's backstory when she was Celestia's student.

I know that a lot of people don't like the Holiday 2014 special but I'm actually one of those who does enjoy it despite the obvious problems it has. I appreciate it for what it was trying to do with the source material and the fact that they went with Equestria Girls as opposed to Friendship is Magic.

• Brohoof 2

Simple, cute fun.  I loved it.

So, the promo said that this was their final set of adventures, so I guess this is really it this time?  I always hoped that we would get an epic final EG movie with a big closing arc in which all of the humans go to Equestria and join forces with their counterparts in a massive infinity war.  However, that only would have been possible pre-Pony finale.  Now that the finale is done, it would sully the (perfect) ending to FIM to go back and revisit Equestria on EG.  And so, as such, I was hoping that this finale would be a simple, non-Equestrian magic story that didn't touch Equestria at all so as not to mess up the ending to FIM.  They delivered, and I was not disappointed.  They did just the right thing with this special, y'know, given the timing and the fact that it was too late to do any more Equestrian arcs.

I didn't know it was going to be several short stories, but I liked it.  I only wish that we had had more of a proper sendoff, a musical montage or something at the end that would really make it feel like an ending, and a closing to EG.  That was my only complaint.  But I'd rather have exactly what we got than have them try to do something too epic and mess up Pony or something.

Here's my rapid-fire bullet point thoughts:

• The amount of work and effort put into making that phony snow day was far more than it would have been to just take the friggin' test.  :ButtercupLaugh:
  • Okay, so Pinkie--you make a soufflé every year for Rarity, but never get it to her in time?  There's so many solutions here that it's not even funny.  First off, now that you have access to frigging Quicksilver from X-Men, why not just have Rainbow run it over to Rarity?  She could get it there in literally half a second.  Far better still, why not invite Rarity over to your friggin' house and just bake the soufflé for her right there, and she can eat it right when it comes out of the oven?!
  • That snowball fight was epic and surprisingly dark!  :blink:  Loved it!
  • I feel sorry for Flash.  I think he wants to get back together with Sunset.  When she dated him, she was obviously just using him as a power play to become popular.  He probably stopped liking her when he realized she was a total bi-atch, but after she turned herself around, I think he really started liking her again.  He's a big "EG" fan, but he obviously swoons over Sunset in particular.  I don't think he ever stopped being attracted to her, and I think he really want to be a couple again and do it right this time, but I'm not sure she ever felt "that way" about him.  Poor Flash.
  • AJ--if you want to use your powers so much, why didn't you suggest just breaking into Sunset's storage unit? :dash:
  • AJ--why did you go to so much trouble to outsmart the Flim Flam bros.?  Why didn't you just call the frigging cops?!  I mean, what Flim and Flam were doing was clearly theft and vandalism.  :laugh:
  • When Rainbow told Zephyr that she'd do "anything", we all know what he was thinking...  :orly:
  • I have no idea why, I but absolutely loved Twilight's surprised reaction to Sunset having a podiatrist.  OH!  You know wha'd be funny and actually pretty realistic and legit?  Sunset should have added gynecologist to that list!  :ButtercupLaugh:  Oh... goodness gracious.  Celestia kill me.
  • Several characters said "aw, man" in disappointment.  I've always wondered if we would said "aw, woman" when bemoaning something if we'd had a historically matriarchal society.  :dash:
  • Twilight having everyone dress as the quadratic equation was priceless.  That's one of the best adorkable, nerdy Twi jokes they've ever done.  It reminds me of when Sheldon Cooper dressed as the doppler effect.  And Rainbow's math pun...  :ButtercupLaugh:

I guess that's it.  A little anti-climactic for the last EG thing ever, but I'm happy with it.

Edited by Justin_Case001
  • Brohoof 1

It's unfortunate that EqG puttered out instead of going out with a bang. I'm not really sure where Hasbro decided to go after Legend of Everfree. That being said, I liked these shorts - they were far more entertaining than the 2 minute ones, which I couldn't bring myself to finish. The snowball fight and school heist ones are gold. Even though it's the end, I'm glad it went on as long as it did, and that the EgG team produced such great content over the 6 years they worked on this.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2019 at 5:14 PM, R.D.Dash said:

What Flim and Flam were doing to the Apples were a literal crime. How Applejack didn't end up calling a police on them is beyond me.

Sake of comedy. Just like Twi having phobia for ladybugs, it isn’t supposed to be taken seriously

in other news, there are some Pony Life coming next year for Celestia and Luna, but there are some new pastel human toys as well. It is possible EG will continue :huh:?

https://ponytoynews.weebly.com/home/entertainmentearth-lists-brand-new-toys-for-2020

• 3 weeks later...

This is a bit of a random note to end the series on, but at the same time I thought all five of these were pretty great. I liked the previous shorts a lot, for the most part, but having a few more minutes on these ones allows for some more elaborate gags, which are also pretty delightful. Some of these feel different tonally from what My Little Pony usually does, but this is also the most confident and coherent that this show has been in a while. I would watch an entire year's worth of shorts just like this. 

"Blizzard or Bust" - This is one of the sillier ones, but I like seeing these characters doing dumb teenager things. This feels like something you'd see in a decent teen comedy; this series was overdue to bring up detention at some point. The part where the birds made a Fluttershy sculpture was pretty wild. 

"The Thin Red Pie" - Also really silly, and honestly this one doesn't quite feel the same as most My Little Pony episodes to me, but it also contains some peak Pinkie Pie, and Sunset Shimmer engaging with the horrifying snowball fight is delightful. 

"The Cider Louse Fools" - I was a little less down with this one than the others - all the complicated twists start to get old before the end - but the whole concept of an escalating prank war between the Apples and the Flim Flam Bros. is delightful. I liked that the guests weren't even real. Also, Apple Bloom looks older than I expected in these shorts.

"Winter Break-In" - This might be one of my favourite Equestria Girls shorts. In all its ridiculous heist nonsense, it kinda reminded me of "Sparkle's Seven." I like that Sunset apparently gets all jazzed up about going on crazy adventures and stuff; it adds a dimension to her character that we didn't really see before. The Applejack one is not what I expected but it's pretty rad. And then it turns out that Twilight just has Principal Celestia's number, because of course she does, and Celestia helps them out, because she's a nice person. Wonderful. 

Twilight making a joke about a gym membership just makes me think that Twilight probably doesn't get much exercise. I mean, it would make sense. I like that she's such a dork for rules and such; Equestria Girls has really doubled down on her nerdy side, and I think that gets to the essence of the character. 

"That's worse than clothes!" "Excuse me?" - a perfect exchange. Honestly, there are great character moments from everyone in this one. 

"Dashing Through The Mall" - This one is slightly more sentimental than the other ones and thus feels a little more on-brand to me. I knew I would not be ready for Zephyr Breeze wearing VR goggles, and I wasn't, though he seemed a bit more dumb than self-centered in this one, which isn't quite as funny to me. But Dash trying out the prank gifts is that good stuff, and Fluttershy having an elaborate use for a second camera is perfect. Also, what was with Sunset's grimace at the video game? Something went wrong there. 

These two are totally a couple, right? They’re adorable.98E4BFE7-ADC7-40DE-A784-53A536132926.thumb.png.f69eb2d1cf5251e4fe9acf70014d391a.png

Pinkie should have invited Rarity to come over while she makes the souffle. That seems like the obvious solution to that problem. 

Flash Sentry seems like a nice guy. I kinda wish they did something with him rather than turning him into a running joke. I'm not entirely sure he realized that Sunset never liked him. 

I was kinda hoping that Sunset would get a girlfriend before the end of this series. They said she was bisexual on Twitter, which doesn't surprise me at all, and I think the same-sex relationship would have been nice to confirm that. Although it's interesting that, unlike Friendship is Magic, it seems like Twilight is the only one who's in a relationship at the end of this series.

Edited by AlexanderThrond

On 11/9/2019 at 4:36 AM, Justin_Case001 said:
  • Twilight having everyone dress as the quadratic equation was priceless.  That's one of the best adorkable, nerdy Twi jokes they've ever done.  

Wait what was this? I guess I missed it. 

11 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Also, what was with Sunset's grimace at the video game? Something went wrong there. 

It was a sequel to the game where she lost her tempter and Fluttershy whooped her

• Brohoof 1

Oh, there's another one! These are all so good!

"O Come All Ye Squashful" - Peak Rarity AND Peak Twilight? They should have sent a poet. Also, it's bizarre watching Sunset shift from being the almighty great friend in Legend of Everfree to maybe the worst friend of the lot this season, but it's a personality and she didn't have one of those before. And I'm always down for Pinkie Pie desperately making puns to lighten the mood. I will say, though, that Fluttershy's costume looks nice. She has an affinity for plants that the others don't. 

9 hours ago, Bas said:

Wait wait, these shorts are coming one after another? I short they were bundled in a package all together from the start.

On YouTube - which is the only official release in Canada, as far as I know - all of these specials were cut into weekly instalments. 

• Brohoof 1

• This topic was unpinned and unfeatured
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I had to watch it as part of applegeek's react. It is so difficult to find Equestria Girls videos compared to FIM. I think the special was okay. I like the breaking into school story, which had some really bad a*s montages.

It is sad to say good bye to Equestria Girls, after hating it from the start, and changing my mind. It has been a weird trip. I'll miss you, my Sunset Shimmer! :blush:

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2020 at 1:30 AM, Denim&Venöm said:

I just learned from the production team that the snowball fight seen was based off of the opening to Saving Private Ryan. 

Sounds about right!

Also, invite some staff over here, I am sure they would love this place! (don't, they would be so embarrassed!)

• 2 months later...
On 5/30/2020 at 7:30 PM, Denim&Venöm said:

I just learned from the production team that the snowball fight seen was based off of the opening to Saving Private Ryan. 

Saw that movie. It was Saving Private Ryan opening galore :D

• 4 months later...

that snowball scene :D best scene in the shorts so far

"Nobody calls Ticklefruit too silly!"

image.png.296f1e2586c742a6268147f2cc5ecd2b.png

Twilight the killjoy of breaking into schools :p

image.thumb.png.d5e927d4ac58a331a1884c72d0af48d0.png

Sunset meet sunrise :3 aww

image.png.6aa14613d41df9db86c005bf253354d2.png 

The beat's about to get... wild. I love it when they manage to do feisty-shy well!

image.thumb.png.c047eed423a8866fa1993735b65d8aad.png

Treating rhetorical questions as actual questions is the oldest nerd joke in the book, but Twi nails it here :D

image.thumb.png.3c4552711ce258e257100a0acfda61d7.png

Dirk Thistleweed asking to slather his singing parts. Rainbow Dash sums up my face rn.

image.png.aaeed0d8850fa634a9a2d52525f9b004.png

• 6 months later...

This special was a nice good bye to the Equestria Girls universe, it had funny moments and even though it had no bigger villain, the last photograph they took still felt like a nice closure.

I mean sure, i also would have preferred if they finally explained where the other Sunset is and if she can even stay in that world without breaking anything, but oh well. Otherwise this EQ thing might have gotten on for to long, who knows when the ending was planned. Maybe Hasbro just pulled the plug because it already went on for to long.

They had plenty of chances to wrap the story up and created just more and more filler. Its kind off their own fault in my opinion.