Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ranking the 2nd episodes

KH7672

Favorite Episode 2  

17 users have voted

1. 1. Which would be your favorite 2nd episode?

• Friendship is Magic Part 2 (Elements of Harmony) by Lauren Faust
    • Return of Harmony Part 2 by M.A. Larson
    • The Crystal Empire Part 2 by Meghan McCarthy
    • Princess Twilight Sparkle Part 2 by Meghan McCarthy
    • The Cutie Map Part 2 by Scott Sonneborn and M.A. Larson
    • The Crystalling Part 2 by Josh Haber
    • All Bottled Up by Joanna Lewis and Kristine Songco
    • School Daze Part 2 by Mike Vogal and Nicole Dubuc
    • The Beginning of the End Part 2 by Joanna Lewis and Kristine Songco

Well it's clear the unconventionalness of the ranking idea isn't too appealing but for those that do like the idea I'm just going to release this thread right away to not drag it out.

So with these second episodes how many of these took those expectations of Part 1 and fulfilled it or could even they themselves be a satisfying stand alone episode to compare to the one stand alone episode we have. It may also line up differently than how you ranked episode 1 or not. We'll see how things fair out.

1. The Crystalling Part 2- This is probably the most sudden displacement on my list but this comes entirely down to it's execution and that being the side of Starlight that was willing to change, to face her past and to give me a reason to care about her character. This is when I fell in love with her as a character. Plus the side stories with the Mane 6 are quite fun with dealing with the baby and the heart's shattering.

2. Return of Harmony Part 2- This goes down slightly for one reason and that's Discord losing some presence in this part. It's of course understandable and the Discorded versions of the Mane 6 for some nice comedy but it is much slower than the first was for me after Twilight brings them back.

3. All Bottled Up- The A plot story with Trixie and Starlight are what makes this episode a lot of fun as I've always been such a fan of this dynamic and it really helps to expound on their friendship more. As for the B plot while not as exciting I do have quite a soft spot for "Best Friends Until the End of Time" and it's saccharin treatment of the Mane 6 friendship versus the one in the A plot.

4. The Crystal Empire Part 2- This gets a litte boost because the stakes are felt much more by the cast especially Twilight as her journey to find the Crystal Heart leads to some interesting situations and above all has a fantastic supportive role by Spike leading to his big day saving moment.

5. The Cutie Map Part 2- This also goes down because of the lack of subtlety anymore and while Starlight is still a fun villain I just wish there was more of a solidified conclusion for her build up.

6. Friendship is Magic Part 2- This also goes down a bit for the interactions feeling a lot more linear. The journey while interesting is really not subtle about what it's building up to. Also Nightmare Moon never interested me much as a villain to begin with. I came to the show for the characters and luckily they hooked me, not so much for the antagonistic writing.

7. School Daze Part 2- This part improves greatly from the last for me all due to the sentiments of the school put into perspective thanks to the secondary characters, from Starlight's heart to heart with Twilight to expounding on the students and making them very likeable. Still it does have an unearned exuberance of confidence against Neighsay so that still feels unresolved and pushed aside so it's not perfect.

8. The Beginning of the End Part 2- This stays right where it was mostly because while Sombra did get more intimidating and more interesting plus getting to see the Mane 6 come together to save the day I've made my stance clear on the execution of Discord's involvement and that personal dissatisfaction is what keeps it where it it for me.

9. Princess Twilight Sparkle Part 2- Like I said the initial flashback was pointlessand while there is a nice lesson to Twilight about staying together showing that she still has much to learn. It's the fact that there never is much of a conclusion here. It's build up to the tree, build up to Discord's distrust, build up to the box. It's a season premiere of course but it just doesn't deliver on anything concrete unless you want to watch the rest of the season.

• Brohoof 2

i like return of harmony part 2 the most, all bottled up was also pretty entertaining

the one i liked the least was probably princess twilight sparkle part 2   *shrug*

• Brohoof 2

1. The Crystalling, Part 2 - This half focuses more on adventure and emotion than part 1, and I think it has a great payoff for Starlight’s and Sunburst’s insecurity. Even screw-ups like them can make a difference. 
  2. School Daze, Part 2 - The school is sort of an awkward idea, but I love that it serves here as a symbol of anti-racism, I find the student six immensely charming, and this part just generally has more momentum than part 1. Most of these premieres are very different from each other, but this one is especially refreshing.
  3. Friendship is Magic, Part 2 - No difference from part 1, though the details get slightly messier in this half.
  4. The Return of Harmony, Part 2 - Mostly no difference from part 1, but it’s weird to me how tacked-on the ending is. For all intents and purposes, the mane six lose in this episode. Discord defeated all six of them. It’s a really strange structural choice, and it makes the ending a bit less satisfying and the whole episode a bit darker than was probably intended. 
  5. The Crystal Empire, Part 2 - No change in opinion.
  6. The Cutie Map, Part 2 - My opinion on this half isn’t particularly different from the first half, but I still want to reward this for opening on such a bleak note. Dead silence, propaganda blaring, the mane six faded in colour and locked in a cell. Chilling.  
  7. The Beginning of the End, Part 2 - No change in opinion.
  8. All Bottled Up - This episode is annoying, and it really serves to make Starlight look dangerously unstable yet again, undermining her alleged graduation. 
  9. Princess Twilight Sparkle, Part 2 - Basically the same opinion as part one, plus this doubles down on one of the weirder implications of the series by showing Twilight’s cutie mark on the tree. Kinda makes it seem like Twilight has no control over her fate, as this show has always been bad at defining the relationship between destiny and free will.
  • Brohoof 2

No serious changes from part 1

1. The beginning of the end part 2- continues what part 1 did equally good.
  2. The cutie map part 2- the second part living up to my expectations.
  3. The return of harmony part 2- discorded main six were really entertaining.
  4. The crystal empire part 2- if not for that song reprise it would have been number 3.
  5. All bottled up- a starlight and trixie episode is always a good thing.
  6. Princes twilight sparkle part 2- same as part 1.
  7. The crystalling part 2- slightly better then part 1. 
  8. School daze part 2- same as part 1
  9. Friendship is magic part 2- I did not like it, my least favorite part in any premier or finale. It was not bad but really disappointing.
  • Brohoof 1

In general, I like how the second episode is where the action tend to happen after the setup in the first part.Honestly, I never been one for rank episodes higher that others.  they fall into "episode I would watch over and over" to "episodes that are completely forgettable" and everything in between. 

I'm just glad that it all worked out at the end of each 2 parter. And because it's at the start of the season, that's when it's best to set up a potential story arc to play out throughout the season.

Which is why Princess Twilight sparkle part 2 right now I consider a great set-up that gets a big payoff by the end of the season. However it's not necessarily my favorite so let me get back to you on the vote.

Friendship is Magic always has and always will be my favorite episode of all time. Great introduction to the characters, fantastic character development, well-written story and plot, and a dramatic climax that really sold the show. If this episode were a dud, I think I would have never watched the show again, let alone join this fandom. Thankfully, it hit home. This series may have had its ups and downs, but I am forever grateful for becoming a part of this forum and fandom, and for making so many great friends. Thank you, Laurent Faust! :D 

• Brohoof 2

Can’t really think of significant changes from last thread. Tho the second parts moments like Spike saving the day in Crystal Empire, Twilight rereading the letters in Return of Harmony and Discord still being awesome. And Friendship is Magic for starting everything Ect are all worthy of praise.

also since it’s new I like All Bottled up for Trixie and Starlight’s amazing dynamic the cute song and a great moral about bottling up your emotions.

• Brohoof 3

• 1 year later...

Will be copy + pasting most of my thoughts from the ranking first episodes thread.

A bit hard to judge episodes that are in halves in comparison to full ones.

1. The Cutie Map Part 2 (S5) - Such an amazing episode. It doesn't need a big bad monster to be effective at conveying something sinister. There's just this level of uncertainty that makes this episode so intriguing.
  2. Return of Harmony Part 2 (S2) - This was the point where I realised that the show could have more dynamic stories with really interesting villains. Discord at his best, in my opinion.
  3. All Bottled Up (S7) - Fun Starlight/Trixie episode. Like I said, it's harder to rank a standard slice of life episode alongside the bigger premieres.
  4. The Beginning of the End Part 2 (S9) - King Sombra stole the show here. He was just defeated way too easily.
  5. The Crystal Empire Part 2 (S3) - Probably in the minority here, but I l liked this one.
  6. Friendship is Magic Part 2 (S1) - Fine, but I like Part 1 a lot more than this. I know it's the second half of the pilot, but this was way too by the numbers.
  7. Princess Twilight Sparkle Part 2 (S4) - Wasn't huge on this one. The idea of Twilight coming to terms with being an Alicorn is fine, but this was pretty underwhelming aside from that.
  8. The Crystalling Part 2 (S6) - It's okay. Starlight was the best part of the episode.
  9. School Daze Part 2 (S8) - It's okay.

My list would be this. I think Cuti Map and Return of Harmony are the best episodes from the 2nd spots of all the seasons. 

1. The Cutie Map Part 2 
  2. Return of Harmony Part 2
  3. All Bottled Up
  4. The Beginning of the End Part 2 
  5. Friendship is Magic Part 2
  6. Princess Twilight Sparkle Part 2
  7. The Crystal Empire Part 2 
  8. The Crystalling Part 2
  9. School Daze Part 2

• 7 months later...

1. The Beginning of the End - Part 2
2. All Bottled Up