Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What would you want out of an MLP video game?

DivineMist1000

I've always wondered why there has never been any proper MLP video games before and I've wondered what an MLP video game would consist of!

What I would do is make it a 3D collect-a-thon platformer with multiple ponies to play as! The world of Equestria is so vivid and varied and it would make for a great video game!

• Brohoof 5

This probably sounds very cliche and "heard it a million times", but I'd like a proper licensed RPG and/or MMO based around My Little Pony. Create a character (or in the case of an RPG, play as the mane 6) and wander around the various locations and worlds, just soaking it all in and immersing yourself into the culture.

I've always been a HUGE fan of immersive things and/or wanting to learn more about characters day to day lives in video games, Splatoon is a perfect example of this. What do the adult inklings look like? What / how do they eat? What does the inside of one's apartment / house look like? Insert dime-a-dozen "adult questions" here

So yeah...basically Legends of Equestria, but...populated and official, with more to do then just grind levels and roleplay (its not that LoE is bad or anything, just...barren).

• Brohoof 3

58 minutes ago, DivineHeart1000 said:

I've always wondered why there has never been any proper MLP video games before and I've wondered what an MLP video game would consist of!

What I would do is make it a 3D collect-a-thon platformer with multiple ponies to play as! The world of Equestria is so vivid and varied and it would make for a great video game!

There have been MLP videogames since the 90s, and FIM has a substantial one already - a freemium townbuilder with minigames form Gameloft.

As for my take... well I've always wanted to do an old-style JRPG, but if I was actually given the job, I might go for a party game or investigation game.

• Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

and FIM has a substantial one already - a freemium townbuilder with minigames form Gameloft.

I think they're talking about big fancyish Console / PC based video games, not mobile x3

but yes, MLP games do exist in some format, even if they may not be all that great.

• Brohoof 2

I already got what I wanted out of an MLP video game, Legends of Equestria. It was amazing, especially during the time when it first went into OAR (open access release) where so many ponies were playing that you couldn't get into the servers because they were full! The only problem with it now is that there aren't many ponies online anymore.

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, EpicEnergy said:

I already got what I wanted out of an MLP video game, Legends of Equestria. It was amazing, especially during the time when it first went into OAR (open access release) where so many ponies were playing that you couldn't get into the servers because they were full! The only problem with it now is that there aren't many ponies online anymore.

I still play LoE...even If I have 0 clue what to do / where to go now that my pony has grown up x3

• Brohoof 2

The main thing: quality. Because if the game is poorly made, all the other things don't matter. Other than that I'd like it to be an RPG with high replay value, where you can both create your character and/or play as the Mane Six and other existing ponies. Also, I'd prefer if it had a new and original story instead of repeating something that happended in the show.

• Brohoof 1

Legends of Equestria had good intentions but didn't go over terribly well. Character design was limited, items were overpriced, from what I recall most missions consisted of running around to different locations and not much more, and enemies were overpowered. You could talk to other players but rarely did that happen, and I think there was a scandal where you'd complete a mission and get this reward, but it would just be dropped on the ground for you to pick at originally so anyone close enough could easilly steal it from you.

The maps weren't anywhere near Skyrim levels but they were of a considerable size. This had the welcome feature of encouraging you to explore but unfortunately there were quite a few empty stretches of land, and the travel was slow paced so if all I wanted to do was go from point A to point B, I'd hold down a button for a few minutes and absent mindedly look at my phone. The game pushed for exploration but dissapointed in that there was only so much to find.

The best aspect was going through major locations. I believe names were changed due to copyright issues, but as a Pegasus it was wonderful to soar through Cloudsdale, over Canterlot, and go up and down the streets of Ponyville. It gave you the sense that you were actually there.

I think the creators were too ambitious and didn't have all of the skills and resources to really make their game work. I'm hoping this is different for Pony Town which has had some awesome updates. It's nowhere near a complete game, but interaction with others is a huge part of it, you can explore, find random amusing objects, and character design is huge and extremely customizable. Really looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

• Brohoof 2

9 minutes ago, fare67t said:

I still play LoE...even If I have 0 clue what to do / where to go now that my pony has grown up x3

Awesome! :mlp_yeehaa:

And I know what you can do now that your pony has grown up, you can basically do what you want as there is no required quests to follow. You can continue doing quests as an adult, as they give experience, bits, and some give unique items. Or you can do the grinding part of the game and defeat enemies to level up and get crafting materials. You can also just go around trying to find other players and make friends and roleplay, that's a fun thing to do as well!

3 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

Legends of Equestria had good intentions but didn't go over terribly well.

Actually, it has changed from what you described. Items aren't overpriced, you can easily gain a ton of bits by defeating enemies ( like 500 bits each golem, and they drop armor which gives a ton of bits as well) The only overpowered enemies are the dragons now once you get high level armor. And rewards you get from missions, they don't drop on the ground anymore and are given to you directly.

Note: that is based off the updates I've played. Two new updates came out they I haven't played, the Frontier (on September 22, 2019) and the Halloween update (on October 30), so a few things might have changed while I've been inactive.

• Brohoof 2

11 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

I'm hoping this is different for Pony Town which has had some awesome updates.

Problem with Pony Town is that it's less of a "game", and more of a "virtual chat program" kinda. Basically all you can really do is wander around, talk to people, pick up objects, and re-decorate a house; there's no real "game" behind it.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, fare67t said:

Problem with Pony Town is that it's less of a "game", and more of a "virtual chat program" kinda. Basically all you can really do is wander around, talk to people, pick up objects, and re-decorate a house; there's no real "game" behind it.

14 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

It's nowhere near a complete game

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, SharpWit said:

Yes but I highly doubt they're going to add in like...combat or such, they get enough money and traffic just from people sitting around doing social things, so it's likely to stay a more social experience then an actual game. :arethosehands:

I think this faces the same challenges as the various efforts I've seen at MLP-based tabletop roleplaying games; one of the main focuses (and indeed, strengths) of the show is the strong inter-personal relationships in various situations (friendship is magic, after all) and that's difficult to do"". To that end, I think that a cooperation-focused online game* would best match the themes of the show - if it made determined efforts to build small inter-player social groups that worked together to solve problems then that would be both fun to play, and if done successfully^ would be a notable step forward in game development.

Still, if making a huge leap forwards in online game design is seen as a bit too ambitious then 

1 hour ago, Steve Piranha said:

a heavy, preferably original, story-driven game. Most likely an RPG, closer to what Mario RPGs are. Good gameplay, secrets, exploration, and great story

will do nicely. 

"" for tabletop RPGs, I see a lot of re-skins of existing, combat-focused RPGs such as D&D. Those are fun (indeed, I have run a D&D 5th edition Ponyfinder campaign) but I don't think the mechanics really match the social focus that a 'true' MLP game would have 

*I don't think an MMO would be a good idea - too high a cost given the limited appeal

^and that is a rather big 'if' - there aren't many games that do co-op really well

20 minutes ago, Once In A Blue Moon said:

I think this faces the same challenges as the various efforts I've seen at MLP-based tabletop roleplaying games; one of the main focuses (and indeed, strengths) of the show is the strong inter-personal relationships in various situations (friendship is magic, after all) and that's difficult to do"". To that end, I think that a cooperation-focused online game* would best match the themes of the show - if it made determined efforts to build small inter-player social groups that worked together to solve problems then that would be both fun to play, and if done successfully^ would be a notable step forward in game development.

Still, if making a huge leap forwards in online game design is seen as a bit too ambitious then 

will do nicely. 

"" for tabletop RPGs, I see a lot of re-skins of existing, combat-focused RPGs such as D&D. Those are fun (indeed, I have run a D&D 5th edition Ponyfinder campaign) but I don't think the mechanics really match the social focus that a 'true' MLP game would have 

*I don't think an MMO would be a good idea - too high a cost given the limited appeal

^and that is a rather big 'if' - there aren't many games that do co-op really well

An online coop game isn’t the only way, you can make a story with developing interpersonal relationship between in-game characters. In fact, I think it’ll work quite well if the main character is a secondary character in the show, who builds friendships and develops along the way

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

An online coop game isn’t the only way, you can make a story with developing interpersonal relationship between in-game characters. In fact, I think it’ll work quite well if the main character is a secondary character in the show, who builds friendships and develops along the way

I agree it's not the only way, but I think that as a show with a strong community and such a big focus on friendship, it has an opportunity to leverage that to make a game that is mechanically and thematically focused on 'Friendship is Magic' in a way that a stand-alone title doesn't. It would probably fail, but if it succeeded then it would become a remarkable game in its own right (and if you want to avoid the drab, unimaginative licenced games that are so common among film or show tie-ins then you should be looking to push boundaries. Not that that's easy with the tight deadlines tie-ins usually have.)

And if they made a singleplayer game where there were excellent interpersonal relationships and a good story with strong writing then that would be excellent too; if some of the superb fan-fiction I've read is anything to go by then there is a great deal of potential in developing the world, so I don't disagree that there is substantial potential there (not to mention that a lot of people, myself included, aren't big fans of online games.)

On a slight tangent, I think that this Extra Credits video on non-combat gaming is of relevance - might I recommend it; it presents some ideas about game design that I think would be pertinent to an MLP game.

3 minutes ago, Once In A Blue Moon said:

I agree it's not the only way, but I think that as a show with a strong community and such a big focus on friendship, it has an opportunity to leverage that to make a game that is mechanically and thematically focused on 'Friendship is Magic' in a way that a stand-alone title doesn't. It would probably fail, but if it succeeded then it would become a remarkable game in its own right (and if you want to avoid the drab, unimaginative licenced games that are so common among film or show tie-ins then you should be looking to push boundaries. Not that that's easy with the tight deadlines tie-ins usually have.)

And if they made a singleplayer game where there were excellent interpersonal relationships and a good story with strong writing then that would be excellent too; if some of the superb fan-fiction I've read is anything to go by then there is a great deal of potential in developing the world, so I don't disagree that there is substantial potential there (not to mention that a lot of people, myself included, aren't big fans of online games.)

On a slight tangent, I think that this Extra Credits video on non-combat gaming is of relevance - might I recommend it; it presents some ideas about game design that I think would be pertinent to an MLP game.

Still not so sure about coop. Sure, bring the friendship theme to a meta level is a good idea on paper, but the online gaming community has a game of doing all the opposite. If there would be an online feature, I think it’s best to make it’s involved minimal, like  Bravely Default did

8 minutes ago, ridaranka said:

Idk video game words but I would like to make my own pony and do quests or something with the characters from the show. Create your own cutie mark and stuff. :)

That sounds kind of like the very first FIM game, Adventures in Ponyville. Might have been nice if that had got an expanded full release at some point.

I feel the reason we haven't gotten a proper one is because of the MLP franchise's reputation for being for little girls, fears that younger kids wouldn't understand or be interested in a game bronies would like. Whether it's an action game, a platformer like Shovel Knight, or an RPG, I don't care. I just want the feeling that I conquered something big as a pony. :nom: 

• Brohoof 2