Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What happened to Nyx?

fare67t

So, one thing has kind of bothered me as of late...

Anyone remember / know about that fan character Nyx? I think she's originally from that fanfiction "Past Sins" (which I now have a hardcover book of), correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I remember back in 2012-2014 or whenever, everyone was talking about her, making fan art, plushies, RPing as her, etc; she was a very popular and beloved character it seems.

Well to my surprise, after coming back from my multi-year hiatus away from the fandom, I come back to people doing kind of the opposite: making fun of the character, making memes out of her like "compared to this, was I really that bad?", etc.

So it has me wondering...what happened while I was gone? x3

• Brohoof 2

Because I never read fan fics, I never was introduced to Nyx.

Was this Nyx character big? How many on the forum remember her? I know @Totally Nyx know the character well, but that's the only info I have, without actually reading fan fics!

• Brohoof 2

8 minutes ago, Splashee said:

Was this Nyx character big?

From what I remember, yes she was kinda. It may have ironically turned into a situation similar to that of Bronies in general, in which she was talking about / posted everywhere to the degree of over-saturation, so people may have started to turn around and bandwagon against her just to make people shut up.

Just a theory of mine, though~

• Brohoof 2

@Splashee Oh yeah, she was everywhere. I never read any of it but I think the story was basically Nightmare Moon being separated from Luna and took on the form of a little filly who Twilight adopts but there's issues because she gets picked on for being nerdy and given the power Nightmare Moon has, is destined for great things and has to learn how to control herself. Someone should fact check me on that though.

Image result for Nyx mlp"

As to her popularity, she's too specific I think. It's not like the horrors of Rainbow Factory and Cupcakes where you suspend your belief the entire time, It's not like My Little Dashie where the story rights itself so for all intents and purposes their lives go on as being mostly normal, at least from what I recall. It's not like Fallout Equestria where it got so big it created a subculture within the fandom. We can poke fun at a lot of the early stories because much like how the world got obsessed with the likes of Jeff the Killer, his story wasn't that good. While we remember him, he doesn't hold up to other, better written characters. This may or may not be the case for Nyx, but what I'm relatively certain on is that she was a product of her time, and bigger and better thigns have certainly come along. I think we all have to face this with something we hold dearly at some point.

• Brohoof 2

I definitely remember loving Past Sins. But then I got older and realized a lot of the flaws it has.

I never ended up DISLIKING Nyx, but it possible others got older and realized the flaws in the story as well and did begin disliking it.

Or just lost their passion for it.

• Brohoof 3

Nyx? Who's this "Nyx" you speak of? :ooh:

Oh! Best pony! ^_^

I unfortunately missed the heyday of Nyx. I had run across her before, very briefly. See a random fanart one day, then maybe a few months later hear about some popular fanfic where Twilight takes in a little filly, possibly adopting her, things like that. I never gave it a second thought until I decided to pick up Past Sins and read it one fateful day 11 months ago. I'm a bit saddened that I never knew about her when she was popular, but I'm glad I did eventually run across her story. I tend to avoid putting OCs in my rankings for favorite characters, favorite villains, favorite background characters, etc., but I made an exception for Nyx. :squee:

6 hours ago, fare67t said:

Well to my surprise, after coming back from my multi-year hiatus away from the fandom, I come back to people doing kind of the opposite: making fun of the character, making memes out of her like "compared to this, was I really that bad?", etc.

Show me these people, I need to have a serious word with them. :okiedokieloki:

I'll say this, Past Sins isn't the best written book out there, it's story isn't perfect, and maybe other OCs might be written better. That said, it's still my favorite fanfic I've ever read, it's close to my favorite book in general that I've read, and it's better quality than most popular books out there by professional authors. And I've read a lot of books. I highly recommend it to any pony fan looking for a good story (or not looking for one).

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

I definitely remember loving Past Sins. But then I got older and realized a lot of the flaws it has.

I never ended up DISLIKING Nyx, but it possible others got older and realized the flaws in the story as well and did begin disliking it.

Or just lost their passion for it.

Thats probably it. I don't think I've even really read the story before, just looked at some fan comics and such :ithastolookpretty:

• Brohoof 1

• 7 months later...