Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Keannu Reeves is just another celeb

PCutter

I liked the Matrix movie. Still have to watch the other 2. And I am not interested in John Wick.

But I am just so pissed off at how obsessed people are over him, like God or the second coming or something. I just like him but not to that extent. I like how he, for instance got along with a homeless man and that he treats women properly, but that isn't a reason for the world to go hysterical. We don't need people going mad just because he breathes the same air we do.

I also have other celebs whom I also like but not to that obsessive extent.

This whole phenomenon is just Twilight 2.0. It's happening all over again.

Edited by PCutter

Uhm. Okay. Some people just really appreciate what he’s done for society. Really don’t see the point of getting upset over something you could very easily ignore. So some people worship him, so what. People do that s*** all the time why do you care about this instance specifically. 

• Brohoof 2

Image result for keanu reeves jesus"

But he is our savior :laugh:

It'll calm down in a year or two. He's just the most popular actor right now because

he's both badass and wholesome which gives him some seriously wide appeal, not

to mention his meme potential. I haven't even seen any of his movies outside of the

Matrix trilogy.

• Brohoof 1

"Just another celeb" does him a MASSIVE disservice. He's one of the few that's not just a terrible person (and a somewhat handsome man too, I must say), and in fact if we're being honest with ourselves, he's the real reason why anybody could like the John Wick films. 

AccomplishedPoliteKingbird-max-1mb.gif

But nonetheless, "just another celeb?" Maybe not god tier, but still nah.

Edited by Ayyngel Dust
  • Brohoof 4

What you are describing is "Celebrity Worship Culture" and that certainly does not only apply to Keanu. This country especially loves to treat rich and famous people like gods among us mere peasants. People treat them as if their life is more valuable than the rest of us. I see that as a continuous and growing issue. It only seems to be getting worse. A lot of people actually want to keep up with the life of worthless morons like Kim Kardashian. That alone should show how pathetic a lot of it is.

As for Reeves himself though, he is a great actor but he also seems like a nice guy. That's more than what we can say about most "celebrities". I have no negative feelings towards him.

• Brohoof 4

*Shrug* :maud: I'm just neutral on the whole thing.

I'm glad Keanu is a nice, humble guy in real life. I'm not head-over-heals for him. You want me to sing the praises of a celeb? Kindness is one thing, but give me the full picture. Tell me about the charity work they've done. Tell me about how they've given back to the world, if at all. Did they give back out of the kindness of their heart, or was it just a publicity stunt? Tell me about the controversies or any negative things they were part of that the general audience/fans should know about. Anyone can be nice and humble, but it takes more then that to be a hero/role model in my eyes.

I should do my own research on the guy, but since I'm not even that deeply invested in him, I can't be bothered.

The last outstanding thing I ever heard about him was some news article about how, whenever he is around female fans, he never makes any kind of physical contact. No hugs or anything, just hands behind his back and maybe a peace sign or something. Many were praising this as how men and celebrities should act around their fans, I just wondered if cancel/outrage culture has gone so far that even a casual/platonic hug could be seen as harassment or problematic. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen people imply that...

Edited by Samurai Equine

I will say I'm stoked that he's appearing in Cyberpunk 2077. He's one of my favorite actors, and that made me more excited for a game I was already excited enough for. 

There really is only one way to answer a thread like this. 

707455012_OkBoomerReeves.thumb.jpg.15cb01cb074e247e4578a3fa94425a65.jpg

People like him for being wholesome rather than because he is simply famous. Live and let live~ 

I don't tend to idolize other humans. But if you're GOING to idolize someone, it's better to pick a decent person. Reeves seems like an okay dude with talent, so there are definitely worse people to admire.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, Ayyngel Dust said:

"Just another celeb" does him a MASSIVE disservice. He's one of the few that's not just a terrible person (and a somewhat handsome man too, I must say), and in fact if we're being honest with ourselves, he's the real reason why anybody could like the John Wick films. 

But nonetheless, "just another celeb?" Maybe not god tier, but still nah.

WRONG.

It is the opposite of a disservice because he is, as you said one of the few good people. As in, NOT THE ONLY ONE.
What is TRULY a disservice is to call him the sole source of decency and ignore all the other potentials.

1 minute ago, PCutter said:

WRONG.

It is the opposite of a disservice because he is, as you said one of the few good people. As in, NOT THE ONLY ONE.
What is TRULY a disservice is to call him the sole source of decency and ignore all the other potentials.

Toxic much?

Most of the “obsession” is tongue in cheek like it was with Chuck Norris. Also I don’t waste my time focusing on what other people like and the volume that they like them, because raining on people’s parade when there isn’t anything at stake kinda makes you a dick. 

• Brohoof 4

Reeves seems like a good guy. If people are obsessed with him, let them be. It doesn't do anyone any harm at the end of the day, so just walk away.

Edited by Cash_In
  • Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Jeric said:

Most of the “obsession” is tongue in cheek like it was with Chuck Norris

That’s what I kind of assumed. It’s like a meme; it’s not a joke that people like him, but getting in on the hyperbole IS.

It’s like if I said, “There are only two kinds of MLP fans: Those that acknowledge Ahuizotl as best character, and those that have yet to accept their true feelings.”

It’s exaggeration for comedy, even if I actually do love him. :ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 3

10 hours ago, Jeric said:

Most of the “obsession” is tongue in cheek like it was with Chuck Norris. Also I don’t waste my time focusing on what other people like and the volume that they like them, because raining on people’s parade when there isn’t anything at stake kinda makes you a dick. 

Chuck Norris built the hospital that he was born in.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

This would all stem from that Chuck Norris epidemic from before.

The only thing I hate just as much as equating humans to gods, if not more, is equating humans to gods AS A JOKE.

I still don't even know who the hell CN is, no matter how deep I dig.

Everyone says he's the ultimate martial artist incarnate, but I see him as big, irrelevant, half-assed joke.

That's how I feel about this whole Reeves epidemic now.

Edited by PCutter

On 12/7/2019 at 12:31 PM, PCutter said:

This would all stem from that Chuck Norris epidemic from before.

The only thing I hate just as much as equating humans to gods, if not more, is equating humans to gods AS A JOKE.

I still don't even know who the hell CN is, no matter how deep I dig.

Everyone says he's the ultimate martial artist incarnate, but I see him as big, irrelevant, half-assed joke.

That's how I feel about this whole Reeves epidemic now.

Kay. Have fun being a wet blanket mate. 

• Brohoof 1