Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Pillars...

Sepul-Coloratura

Did anyone felt that the battle between the Pillars and Tirek was kinda pathetic and ironocally laughable? I don't want to be too harsh on the show, but it was very underwhelming and spoiled the serious tone of the finale. The directing was somewhat off. Probably the biggest flaw of the finale next to Discord's reasoning on impersonsting Grogar. Come to think of this, the pillars were represented underwhelmingly in the whole show in general.

What do you think of all this?

• Brohoof 3

The Pillars and also the Royal Sisters really got the short end of the stick in the finale. Everyone else got some really cool moments, the Mane Six and Spike, Starlight, and especially the villainous trio all got some really awesome stuff, but the sisters just get immediately drained of their magic by Cozy and the Pillars don't even put up any fight against Tirek at all. Which is weird because the Mane Six+Spike manage to take on all three of them together later, and Starlight probably would have beat Chrysalis all on her own if it weren't for her having the Bell magic. I think for me the Royal Sisters defeat stings a little more though, because I'm more attached to them, and because they always get the short end of the stick and this was their last chance to get a moment of awesome and they didn't.

I know they only have limited time, so animating more full fight scenes would take away more time from other stuff, but it's still sad to see. Kind of makes me wish it was a three-parter honestly.

Edited by BastementSparkle
  • Brohoof 1

I mean, the writers threw the Pillars into the trash the moment they were introduced to bring in yet another 6 pack of new characters. That's kind of a dead giveaway on how they feel about them

Spoiler

In the leaks they discussed the possibility of bringing them back in S9, for some asinine reason they specifically say they only wanted more Starswirl or Rockhoof, the only ones that constantly got screen time, instead of giving others a chance

Edited by Kiryu-Chan
  • Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

I mean, the writers threw the Pillars into the trash the moment they were introduced to bring in yet another 6 pack of new characters. That's kind of a dead giveaway on how they feel about them

Reveal hidden contents

In the leaks they discussed the possibility of bringing them back in S9, for some asinine reason they specifically say they only wanted more Starswirl or Rockhoof, the only ones they've done a lot, instead of giving others a chance

And the Student Six didn't even end up getting used that much either anymore, more than the Pillars sure, but after Season 8 they mostly just kinda stopped mattering. They only got like 2 episodes and a few more minor roles until the finale. One of the big issues with these later seasons is that they introduce so many new characters at such a late time, that even if they tried to give all of them proper development they'd never really be able to do so. It probably would have been smarter to either do only the Pillars or only the students, not both.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, BastementSparkle said:

The Pillars and also the Royal Sisters really got the short end of the stick in the finale. Everyone else got some really cool moments, the Mane Six and Spike, Starlight, and especially the villainous trio all got some really awesome stuff, but the sisters just get immediately drained of their magic by Cozy and the Pillars don't even put up any fight against Tirek at all. Which is weird because the Mane Six+Spike manage to take on all three of them together later, and Starlight probably would have beat Chrysalis all on her own if it weren't for her having the Bell magic. I think for me the Royal Sisters defeat stings a little more though, because I'm more attached to them, and because they always get the short end of the stick and this was their last chance to get a moment of awesome and they didn't.

I know they only have limited time, so animating more full fight scenes would take away more time from other stuff, but it's still sad to see. Kind of makes me wish it was a three-parter honestly.

I was pretty disappointed with what happened with Luna during the crisis there honestly.
Like I was hoping she got to do some pretty big in the finale since well.. the show started up with her story and her being the first villain as Nightmare Moon, they could have given her something in this finale to make it come full circle in a way. At least include her(and Celestia) in the final rainbow laser.(The more I think about that, the more it bugs me. The sisters wielded the elements in the past and their cutie marks were on the tree of harmony. Guess since they lost the ability to use the elements, they're chopped liver now. Just wished the sisters got included in the laser. At least Spike got included though, really glad on that part).
I just wished Luna got to do more in this one than just losing her magic and sort of distract the trio for the others to escape(even that is pretty overshadowed by how Starlight did pretty well against Chrysalis if I read that right).

• Brohoof 2

I'm surprised when Tirek drained Starswirl's magic, he didn't say, "This is for corrupting my brother!" Since Starswirl's friendship with Scorpan caused him to go against Tirek. At least it woulda given the chance for Scorpan to be alluded in the finale, and it would show that Tirek blames others for Scorpan's betrayal instead of him, showing he might care for him still!

• Brohoof 2

15 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

I'm surprised when Tirek drained Starswirl's magic, he didn't say, "This is for corrupting my brother!" Since Starswirl's friendship with Scorpan caused him to go against Tirek. At least it woulda given the chance for Scorpan to be alluded in the finale, and it would show that Tirek blames others for Scorpan's betrayal instead of him, showing he might care for him still!

I think that would kind of contradict Tirek's lines in the Season 4 finale, when he called Scorpan's amulet "As worthless as he is". Even if on some level Tirek still cares for him deep down, he clearly blames him for his betrayal.

• Brohoof 1

It was underwhelming, but I also noticed that when you look at the fights in order, the heroes actually do better and better each time in ascending order.

The Pillars were curbstomped by Tirek.

Starlight gets a hope spot against Chrysalis before being wrecked.

The Mane 6 beat Cozy and she needs to be saved by the other two.

I don't know if that means anything, but there at least seemed to be some kind of pattern to it.

Edited by gingerninja666
  • Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

Did anyone felt that the battle between the Pillars and Tirek was kinda pathetic and ironocally laughable? I don't want to be too harsh on the show, but it was very underwhelming and spoiled the serious tone of the finale. The directing was somewhat off. Probably the biggest flaw of the finale next to Discord's reasoning on impersonsting Grogar. Come to think of this, the pillars were represented underwhelmingly in the whole show in general.

What do you think of all this?

It was pretty pointless - kind of like they remembered they hadn't done anything with them this season and just threw it in.

My friends and some of my family think all of the Pillars characters has the power is same level with Gusty the Great in the past but now i know they are not stronger than Gusty when she can beat the real Grogar in the past but after the season 9 i understand there is no one can beat Grogar without Gusty the Great and her team so maybe that is why Hasbro replace him and characters like The Pillars,Mane 6,Starlight Glimmer,Discord,etc is not ready. That is just one Grogar's weapon and one from all of his power can made hard all creature to stop that, what happen if the real Grogar join that fight? of course they will desperately face it or maybe they will lose.