Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc Far from home. 1x1

Catpone Cerberus

One day somewhere in Equestria, creature is going somewhere like they usually would, when suddenly hear a sound of falling rocks followed by what sounds like animal's cry of pain. When they go investigate, they will find ocean blue dragon, not much bigger than a pony (mostly just longer), seemingly different species to Equestria's own dragons, whimpering as it tries to move its wing and leg that have gotten stuck under a pile of rocks too big to be moved by the dragon itself. 

When they try to get close to the dragon to possibly help it, they will be met with rather hostile reaction, but it is clear that this hostility is most likely due to fear. It soon will become apparent that though this dragon can talk, it speaks an unknown language, and can't speak or understand any Equestrian language. How will the creature solve the situation, can they calm the dragon down enough to help it without using words? if they can, what happens next?

You are the creature, it doesn't need to be a pony, just something that lives in Equestria and can talk and such. 

That is the general plan of the RP, a smaller than usual (for its kind) dragon from far away land has arrived to Equestria from lands where it has only seen its own kind and prey, and where the survival of the fittest is in full action. It gets itself hurt and stuck, and your character comes to help. From there it goes like any other friendship/relationship, they interact and become closer, they learn from each other, etc.

i'm okay with romance, but it isn't necessary.

I don't have a sheet or picture for my character, but here's everything you need to know in advantage.

Height wise he/she is around the same as a pony, maybe a bit taller, but due to shape, they're longer than a pony.

He/she is ocean blue like stated, and for shape/build, this but blue and with shorter legs

He/she is carnivore

He/she doesn't speak or understand any Equestrian language, but is capable of learning it. 

Can breathe fire. 

Though he/she doesn't eat gems, they like anything that shines. 

That's all that comes to mind at the moment.

The location of where in Equestria this happens depends on your character, but if there isn't any canon forest or other terrain where my character could possibly get crushed by rocks, we make one up.

The canon characters exist in the RP, but they are NPCs at best. 

RP: 

Edited by Catpone Cerberus

• 7 months later...

@Catpone Cerberus

Are you still interested in doing this? And would you accept a creature that is in a similar boat to the dragon (Also lost and alone/from another world)? The second point isn't a big deal I could think up someone else to encounter them.

If you are still interested in doing this I'd be happy to do it with you.

@Catpone Cerberus

Awesome!

The character I had in mind is named Ætheron the Swift, a Centaur. 

Size wise he's about the same body height as the princesses, his head height then being about a head higher, or rather hoof to head on him is as high as hoof to horn tip on Celestia.

Light brown coat, dark brown hair/tail, tan skin, elf style ears.

Omnivore but mostly vegetarian given his surroundings.

Knows Equestrian, is familiar with other languages so could likely help teach it to another.

Back story is that he was part of an adventuring party in a D&D style world serving as the ranged support and carrier of items until a trapped portal sent him to Equestria. Over time he's accepted that he'll likely never get back, and he isn't too motivated to try getting back anyway. After a run-in in Ponyville he moved to a camp on the opposite edge of the Everfree working as a courier for the Pony Express specializing in transports across the Everfree and other dangerous terrain. It would be on one of these deliveries that he would come across the trapped dragon.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Illiad Easle said:

@Catpone Cerberus

Awesome!

The character I had in mind is named Ætheron the Swift, a Centaur. 

Size wise he's about the same body height as the princesses, his head height then being about a head higher, or rather hoof to head on him is as high as hoof to horn tip on Celestia.

Light brown coat, dark brown hair/tail, tan skin, elf style ears.

Omnivore but mostly vegetarian given his surroundings.

Knows Equestrian, is familiar with other languages so could likely help teach it to another.

Back story is that he was part of an adventuring party in a D&D style world serving as the ranged support and carrier of items until a trapped portal sent him to Equestria. Over time he's accepted that he'll likely never get back, and he isn't too motivated to try getting back anyway. After a run-in in Ponyville he moved to a camp on the opposite edge of the Everfree working as a courier for the Pony Express specializing in transports across the Everfree and other dangerous terrain. It would be on one of these deliveries that he would come across the trapped dragon.

Okay that works, do you want my dragon to be specific gender? 
Also regarding the language, Ætheron would most likely not be familiar with my dragon's language, and the reason will come bit clearer in the small backstory type of thing that's next.

(also, if there will be written dialogue in said language, i will use http://draconic.twilightrealm.com/ to create it.)

On 11/14/2019 at 10:30 PM, Catpone Cerberus said:

from far away land has arrived to Equestria from lands where it has only seen its own kind and prey, and where the survival of the fittest is in full action.

As stated, this fella is outside Equestria, from lands ruled by its kind, these dragons are the superior creature around there, having driven all opposition into extinction, only creatures left being those who are their prey. The homelands, as they call them, are very hostile place, and no outsider would survive there long enough to learn about them. There is no civilization or any other kind of order, and it's a place where kill or be killed is very true thing.This dragon, around 50 years (with lifespan of several millennia) old, is stunted, and not ruthless enough, and thus couldn't survive in the homelands and thus was forced to leave them, and after flying until they got too tired to continue, ended up in Equestria. 

Edited by Catpone Cerberus
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Illiad Easle said:

@Catpone Cerberus

Sounds good then, if you want romance to be a possibility then they should be female, otherwise I have no preference.

I think there's enough here then to get started, I'll get back from work in about 8 to 10 hours or so.

Aright, I'll make the starting post.

Just FYI, I'll be more active this week than I am usually due to summer break, so if my replies slow down a bit after this week, that's why.
Also, just so you know a bit about our time difference, my time at time of writing this is about 12.50 am

@Catpone Cerberus

You don't need to change anything, but I was spurred to thought by your post: 

7 hours ago, Catpone Cerberus said:

the deer unfortunately saw her too and took off running

I have a few ocs that are deer, but I understand that your dragon wouldn't think of them as sentient, so completely understandable and realistic.

I'll be posting immediately.

6 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

have a few ocs that are deer, but I understand that your dragon wouldn't think of them as sentient

Indeed, she doesn't know what creatures in Equestria are sentient and what not, not that she necessarily would care either since she hasn't been taught morals that would stop her from hunting sentient creatures.

6 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

Australia

Finland.

5 hours ago, Catpone Cerberus said:

Finland.

And that kids is why you look at a map when guessing. Still, that's really cool! I heard lots of great things about Finland, my dad lived there for a year or so.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

(How much of the world do you want to control? I don't want to overstep my bounds.)

@Illiad Easle
You are free to do pretty much anything, there's really only two limits.
1. remember that this is more character focused RP rather than action-adventure, so while threatening situations (like hostile wild animals) are something that can and will happen, it won't be constant, and the situations shouldn't go forever. 

2. Don't directly contradict something I state about the world (This kinda happened already with us moving from late morning to next morning pretty quickly, but that isn't a big deal since time is rarely consistent in my RPs :P)  So for example, if I write something like 'The sun was high in the clear sky and the ground was unbearably hot.' I don't want that in next two posts it's suddenly a thunderstorm (even though that would be possible considering how Equestria's weather works)

Also, since it seems we'll be interacting with canon character, I'll say already that I'm not good with canon characters, so I don't even try to control them in any kind of detailed manner. And if you want that they have dialogue, please make it obvious what is their dialogue and what's Ætheron's. 

• Brohoof 1

@Catpone Cerberus

Noted, sorry about the timeshift, I must have missed where you determined what time it was, I'll keep a closer eye out in the future.

I'll try to steer the direction so we can focus on the characters, I've found that often good character interaction stems from outside conflict or obstacles, but I'll let you come up with those unless you would like me to propose some?

I'll also limit our exposure to canon characters, in full disclosure here's what I had planned: They go to Ponyville to the express office so Ætheron can drop off his current set and get another set to take back across the forest, he'll ask the worker to get him a book on basic and intermediate language learning so he can better teach the dragon how to speak common, and from there we can get more conversation and interaction. We could in this scenario avoid all canon characters if you like, and only reference them in the background, but I think an interaction with Spike would be interesting to consider? I'll let you decide on that though.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

I've found that often good character interaction stems from outside conflict or obstacles

Yes, and that's why I said there will be them, but there also should be down time where nothing is going wrong. Also, outside conflict or obstacle doesn't always need to include danger, it can be something small like for example bad weather. 

8 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

I'll let you come up with those unless you would like me to propose some?

You're free to come up with them, I don't even want to pretend that I have lot of ideas regarding them, and have nothing against you adding them into the RP without asking further permissions, the only thing I ask is that it doesn't change the Rp into action-adventure where action is constant. 

I know I'm not good explaining things, so if I'm being unclear regarding what I mean, we can make it so that you can suggest things when you get ideas and I see a way to include them. 

8 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

I'll also limit our exposure to canon characters, in full disclosure here's what I had planned: They go to Ponyville to the express office so Ætheron can drop off his current set and get another set to take back across the forest, he'll ask the worker to get him a book on basic and intermediate language learning so he can better teach the dragon how to speak common, and from there we can get more conversation and interaction. We could in this scenario avoid all canon characters if you like, and only reference them in the background, but I think an interaction with Spike would be interesting to consider? I'll let you decide on that though.

I'm not fully against including canon characters, but they shouldn't become the main focus in interaction and shouldn't overstay their welcome, so in other word, Spike can be interacted with, but he won't become a common appearance, you get what I mean? 

So yes, we can meet Spike, if you play him, I won't play any canon characters, and at best I may do something like 'canon said a thing while doing something and they looked a certain way when hearing other thing' 

Speaking of Spike, when in canon does this take place? After the finale? Before it? During specific season? 

It's up to you to decide because my character hasn't been affected by Equestria's history, so it doesn't matter to me when this takes place. 

• Brohoof 1

@Catpone Cerberus

Honestly I'm not too experienced with character centric stories, which is why I've just gotten into a few of them to branch out and see what they're like, so I'll defer to you on action/adventure elements and focus myself on character interaction.

I can't say I'm too good at canon character interaction either, which is why I was so quick to drop them, but I suppose we don't need to concern ourselves too much with canon. Speaking of: I usually set my RPs around season four as that's as far as I watched or some alternate version branching off at some point during said season. For Ætheron's story the only condition is that it happened after Tirek, but while the mane six all still live in Ponyville. What that means for Spike I have no clue, I'm not partial about how long after Ætheron's first encounter this takes place, so it could be post finale or any other point after Tirek, I'd just need an idea of how you think Spike should look/act and I'll do my best.

• Brohoof 1

On 7/9/2020 at 9:12 PM, Illiad Easle said:

I can't say I'm too good at canon character interaction either, which is why I was so quick to drop them, but I suppose we don't need to concern ourselves too much with canon. Speaking of: I usually set my RPs around season four as that's as far as I watched or some alternate version branching off at some point during said season. For Ætheron's story the only condition is that it happened after Tirek, but while the mane six all still live in Ponyville. What that means for Spike I have no clue, I'm not partial about how long after Ætheron's first encounter this takes place, so it could be post finale or any other point after Tirek, I'd just need an idea of how you think Spike should look/act and I'll do my best.

After s4 it is then, though in advance, if I bring up details that didn't happen in the fist 4 seasons, they shall be considered part of this alternative timeline, because it has been a while since I have seen any of the earlier episodes and thus I don't really remember what happened when. Spike should be something like he was in S4, I don't remember on detail how he was like but as long as it's believable for his character I'm fine with it. 

• 4 weeks later...

@Illiad Easle
Just for context of how I go about this learning thing.

I myself have English as my second language, so when thinking about what Ædriga learns, I try to think what were the first things I learned with some friendship mixed in considering it's a book written by ponies. 

• Brohoof 1

@Catpone Cerberus

Good on you for the realism and learning new languages, I briefly considered writing Ætheron's spoken words in spanish to emphasize the learning barrier. I mean we still could but at this point she's already passing into a passable understanding of basic Common.

I'm enjoying where this is going, it's a nice calm RP to do after all my complicated and action centric ones.

• Brohoof 1

On 8/8/2020 at 6:48 PM, Catpone Cerberus said:

@Illiad Easle
Just for context of how I go about this learning thing.

I myself have English as my second language, so when thinking about what Ædriga learns, I try to think what were the first things I learned with some friendship mixed in considering it's a book written by ponies. 

@Illiad Easle
Also, to add to this, while I try to make the learning order/process bit more realistic, 
Ædriga's kind is generally more intelligent than humans (or probably in this case ponies) so that's why she learns relatively quick.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

@Catpone Cerberus

It feels like we're just sort of going back and forth here, neither of us really taking initiative in making things happen.

Would you mind if I set up an AIDungeon to create some random events for us? I'll make sure they are well grounded (and the AI doesn't tend to initiate combat too often) but I think that would be a nice, neutral, way to add a bit of variety to the RP.

What do you think of that?

• Brohoof 1

22 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

@Catpone Cerberus

It feels like we're just sort of going back and forth here, neither of us really taking initiative in making things happen.

Would you mind if I set up an AIDungeon to create some random events for us? I'll make sure they are well grounded (and the AI doesn't tend to initiate combat too often) but I think that would be a nice, neutral, way to add a bit of variety to the RP.

What do you think of that?

Sure. 
I admit I'm bad with coming up with conflict because my RP style is more reactionary than anything else, so go ahead and feel free to make events with AIDungeon (or even without), only limit being (as already stated), no too much action/combat, though that doesn't mean there can't be any, just that it should be in a form that it can be used to build up the relationship or is more focused on the characters' actions rather than the combat itself. (and it needs to make sense of course, our character are basically mailmen after all, and I know that AIDungeon can be bit...unique sometimes)

I'll also take this opportunity to lay down bit of my plans, basically, I'm planning on having cameos from my OCs now and then, these will most likely be mostly dialogue since the characters that would have any reason to harm our characters are all bit too powerful for this. There isn't any specific times I've planned them for though, but one is already spotted them, as you may guess. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

I do have a plan, which involves introducing, briefly, Ætheron's relationship with the elements

Continue on with that then :) I just wanted to check since I don't know how much is your planning and how much is the AI. 

but if you see an in for a character of yours I'm more than happy to hear it

There's no hurry with it since this specific character will have plenty of chances to appear considering who it is(or more specifically what they do), I just figured that if you didn't have a plan and Ædriga's attack ended up being a failure, the character could come to help since the ooze nor any mental attacks wouldn't have much effect on them for reasons that come apparent when ever they appear. 

4 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

It is originally your RP after all.

May be, but if one player, DM or not, took all the control in the RP, it wouldn't be enjoyable to everyone. :twi:

• Brohoof 1