Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have You Ever Hit a Deer with Your Car?

EpicEnergy

Thankfully I haven't, but I sure have gotten close. I know of someone who has though, and my dad's also gotten extremely close to hitting them before.

Edited by EpicEnergy
  • Brohoof 1

Woe upon the one who does, or has. The deer in most cases does far more damage to you than you do to it.

Not a pleasant sight.

• Brohoof 2

I don't have a car. But being a passenger while hitting a bicycling man...... is very very scary and chocking. He was okay afterwards (let's say, okay with pain).

Hitting a moose is the biggest nightmare here. That would be Game Over, to keep this a nice conversation. :lie:

I have and so has a buddy of mine coming back from a road trip with me ridding shot gun 

my first deer gave my a heck of a shock, it always is as no matter how many times no matter who you are, it was a split second moment while coming home from work one night as i didnt know if the deer survived or not once i steped out of the car. A nearby car saw and checked how i was which helped nervs. 

The time my buddy and i were coming back from dnd it happend to be two big fat deer taking up the entier road, my buddy driveing a new sports car too had two choices, ditch or deer. 

As you can tell the deer was the better opction as im still living and breathing to talk about it, his reaction was simuler to mine save my motter mouth didnt help things calm down. 

So the lesson would be hope you never do but if so hitting the deer at 60+ could actualy be safer then swerving to miss it and flip in a ditch. 

3 hours ago, Splashee said:

I don't have a car. But being a passenger while hitting a bicycling man...... is very very scary and chocking. He was okay afterwards (let's say, okay with pain).

I had the very exact experience once; my mom was driving

• Brohoof 1

20 minutes ago, Xeltor said:

I had the very exact experience once; my mom was driving

Sadly, that was the case for me as well :(

For our case, the bicycling guy didn't stop before he crossed the road we were driving into, and there was another car blocking the view. On the other side of things, the crossing is very accident-prone and there are no warning signs about anything. The police even had to stop a new bicycle when were were leaving the scene, because that one would have gotten hit as well.

1 minute ago, Splashee said:

Sadly, that was the case for me as well :(

For our case, the bicycling guy didn't stop before he crossed the road we were driving into, and there was another car blocking the view. On the other side of things, the crossing is very accident-prone and there are no warning signs about anything. The police even had to stop a new bicycle when were were leaving the scene, because that one would have gotten hit as well.

Looks like a bad experience *pats on back*

Our cyclist was a child, fortunately we weren't going fast and just hit his front wheel (the little rascal was playing in the middle of the road, without protection, or anything :unamused: )

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Splashee said:

Ouch!!! Nooo, that's really scary. :(

I mean he wasn't really hurt that badly, he didn't have to go to the hospital or anything, he was quite alright :P But the experience wasn't great yes

• Brohoof 1

I've had a deer run into *me* once. I was driving relatively slow on a rough gravel road when it came up beside my car, keeping pace. I thought to myself, "Okay, as long as I don't slow down so it gets in front of me, I can't hit it. We're all fine here." No rack on it, so it's not the season for it to do anything...

It suddenly deeked to one side and rammed the passenger side front fender. Fairly significant dent, preventing the door from opening. Looking back, the deer was gone. It either bounced off and was laying somewhere I couldn't see it, or it ran off while I was getting control of the car back. Was not going to stop and have a look-see, as a deer willing to ram a car was perfectly willing to ram me, and no matter how big I am a mature white-tail would *hurt*.

7 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

Woe upon the one who does, or has. The deer in most cases does far more damage to you than you do to it.

The car is trashed but the deer usually dies. 

I've never done it but my parents did recently. They were three hours from home without a car.

While I have never hit a deer, I have accidentally run over a skunk that was walking across the road at night. By the time I noticed what it was, all I could do was move my car to the left or right slightly. I was hoping the skunk would go right underneath the middle of my car but I ended up hitting it. I felt...awful. For the rest of the way home, I had my hand over my mouth in shock. That was the first animal I had ever hit and I still feel bad.

• 2 years later...

I’ve had a few almost so. Due to them hopping out in front of my car and me slamming on my breaks. But luckily I’ve not hit any and I don’t plan on ever hitting any.