• Dance Magic
    • Movie Magic
    • Mirror Magic
    • Forgotten Friendship
    • Rollercoaster of Friendship
    • Spring Breakdown
    • Sunset's Backstage Pass
    • Holidays Unwrapped

So after watching all of the Equestria Girls movies and specials, I have come to the following conclusion: Why on earth did I avoid watching EqG like the plague for such a long time? x3

Maybe it was something along the lines of the usual 4chan meme of "but no hooves tho", but something about EqG when it first came out really steered me away from it.

Anyway, to get back on topic: What is everyone's favorite piece of media from the sub-series? As I have yet to see all the shorts / YouTube things, I'm not including them, as its unfair for me to make a judgement on something I haven't even seen.

IMO, the best movie in terms of well...being a movie is Rainbow Rocks, but I can appreciate both Friendship Games and Legend of Everfree for setting up the pretty wonderful 30min - 1hour shorts that followed that canon.

My favorite 30 minute special is Mirror Magic, as it has both scenes in Equestria for a moment, AND we get to see what Starlight Glimmer looks like as a "human".

Favorite hour long special? Not quite so sure. I like Forgotten Friendship quite a lot as it focuses on / deepens the story of Sunset Shimmer, but I also like the "drag EqG girls back to the pony world" shenanigans of Spring Breakdown.

• Brohoof 2

I know what you mean.  I was all snarky and soured when EG first came out, pretty much just because I had an irrational prejudice to them being human.  But I came around, and now I'm a huge EG fan.  In fact I bought all of it on disc that they make.  I really hope they release a dvd of all of the 1-hour specials at some point.

It's really hard to pick a favorite thing.  I think it's a toss-up between Forgotten Friendship, Spring Breakdown, and Legend of Everfree for me.  It's basically a 3-way tie for me, but I think I've got to give it to Everfree by a slim margin just because of the incredible music and beautiful setting.

9 minutes ago, Justin_Case001 said:

pretty much just because I had an irrational prejudice to them being human.

That was legit me, lol. I was like "god damnit, there's already enough Bratz and such in the world, we don't need another weird proportioned teenage girl show!"

But yeah, Everfree has some nice songs in it, and it was nice to see the girls in different outfits then the usual...but some things about it are a little corny x3

• Brohoof 1

It was close between Forgotten Friendship, Legends Of Everfree, and Holidays Unwrapped, but I  have to go with Forgotten Friendship for addressing Sunset reconciling with Celestia 

• Brohoof 2

Not the greatest fan of the EqG spinoff, but it has its moments. I *am* a fan of Sunset, though, who of course is natively a pony, and her character development though the EqG series is endearing.

Some highlights are the "pheonix" song (sorta related to Rainbow Rocks, but really detailing her debt to the humane five during her reformation period) the RR song break where PonyTwi appeals to her for help, and the Forgotten Friendship scene where she apologises to Celestia.  I also see analogies between her "angel" scene at the end of Friendship games and the S6 finale scene where Starlight offers a hoof to Chrysalis.

I am sad SciTwi didn't really get the character development she needed to set herself apart from PonyTwi. It is odd, given pretty much the whole third movie and much of the fourth (including the pretty good "Midnight inside" song) were about her and how different her life has been from that of PonyTwi, but it feels like they are just describing her before she really joined the group, and not her growth though that friendship (which for PonyTwi is of course core to the main show)

19 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

I am sad SciTwi didn't really get the character development she needed to set herself apart from PonyTwi.

I think...that was kinda the point, to always have one human in the EqG world mirror someone in the pony world, how they act / talk and all. But yeah, more development on the characters to show how they live their daily lives outside of school would have been grand.

6 hours ago, fare67t said:

I think...that was kinda the point, to always have one human in the EqG world mirror someone in the pony world, how they act / talk and all. But yeah, more development on the characters to show how they live their daily lives outside of school would have been grand.

I think that was the point for all the other pairings to the mane 6 - but I would suggest SciTwi was contrasting, rather than parallel.

It is interesting to see just what a difference Celestia's efforts to keep her pupil on the "princess path" made. While both were prodigies, PonyTwi's status gave her self-confidence and a certain amount of arrogance, while SciTwi was a doormat bullied by pupils and staff alike.

In both cases though, the friendship of the other members of the group were the key to her personal development, which lagged behind her scholastic one.

• Brohoof 1

25 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

I think that was the point for all the other pairings to the mane 6 - but I would suggest SciTwi was contrasting, rather than parallel.

It is interesting to see just what a difference Celestia's efforts to keep her pupil on the "princess path" made. While both were prodigies, PonyTwi's status gave her self-confidence and a certain amount of arrogance, while SciTwi was a doormat bullied by pupils and staff alike.

In both cases though, the friendship of the other members of the group were the key to her personal development, which lagged behind her scholastic one.

I'll fully agree that they could have made Sci-twi a separate entity from PonyTwi, but I guess Hasbro thought keeping her a parallel to the pony one was a good way of making the intended audience not be confused or something.

Or if nothing else, have a human doll for fans of pony-twi to play with, as honestly...some of the official merch for pony things...kind of lacking x3

16 minutes ago, fare67t said:

I'll fully agree that they could have made Sci-twi a separate entity from PonyTwi, but I guess Hasbro thought keeping her a parallel to the pony one was a good way of making the intended audience not be confused or something.

Or if nothing else, have a human doll for fans of pony-twi to play with, as honestly...some of the official merch for pony things...kind of lacking x3

There were both pony-twi and scitwi playsets. I didn't collect them as not big on merch, but still...

Rainbow Rocks and honestly for me the only other movie that came close to beating it would be Forgotten Friendship, and one of the reasons is the villains, in my opinion, the only good EQG villains would be Sunset(Yes I believe she was a good villain), the Dazzlings, and Principal Cinch, while the others were all either OK or awful(I'm looking at you two, Wallflower and Vignette).  Also, any movie that features Sunset in a prominent role is probably going to get some character bias points from me.

21 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

There were both pony-twi and scitwi playsets. I didn't collect them as not big on merch, but still...

What I meant is that some of the pony-shaped figures and toys weren't the best looking, but yes~

• Brohoof 1

My two favorite pieces of EQG content are kind of tied between Rainbow Rocks and Rollercoaster of Friendship. 

The fact is, Rainbow Rocks is a full movie and RoF is only about 40mins, so it's not that fair and that is why I voted for RoF, because if it's a struggle to vote then I vote for the shorter of the two because one could imagine that if it was longer (i mean it could possibly be boring to but whatever). Love the Rarijack in this! It was so amazing, and I cried so much, it really pulled at my heartstrings. Watched it three times when it first came out and then two more times the day after. Also it was hilarious! Rainbow Rocks is also amazing: great character dynamic, sirens and sunset shimmer rule, great songs, great character development, funny, etc. 

• Brohoof 1

• 8 months later...

Rainbow Rocks and Forgotten Friendship, hands down.

Rainbow Rocks is all-around really solid. The story is good, the character development is great and the songs are some of the best in the EqG spin-offs (Pretty much nothing can beat "Legend of Everfree" in terms of opening themes for me) and I love the cute moments between Twilight and Sunset.

Forgotten Friendship is, in my opinion, the better special story-wise, even if the main gang is kind of dumb for never checking their own things to see that Sunset was being genuine and the flagrant misplacing of Princess Twilight's memory at the end of RR as what Sci-Twi forgot about (although you could debate that it was the rest of the crew's memory about it). Wallflower was... something as a villain, she was still loads better than Juniper Montage, don't get me wrong. But her motivations just crash and burn when it's revealed she would erase the memory of people meeting her when it was awkward. Like, no wonder people don't notice you, you've made sure they don't even know there was a you-shaped person right before them because you breathed in their general direction the wrong way!

However, the Pony side is a treat. Great interactions between Sunset and Twilight, Sunset finally getting to hear that Celestia forgives her, the little jokes and jabs between Sunset, Twi, Celestia and Luna... AND the fact that Unicorns/Alicorns can just copy/paste text and drawings/images from one page onto another that had me genuinely freaking out and made me stop for a second (Seriously, why even bother having dictionaries when Unicorns can probably just auto-correct their ink-written scripts!?)

Surprised I never responded to this before until now.

Anyway, it was a difficult choice for me to make as both Forgotten Friendship and Sunset's Backstage Pass were both fantastic specials. In the end, Forgotten Friendship won me over because of finally resolving the issue between Sunset and Celestia. It took five years for them to reconcile and in my opinion it was well worth it.

• Brohoof 1

My favorite Equestria Girls movies are:

1. Equestria Girls,
  2. Rainbow Rocks
  3.  Friendship Games

My Favorite Equestria Girls specials are:

1. Forgotten Friendship
  2.  Sunset's Backstage Pass

Forgotten Friendship was a something that I was really emotionally invested in, so I can definitely call that one my favourite. Rainbow Rocks comes close since I have a lot of nostalgia for it and because it has some of my favourite songs in the series.

24 minutes ago, Cash In said:

Forgotten Friendship was a something that I was really emotionally invested in, so I can definitely call that one my favourite.

Fair; the sunset/celestia scene is all kinds of special :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think Rainbow Rocks is head-and-shoulders above all of the others, though "Rollercoaster of Friendship" is also quite good. "Holidays Unwrapped" comes pretty close, but I don't think that should count as one special.