Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Top 3 worst season finales/premieres

Hulvlan01cl

1. Magical Mystery Cure

latest?cb=20130217101859

Yep, that's one controversial! Episode is good itself, it has best songs in the show, interesting idea (switching mane 6 cutie marks) and touching moment (in Celestia's ballad), but it wasn't character development we needed... Twilight doesn't needed wings or princess title at all (twilight will not outlive her friends btw), she could become friendship ambassador and teach friendship around Equestria and further (just like she did in all her cutie map episodes), and then become the ruler of all Equestria, because she is able to reunite everyone against main antagonists. But noooo, they gave her a wings, then they made whole season to give her a castle and etc.

2. School daze pt.1/School daze pt. 2

THIS explains whole "school of friendship" idea

Diu_RebXUAEZF2Z.jpg

I can't imagine mane 6 as school teachers. I just can't. I left a fandom after I saw leak with "school of friendship" back in 2016-2017. 

Of course unite all species once and for all  is a good idea, but like that? That's a nonsense. You need to teach friendship to all species to success, you should fix their internal struggles first, and ponies should meet their culture too, you're not just choosing 5 random kids, sending them to Ponyville and fixing everything by that! New 6 is a bad idea, just because there is more than 6 races in Equestria.

Antagonist is pretty weak too, Neighsay didn't even felt like antagonist, he is just reasonable, he tried to save us from this bad idea

.latest?cb=20180326064304

*school of friendship is disapproved*

3. The Crystalling - Part 1/The Crystalling - Part 2

This

latest?cb=20160327170102

And this

latest?cb=20160328021914

is one of the worst ways to make mlp premiere

Cadence and Shining finally have a baby, Twi is an aunt now, Starlight and Sunburst are reuniting... If it wasn't a premiere, it could be one of the cutest mlp episodes ever! But it was a premier, we needed a threat to the world, so... 

Cadence and Shining Armor's child is an alicorn! (why Hasbro why why why WHY :glimmer:) And she just broke crystal heart with her cry! And now crystal empire is doomed because citizens will be froze to death! Whole s6 premier issue is not an antagonist, but annoying Mary sue child, yup. 4.

IMHO:

1. Magical Mystery Cure (Legit dumpster fire)

2. The Crystalling (If you want to reference the Shining, don't take a p*$$ on it please)

3. School Raze (My opinion of this has actually soured quite a bit since I initially watched it. Now it's just straight up bad IMO).

Edited by Ayyngel Dust
  • Brohoof 1

1. The Cutie Map: Has the worst introduction to any villain in the series, with Starlight being thrown into the series as an instant overpowered Mary Sue despite having a standard as hell design and making the Mane 6 completely worthless, something she'll technically do again in the next season. I hated the "town" and its inhabitants, they were boring (intentionally so but it made me not care), the mane 6 were boring, and the ending was so anti-climactic.

2. The Cutie Re-Mark: For my money, you can swap these first two around and it would be equally as valid to me. This finale, of course, continues the adventures of Mary Sue Glimmer, once again making random new shit up for the purpose of making Starlight look incredibly powerful without any proper justification. All of a sudden she can "fly" with magic alone and the back and forth between her and Twilight was so tedious and went nowhere. Starlight's arrogance was always on full display which only made me hate her more. The alternate timelines were predictable and not interesting, even if it did give us some interesting designs. Then it ends with Starlight being forgiven immediately after wanting to alter time and space for one of the most petty reasons imaginable. Oh, and the others in the mane 6 were useless here too. Wowee. It is because of these two episodes that it took me so long to actually think Starlight was "alright".

3. To Where and Back Again: You might be noticing a theme here, but Starlight isn't the worst thing about this one, but rather the conveniences made for her. In fact her character is alright here and there are legit things I like about this finale. What brings it down drastically is the massive, MASSIVE plot hole of the mane 6 AND the other princesses being captured with apparently zero resistance as if they were literally nothing. This is what hurts Starlight in the episode. Not her character or being overpowered, but the episode making contrived conveniences to give her the spotlight. The season 7 finale will later do the exact same thing and honestly it probably deserves to be here instead. It is a tough choice. Still, making really convenient excuses for the sake of one character that already hasn't made the best impressions thus far (to me) isn't exactly the best idea.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Hulvlan01cl said:

@Kyoshi You hated Starlight in the past? Because this whole top 3 is about Starlight.

Yes and my first two choices are main reasons why I hated her for so long. These days I "tolerate" her and not much else. The third one is there mostly because of the huge plot conveniences that were made to make it happen in the first place.

1) To Where and Back Again - shits on virtually everyone else just so the writers can masturbate to Starlight. And since then it feels like every finale after has tried do to do something similar or addressing a major complaint ((Shadow Play being another Starlight focus finale without the expense of the mane 6, School Raze with the Mane getting trapped in Tartarus so the Student Six can be the heroes)

2) Cutie Re-mark - worst redemption in the series, among the sea of bullshit. The episode seemed more obsessed about showing off edgy alternate futures despite trying to claim otherwise 

3) I’m really tempted to say The End Of The End/The Last Problem both purely out of spite for S9 and because I hate every major thing that happens in both, including one of the worst twists ever. But seeing as I have yet to actually watch it(and I don’t ever intend on watching it), I can’t on a good conscious put it here. I’ll be generous and give it to School Daze, for introducing the School of Friendship, which is still the worst idea in the series and actively responsible for some of series lowest points 

Edited by Kiryu-Chan

1. To Where and Back Again. The only bad finale. I already stated the problems at nauseum in the past, so I'll abbreviate it. Discord wouldn't give a damn of the RM7's and royalty's capture had FS not be one of Chryssie's victims. The reformation of the changelings is extremely quick, and Thorax's path to succeeding Chryssie occurred offscreen. Starlight rejecting Twilight and company for Trixie (as "she's her bestest friend") is out of character. SG's path to prove she changed lacks any weight. It took QC's whole army to defeat the Mane Six, but their ability to capture every single mane character and royalty happened so quickly; this form of plot armor is the biggest plot hole of the whole show and completely destroys the story.
  2. The Crystal Empire. The only bad premiere. The main reason? Hinging the whole plot on Celestia treating thousands of reborn lives as a means to an end to see if Twilight can rule and defend an empire. From that point forward, Twilight's ability to pass this immoral test above is treated more importantly than protecting the kingdom.
  3. A Canterlot Wedding. I love this finale, but objectively, it's average at best. This episode's first half retreads Lesson Zero's key plot point: the RM5 not treating Twilight's fears so seriously. Despite "Cadance" being snooty, rude, and suspicious, nobody suspected a thing. Twilight's brazen action to embarrass "Cadance" as evil was wrong, but merited, as she treated Shining Armor poorly. The audience is supposed to buy TS's and SA's relationship, but because she made no mention or hint of him at all, their connection lacks weight. At her debut, the real Cadance was one of the flattest and dullest characters, and it took her being a mom four seasons later for her to improve. Their "relationship" is dull, confined to exposition, and a really hard sell. QC's design is menacing (and how she treated Shining has very disturbing implications), yet her plan to trap Twilight in the same cave as Cadance is colossally stupid.
  • Brohoof 1

Even though my top 2 premieres\ finales are the premiers of seasons 9 and 5, my least favorite are also premieres(it seems the finales were more consistent while the premieres have higher calibers and lower ones too).

3) Friendship is magic- (7\10) part 1 was good but the second was less so. I understand that thats an introduction episode and have to handle all characters introductions and have a good plot, but the test felt a bit forced and it was too silly to me. I like this episode but its definitely one of my least favorite premieres and finales.

2) The crystalling- (6.5\10) I still question why in the hell did they make the baby an alicorn?! Its my(and its power) my main problem with the episode, the rest is pretty good.

1) School daze- (5.5\10) Easily the worst premiere\finale in the show. The school should have included more creatures from other races, I mwan how can you teach friendship? the idea is not well backed however I would say that uniting all the other races together was a great idea and later paid of. The episode itself is still disappointing.

I don't hate any of them, even school daze is decent(ish) in my book.

1. School Daze (season 8 premiere) - I don't think the school was a good idea. The first time through, I was mildly intrigued because I assumed the Young Six would parallel the Mane 6 over the course of that season, and then...they don't really. So, every pass since then, if I even bother (season 8 is my least favorite), I'm mostly annoyed and bored with this premiere. There's little action, the Young Six characters aren't especially interesting to me, and Starlight is the ONLY one of Twilight's friends able to get through to her.

2. The Beginning of the End (season 9 premiere) - I don't like the idea of Twilight ruling Equestria and this episode does nothing to convince me otherwise. She and her friends already do a lot for Equestria and if The Royal Problem is anything to go by, this is actually a step down. Having now seen the entirety of season 9, my stance on that remains. They get to do way more cool stuff way more often, together, and they are all happy to do it too. I'm not really a fan of just randomly killing off the Tree of Harmony and the Elements either. I hate the title too.

3. To Where and Back Again (season 6 finale) - Where are my girls? They spend most of this finale kidnapped and unconscious.

1. School Raze- Cozy's plan makes no sense, the mane six do nothing yet get a whole subplot dedicated to them, the story is insanely contrived, and the student six are boring

2. Shadow Play- A victim of season 7's horrible handling of the pillars arc. Only one of the pillars has any kind of personality and most of them do nothing for most of the episode. And the pony of shadows is one of the worst villains since he does nothing for most of the episode and is yet another bad redemption

3. Princess Twilight Sparkle- This episode is filler. Nobody changes and barely anything happens.

1) "The Cutie Re-Mark". Just a mess. Probably the only two-part episode that I just don't really like.

2) "Shadow Play". One of Twilight's dumbest appearances to date, Starswirl is unlikable, and it just kind of feels redundant and full of missed opportunity.

3) "The Crystalling". Yeah, who cares about this episode? I mean, other than Flurry Heart being born, nothing comes out of it. Compared to all the other premiers and finales, it's so unmemorable.

This opinion is open to change. I also think that "Friendship is Magic", "Magical Mystery Cure" and "School Daze" are all pretty problematic respectively.

Edited by Rarity the Superior
  • Brohoof 2

8 hours ago, Rarity the Superior said:

1) "The Cutie Re-Mark". Just a mess. Probably the only two-part episode that I just don't really like.

2) "Shadow Play". One of Twilight's dumbest appearances to date, Starswirl is unlikable, and it just kind of feels redundant and full of missed opportunity.

3) "The Crystalling". Yeah, who cares about this episode? I mean, other than Flurry Heart being born, nothing comes out of it. Compared to all the other premiers and finales, it's so unmemorable.

This opinion is open to change. I also think that "Friendship is Magic", "Magical Mystery Cure" and "School Daze" are all pretty problematic respectively.

I always liked The Crystalling for the Starlight stuff (shrug)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2019 at 7:17 PM, gingerninja666 said:

I always liked The Crystalling for the Starlight stuff (shrug)

I mean, I agree that it's the best part of the episode, but at the end of the day, it doesn't really enhance anything. And Sunburst being a fraud was always a plot point that I felt totally ambivalent towards. Not to mention, I just find Starlight's reformation to be really rushed at the beginning, and it's something that this episode inherits from "The Cutie Re-Mark". Besides, Starlight being regretful for her past actions is a theme that would be done better in later episodes. Plus, it just has nothing to do with the main conflict until the very end of the episode.

Edited by Rarity the Superior

1. Magic and Mysterious Cure
2. Princess Twilight Sparkle
3. The kingdom of Twilight.

Yes, my problem is with Twilight, I think it is a terribly overrated character, how the hell did it go from being a bitter nerd to a pony princess?

Now, my worst season finale is The Last Problem, it does nothing but put Twilight as a deity, when she's still the same boring pony.

I could also tell you that I have a problem with The Cutie Map, where Mane Six goes to a village where they were not invited and ruin Starlight's life, and they are immediately seen as heroines.

Edited by frida
  • Brohoof 1

On 11/20/2019 at 8:43 AM, Jane said:

I could also tell you that I have a problem with The Cutie Map, where Mane Six goes to a village where they were not invited and ruin Starlight's life, and they are immediately seen as heroines.

Funny, had they not, Starlight wouldn't even been a thing. And the ponies in Starlight's town were happier when the Mane Six did intrude.

1. School Daze
  2. The Best Night Ever
  3. Celestial Advice

I think these are the ones. They are not bad, but I enjoyed them less. However, School Daze just was not worth the wait and the hype. 

On 11/20/2019 at 10:43 AM, Jane said:

how the hell did it go from being a bitter nerd to a pony princess?

‘Cause she worked hard to get where she came from to where she ended up becoming. In the pilot, she didn’t take friendship seriously. Two seasons later, she successfully defended an empire from a terrifying, looming foe and then fixed a magical problem that she accidentally created. Season 9 proved she’s ready to succeed Celestia and Luna as Equestria’s de facto princess.

On 11/20/2019 at 10:43 AM, Jane said:

They absolutely earned their heralded status. Starlight brainwashed an entire group of ponies (some with families), suppressed their talents, and ruled the town authoritatively. Nobody was allowed freedom of expression, disagreement, or creativity. They successfully outed Starlight’s hypocrisy, chased her away, and helped free Our Town from her oppression.

9 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

‘Cause she worked hard to get where she came from to where she ended up becoming. In the pilot, she didn’t take friendship seriously. Two seasons later, she successfully defended an empire from a terrifying, looming foe and then fixed a magical problem that she accidentally created. Season 9 proved she’s ready to succeed Celestia and Luna as Equestria’s de facto princess.

well, for me, she is still the same boring pony-

13 hours ago, Jane said:

well, for me, she is still the same boring pony-

Your opinion of her doesn't change the fact that she accomplished a lot in the nine seasons of this show, including transforming the landscape of Equestria and beyond for the better. She earned her right as a princess and then the princess.

16 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Your opinion of her doesn't change the fact that she accomplished a lot in the nine seasons of this show, including transforming the landscape of Equestria and beyond for the better. She earned her right as a princess and then the princess.

Do you forget the fact that she didn't do it alone? Pinkie was the one who made a relationship between the Yaks and Equestria. Spike was the one who created a bond between dragons and ponies, Starlight created a connection between changers and ponies, Fluttershy was the one who reformed the discord while Twilight kept complaining about him during the other six seasons, Pinkie was the one who created a bond between hippogriffs and ponies while Twilight stole a primordial pearl for the survival of seaponies. Is that a good character? Twilight did nothing at all to improve Equestria, but everyone credits her because she is the princess of '' friendship ''

12 hours ago, Jane said:

Do you forget the fact that she didn't do it alone?

Not at all. Twilight needed her friends, and she’s the leader of the group. Everyone brought the tribes together. Under Twilight’s leadership as princess, she (with Spike and friends) maintains harmony across and beyond Equestria. They trusted her to lead and maintain a crucial international bond; she kept her promise.

12 hours ago, Jane said:

Fluttershy was the one who reformed the discord while Twilight kept complaining about him during the other six seasons

Twilight had every right not got trust him for a long, long time.

1. While he successfully made her friends kneel very quickly, he slowly broke her spirits, temporarily disengaging herself from the Magic of Friendship.
  2. Discord betrayed her friends’ trust, aligning himself with Tirek.
  3. Twice, he played really cruel mind games to “test” her. The first time, he feigned illness to trick her and Cadance and nearly got eaten by a carnivorous plant. In WAD?, he admitted to intentionally setting up the problem, nullifying the moral.
  4. When she felt all the more confident she can lead Equestria, he admitted to setting up Season 9’s whole arc. She felt manipulated by him and terrified that the villains will conquer Equestria.
12 hours ago, Jane said:

while Twilight stole a primordial pearl for the survival of seaponies.

She was dead wrong for this, but her actions were completely understandable. All adventure long, her friends became distracted and sometimes didn’t take the terror back home seriously. As princess, she’s responsible for keeping everyone safe. In Seaquestria, Queen Novo rejected Twilight’s pleas for help, resulting in her desperate act. If no one she loves is doing it, then she must do it all herself.

12 hours ago, Jane said:

Is that a good character?

One billion percent. She has her strengths, flaws, quirks, and trials. Twilight’s a good character because the whole package makes her one.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

On 11/8/2019 at 10:10 AM, Rushing cash said:

2) The crystalling- (6.5\10) I still question why in the hell did they make the baby an alicorn?! Its my(and its power) my main problem with the episode, the rest is pretty good.

To sell toys. It's the exact same reason they introduced the TCE, Equestria Girls and the Student Six's useless treehouse. 

On 11/20/2019 at 3:43 PM, Jane said:

It ain't the Mane Six's fault that Starlight's philosophy was pathetic. 

On 12/7/2019 at 2:22 PM, RulesofRarity said:

It ain't the Mane Six's fault that Starlight's philosophy was pathetic.

Sorry, but I don't go to Asian countries and I shout how pathetic their cultures are in the middle of the street, it's called respect for other cultures, something you probably never heard.