CloudMistDragon

Web Youtube Admits That They May Now Ban Accounts That They Deem Not "Commercially Viable"

On 11/8/2019 at 6:57 PM, Splashee said:

Anyone saw this coming back in 2013?

Come on, anyone except me?

I thought about something like this ; I didn't think they'd be stupid enough to do it tho

Badges

1 hour ago, Splashee said:

Please don't ban me Markiplier!

Seriously, that is crazy. I know Youtube and Google are evil, but this is public disaster.

Oopps, I forgot to mention that it wasn't Markiplier that banned those in the livestream, it was YouTube's automated banning system that did it. Markiplier is the one trying to get them unbanned because he feels responsible for the banning. I think he asked them to answer his questions in emotes on the livestream, that's why he feels responsible.

But yes, it is a disaster, and YouTube doesn't seem to care at all about it.

Edited by EpicEnergy

On 11/8/2019 at 11:57 AM, Splashee said:

Anyone saw this coming back in 2013?

Come on, anyone except me?

Pretty much. Maybe not this specifically, but yeah, the problems with Youtube have really been piling up over the years.

I've been saying it and I'll keep saying it: YouTube is just begging to be defeated by a superior competitor. I'm not sure what makes YouTube so popular besides it being part of Google and being easily available on most smart technology, and I don't understand why other similar websites haven't caught on in popularity. But one day, when people are fed up enough with it, a new video-sharing website will appear that will put YouTube to shame. It'll put content creators and communities first, it won't throw some of their biggest contributors under the bus, it won't be slave to Hollywood or any broken flagging systems, etc. It'll be the service we actually want, and millions of people will leave YouTube when their favorite YouTubers and content creators start to champion the new website and tell all of their followers to go there from now on. All of this will happen some day if YouTube doesn't change for the better.

I've seen some YouTubers either joke about or actually put some of their content on P***hub, not because the video is actually NSFW, but because YouTube is just that strict with their rules and policies. If it's gotten that bad, then you know YouTube has messed up.

Edited by Samurai Equine

Badges

5 hours ago, EpicEnergy said:

Oopps, I forgot to mention that it wasn't Markiplier that banned those in the livestream, it was YouTube's automated banning system that did it. Markiplier is the one trying to get them unbanned because he feels responsible for the banning. I think he asked them to answer his questions in emotes on the livestream, that's why he feels responsible.

But yes, it is a disaster, and YouTube doesn't seem to care at all about it.

I actually watched the entire video @EpicEnergy. I have always liked when popular people on Youtube talks out about the problems with their "employer". It's the biggest drama! And quite unpredictable. Very entertaining.

So I understood it well, I am just joking about Markiplier because it is fun.

1 hour ago, Samurai Equine said:

Pretty much. Maybe not this specifically, but yeah, the problems with Youtube have really been piling up over the years.

I've been saying it and I'll keep saying it: YouTube is just begging to be defeated by a superior competitor. I'm not sure what makes YouTube so popular besides it being part of Google and being easily available on most smart technology, and I don't understand why other similar websites haven't caught on in popularity. But one day, when people are fed up enough with it, a new video-sharing website will appear that will put YouTube to shame. It'll put content creators and communities first, it won't throw some of their biggest contributors under the bus, it won't be slave to Hollywood or any broken flagging systems, etc. It'll be the service we actually want, and millions of people will leave YouTube when their favorite YouTubers and content creators start to champion the new website and tell all of their followers to go there from now on. All of this will happen some day if YouTube doesn't change for the better.

I've seen some YouTubers either joke about or actually put some of their content on P***hub, not because the video is actually NSFW, but because YouTube is just that strict with their rules and policies. If it's gotten that bad, then you know YouTube has messed up.

So why is Youtube so popular? It's a good question since it was popular even before Google took over and slowly converted it to what it is trying to be today.

I would rather see Google creating a different more Television based site service instead of destroying the core Youtube (making anyone broadcast, no matter the money put into it).

Badges

On 11/9/2019 at 4:16 AM, CloudMistDragon said:

Contrary to popular misconception, they are a public forum, not a publisher.

According to which legal practitioner? Youtube did describe themselves as a "public forum" but that doesn't mean they legally are one. They're still a private company that can control whatever content they want on the platform. 

I don't like Youtube's biased censorship and content moderation as much as the next person, but at the end of the day they're a private company. There's not much you can do. Even with a strained reading of the Pruneyard and Packingham cases, it's not possible to legally define Youtube, Google, or other social media companies as state actors, and therefore it's impossible to define their platforms as public forums.

Edited by Charlie