Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Pillars shouldn've returned and stayed

FlareGun45

With the Pillars story in the second half of season 7, I thought it was an interesting story opportunity! However, I don't think this story arc was executed well, and it feels like their arc was a waste. I understand them being the reason why the Tree of Harmony exists and how the Elements are reflections of their own Pillar magic, but were they REALLY needed?

The comics did a better job with the Pillars than the show did! Campfire Tales felt so rushed - we didn't get a good chance to learn enough about each Pillar! This shoulda been a full-season thing instead of just the second half. We woulda had more of a chance to get to know them. At least Daring Done and A Health of Info used their lore to reflect on the main story, and that was the best way to do it! 

Then of course the season 7 finale came around, Stygian got reformed, and then they stayed, but they never had a major role in a story arc again. All we got is Friendship University, Rockhoof in Hard Place, and then Starswirl had cameos here and there, and then they went out like weaklings in the series finale. WHY did they stay in the present time again? Feels like they didn't need to. Plus, even if Starswirl was around, he never even tried to find Scorpan, and bring him into the show. Scorpan at least had more reasons to show up than the Pillars.

Sometimes legends need to stay legends. Even if they turned up temporarily, staying was a bad idea. They were easily replaced by the Student 6 anyhow. Maybe the legends shoulda been spirits helping to defeat the Pony of Shadows, and help their souls be at ease by restoring their friendship! Then they can rest in peace! THAT sounds like a better story for the season 7 finale!

• Brohoof 3

I'd have been fine with this. I'm also fine with the Pillars returning like they did though, I just wish they got used more. The only ones who got any real attention were Starswirl and Rockhoof and even then not much. If we got more episodes in Season 8 and 9 featuring the various pillars and they actually got to put up a fight or play more of a role in the finale, I'd be pretty happy with them, they're cool characters and it's a shame to see them go to waste.

5 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

Honestly yeah they should’ve stayed legends. They didn’t really do much that was super important and Starswirl turned out to be really oblivious too.

Starswirl being the way he is actually makes sense though, one of the reasons his spell from the Season 3 finale didn't work was because he didn't really understand friendship, so it's not as if his attitude came out of nowhere.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
2 minutes ago, BastementSparkle said:

I'd have been fine with this. I'm also fine with the Pillars returning like they did though, I just wish they got used more. The only ones who got any real attention were Starswirl and Rockhoof and even then not much. If we got more episodes in Season 8 and 9 featuring the various pillars and they actually got to put up a fight or play more of a role in the finale, I'd be pretty happy with them, they're cool characters and it's a shame to see them go to waste.

Starswirl being the way he is actually makes sense though, one of the reasons his spell from the Season 3 finale didn't work was because he didn't really understand friendship, so it's not as if his attitude came out of nowhere.

Though if Starswirl didn't understand friendship, how did his friendship with Scorpan happen then? This show has great lore, but alot of it gets wasted!

Edited by FlareGun45

I had no problem with them staying. In fact them trying to adjust to modern times would have been fun. The problem was the writers abandoning them in favor of more new unnecessary characters. S8 should have done more with them. Hell when the school was announced I seriously thought it was gonna be run by the Pillars, or at the least they would have been teachers, with them passing their wisdom from their times to a new generation, which would have actually been more interesting

• Brohoof 4

The characters were very poorly used, that's true; as you said, they should have stayed legends, or something. But this is MLP we're talking about; of course they would take the route of bringing them into present days, and taking out any mystic feeling these characters held.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

I had no problem with them staying. In fact them trying to adjust to modern times would have been fun. The problem was the writers abandoning them in favor of more new unnecessary characters. S8 should have done more with them. Hell when the school was announced I seriously thought it was gonna be run by the Pillars, or at the least they would have been teachers, with them passing their wisdom from their times to a new generation, which would have actually been more interesting

That's true! That woulda been a great idea! 

6 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

Though if Starswirl didn't understand friendship, how did his friendship with Scorpan happen then? This show has great lore, but alot of it gets wasted!

Not understanding friendship very well doesn't necessarily mean you can't make any friends. It's not as if it's a black and white thing where you either fully understand it or you don't, there's a lot of grey in the middle and I'd assume that Starswirl was just in a darker grey area, he could make friends and understood the concept, but wasn't necessarily the most understanding of people, not like Twilight. We aren't really sure on how exactly the whole thing with Scorpan went down, we don't even really know what Scorpan is like.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, BastementSparkle said:

we don't even really know what Scorpan is like.

That's my biggest pet peeve with this show! A character filled with opportunities! I have an editorial coming tomorrow talking about it.

Hopefully he plays a big role in season 10!

1 minute ago, FlareGun45 said:

That's my biggest pet peeve with this show! A character filled with opportunities! I have an editorial coming tomorrow talking about it.

I'd prefer the Pillars or Students get more development personally, before even considering adding Scorpan onto the list. The series is already full of characters that don't get enough time to shine, I don't want to toss another onto the pile.

1 minute ago, FlareGun45 said:

tbf he was originally planned for the movie, he was the original bearer of the Staff of Sarcanas

image.png.e9172ccacce5a43836a286dbedaa254a.png

Right now I'm assuming it was either time constraints or reworking the script that forced them to cut him

Just like Grogar, I don't think they should have teased him so much

1 minute ago, BastementSparkle said:

I'd prefer the Pillars or Students get more development personally, before even considering adding Scorpan onto the list. The series is already full of characters that don't get enough time to shine, I don't want to toss another onto the pile.

1 minute ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

tbf he was originally planned for the movie, he was the original bearer of the Staff of Sarcanas

image.png.e9172ccacce5a43836a286dbedaa254a.png

Right now I'm assuming it was either time constraints or reworking the script that forced them to cut him

Just like Grogar, I don't think they should have teased him so much

His addition could really develop alota characters tho! Like, the Staff of Sacanas was said to be made from the Tree of Harmony. That's actually interesting because Tirek and Scorpan were BEFORE the Pillars' disappearance and the Tree! So how could Scorpan have a part of the Tree? Did he return a second time, or did he never leave and the princesses only think he left? This would add to the Pillars' story arc!

Also like I said, I got an editorial talking about him tomorrow!

• Brohoof 1

21 minutes ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

I feel like its a wasted opportunity for Luna.
Like they could have had her interact with the pillars and help them adjust into the modern day since she went through a similar situation(being gone for a 1000 years and returning to end up adjusting to how times have changed).
Or at least help Stygian.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, FlareGun45 said:

With the Pillars story in the second half of season 7, I thought it was an interesting story opportunity! However, I don't think this story arc was executed well, and it feels like their arc was a waste. I understand them being the reason why the Tree of Harmony exists and how the Elements are reflections of their own Pillar magic, but were they REALLY needed?

The comics did a better job with the Pillars than the show did! Campfire Tales felt so rushed - we didn't get a good chance to learn enough about each Pillar! This shoulda been a full-season thing instead of just the second half. We woulda had more of a chance to get to know them. At least Daring Done and A Health of Info used their lore to reflect on the main story, and that was the best way to do it! 

Then of course the season 7 finale came around, Stygian got reformed, and then they stayed, but they never had a major role in a story arc again. All we got is Friendship University, Rockhoof in Hard Place, and then Starswirl had cameos here and there, and then they went out like weaklings in the series finale. WHY did they stay in the present time again? Feels like they didn't need to. Plus, even if Starswirl was around, he never even tried to find Scorpan, and bring him into the show. Scorpan at least had more reasons to show up than the Pillars.

Sometimes legends need to stay legends. Even if they turned up temporarily, staying was a bad idea. They were easily replaced by the Student 6 anyhow. Maybe the legends shoulda been spirits helping to defeat the Pony of Shadows, and help their souls be at ease by restoring their friendship! Then they can rest in peace! THAT sounds like a better story for the season 7 finale!

Is there a reason having characters present offscreen in the setting is a bad thing? I mean, we already have the Royal Sisters and Discord not solving all of Equestria's problems - a band of mortal heroes shouldn't be an issue. And the show's toybox style favours introducing new elements in a way that leaves them usable for future writers. More could have been done witth them, and even though it wasn't, I wouldn't give up A Rockhoof and A Hard Place.

1 hour ago, FlareGun45 said:

I don't think that was ever confirmed, just implied.

• Brohoof 1

56 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

I don't think that was ever confirmed, just implied.

I really hope they get into Scorpan in the comics. He has SO MUCH story potential!

I got an editorial on EQD tomorrow if you wanna see it!

Tbh I was pretty disappointed Tirek didn’t mention Scorpan or have any personal connection with Starswirl. He essentially just steamrolled everyone like he would any other pony. Since Starswirl was the one that helped show Scorpan what friendship was and betrayed Tirek I thought it would have been cool for the fight. Much like how Chrysalis vendetta against Starlight made their encounter so personal 

• Brohoof 3

I was hoping for at least stygian to return, you know? Makes some amends or gain some character growth after his reformation.

Either they should have stayed and make some prominent and relevant episodes during season 8-9, or they should have sacrificed themselves to save Equestria once again in season 7 finale and give the Mane Six a lifelong lesson in the short time they have together.

Hasbro should have made up their mind and decided what to do with the characters more decisively instead of letting them die out and being pushed aside eventually.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

Either they should have stayed and make some prominent and relevant episodes during season 8-9, or they should have sacrificed themselves to save Equestria once again in season 7 finale and give the Mane Six a lifelong lesson in the short time they have together.

Hasbro should have made up their mind and decided what to do with the characters more decisively instead of letting them die out and being pushed aside eventually.

That's not how the "toybox" style works. You put pieces in play so that they can be picked up and used later. If they ultimately aren't, that's later's problem.

Yeah, I don't really care one way or the other. I agree that they could've amounted to more, but I wouldn't have them get any more spotlight in lieu of the Mane Six, Spike, Starlight, Discord, or even the Young Six, as I feel that, as a representation of the past, there wouldn't much possible in terms of growth or new stories other than them reacting to how the world has changed in their stead, which could only serve as the basis of one or two episodes. Perhaps they could've been used for a few, fun standalone episodes with characters outside of the group.

Edited by Rarity the Superior

4 hours ago, Latecomer said:

That's not how the "toybox" style works. You put pieces in play so that they can be picked up and used later. If they ultimately aren't, that's later's problem.

They did a good job at doing that in early seasons with the Mane Six though. They should have had a better considerations for the characters within the context of the story. The TV show is also a ptoduct and the characters sells if the story around them sells. The pillars were pretty big and expensive toys they put in the box. It's a shame that they only take up space.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

I don't think that The Pillars shouldn't have returned and stayed, but I was disappointed about some things about them.

1) For one, I wasn't expecting Starswirl to be arrogant and stubborn, and that kinda ruined his character for me in the season 7 finale. It makes sense, given that he was unable to complete the spell seen in the season 3 finale because he didn't know friendship like Twilight did, but it doesn't make up for how his character was in the season 7 finale. Starswirl did apologize and he stopped being arrogant and stubborn, but that doesn't remove the negative effects his behavior caused. He also seemed different from the other Pillars in that he was the only one who explicitly displayed negative behavior, which made his character and part of the plot in the season 7 finale seem contrived, as if the writers just forced Starswirl to exhibit negative behavior for the sake of plot convenience. Ultimately, I found Starswirl's initial character to be disappointing and I disliked it.

2) All The Pillars seemed reluctant to consider different options regarding how to deal with The Pony of Shadows. Thankfully Twilight didn't give up, but it was irritating that The Pillars were reluctant, especially Starswirl, to consider other options. I was expecting them to be more open to other options, since they are legendary heroes after all.

3) I disliked the fact that The Pillars got only a small amount of screen time after the season 7 finale, as I felt that their characters could have been explored deeper. I enjoyed their appearances in "Friendship University" and "A Rockhoof and a Hard Place", but those only focused mainly on Starswirl and Rockhoof, and didn't really delve into the other Pillars.

Despite the disappointing aspects of The Pillars, there was also aspects that I enjoyed.

1) I enjoyed the stories of The Pillars and the build-up to the season 7 finale. The stories and the overarching plotline of the second half of season 7 were both interesting, and made the finale enjoyable as well.

2) Stygian's character, backstory, and redemption was fascinating.

3) Rockhoof's dilemma in "A Rockhoof and a Hard Place" was relatable and did well in building on his character.

Ultimately, I think the main problem about The Pillars is that the season 7 finale did not turn out well for them, and post season 7 finale they just didn't have enough screen time to make up for what happened (excluding Rockhoof though, since he had his own episode).

18 hours ago, FlareGun45 said:

All we got is Friendship University, Rockhoof in Hard Place, and then Starswirl had cameos here and there

That's what I think is one of the main problems, The Pillars were added, didn't do well in the season 7 finale, and didn't get enough appearances afterwards.

18 hours ago, FlareGun45 said:

they went out like weaklings in the series finale

Actually, Tirek had part of the power that was in Grogar's bell. That power was split in three, yet whatever that power was, it was potent enough to give a little filly alicorn power and to give Chrysalis enough power for her to remain unaffected by a heavy avalanche burying her. It would then be reasonable to assume that Tirek would have enough power for The Pillars' magic to be ineffective and for him to easily defeat them.

18 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

They didn’t really do much that was super important and Starswirl turned out to be really oblivious too

I completely agree with you. All they did was hinder Twilight in the season 7 finale. They might have helped fight against The Pony of Shadows, but their efforts are kinda ruined in the end because The Pony of Shadows was their fault. And yes, I also completely agree with you about Starswirl.

18 hours ago, BastementSparkle said:

they're cool characters and it's a shame to see them go to waste

I feel the same way as well, I honestly was expecting more out of The Pillars after the finale.

• Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

They did a good job at doing that in early seasons with the Mane Six though. They should have had a better considerations for the characters within the context of the story. The TV show is also a ptoduct and the characters sells if the story around them sells. The pillars were pretty big and expensive toys they put in the box. It's a shame that they only take up space.

But... they don't. How does them existing beyond Season 7 weaken the show in any way?