Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

web Who's leaving YouTube after 2019?

FirePuppy

I am. Recently, most of us have heard about some goddamn law from the FTC that makes the site "more appropriate for kids to use". Because of this, I'm collecting as many videos as I can for personal use and sacrificing all my the channels I have there, and just rely on alternates like iTunes, Amazon Video, Google Drive and The Internet Archive from now on.

Unless you want to be like those overwhelming number of members there who may end up facing charges of the price of a luxury car for each video, I'd be doing the same thing I'm doing right now if I were you.

Edited by FirePuppy

I'm just going to wait and see what happens. I doubt it's going to be the end of YouTube and I just can't imagine people being fined for huge amounts of money for having videos not suitable for children or whatever. 

• Brohoof 3

I don’t post videos, only comments. So I’m at no risk of being fined. But I doubt this is going to end up being as much of a catastrophe as some people are predicting.

It’s undeniably stupid, but I don’t think the end result is going to be the worst case scenario.

I like to be blunt and all that: Block all children (kids) below 13 years old from Youtube.

Create a separate Youtube called Youtube-kids (just an example), where this COPPA organization can have fun and control the kids on their own time. Let's be honest, none of us here at the forum are below 13, so you should agree with me :yeahno:

• Brohoof 1

I don't really post videos, but I certainly hope a sizeable number of content creators do move to some other platform, because YouTube is becoming hopeless.

This whole COPPA thing literally KILLS anyone trying to do channels related to certain video games. Poketubers might be TOTALLY gone, and it's also threatening other Nintendo-related channels as well. COPPA needs to stop, and people need to stop making up $#!+ about how it's somehow a good thing. :ButtercupLaugh:

Edited by Ayyngel Dust
  • Brohoof 1

I have one video and just marked it as "for kids", since it doesn't have anything inappropriate :) In the same page I could mark the video as age restricted to 18+. I wonder what would happen if I did so - Youtube then would have to ban kids from seeing it and would not violate the law...

Anyway, it seems that Google's tactics of blaming the law and the government for Google's own wish to collect data is working. People seem to be confused and think that the FTC is restricting what content can be posted and such. After all, Google wants to do the targeted-at-viewer advertising and for that it needs profiles and for that it needs data about anyone and everyone. 

My guess is that Google found someone to bribe in the FTC and they both decided on this course of action to try to change the law.

Anyone posting here that they will be taking videos down - please post the name of your channel :twismile:

Edited by Pentium100

I've accepted the fact that Youtube is just going to keep getting worse and worse since 2014, and that was peak Youtube for me, believe it or not. Not because I thought the site was good, but because that was the time I was enjoying the site most. I've seen the so-called "end of Youtube" come loads of times. People are never going to actually move on from it unless there's a good alternative to move onto. If that alternative ever arrives, that is where I will go, and I will take the gaming videos I occasionally make with me. 

• Brohoof 3

I'll still be on YouTube full stop and I'll still be making my own YouTube videos. Also, that's not how the system works as you got the facts all wrong. Doomsday Debunked, Mad Munchkin and TheMysteriousMrEnter all made a video about what COPPA is really about. Watch those videos FIRST before jumping to conclusions. Going into full-panic mode is not the solution here.

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 1

I don't upload videos either way, so that problem shouldn't affect me. As for leaving the website itself. Nah. Well, not yet at least. If a better platform comes up, it will come up. Just going to have to wait and see where things go for now.

5 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

I labeled my channel as “not for kids” due to the teen rated stuff on it so I think I should be okay. Nothing has happened yet

From what I've heard, that won't mean anything. Youtube only implemented that feature as a minimum requirement for the contract. But they decided to also use AI to autodetect kids content and label it as such. This makes the option for content creators to label their videos themselves useless since AI could label it as kids content regardless of how you labelled it.

The funny thing about this is that it's opposite of what normal labeling guides say. If you are not sure, then you should label the video as "for kids" so that Youtube does not collect data. You should label the video as "not for kids" only if you are sure that it's not for kids and kids won't watch it.

Youtube, of course, could then restrict the not-for-kids videos so kids do not get to see them, but it does not want to do so (I guess Youtube hopes to collect data on kids who watch the not-for-kids labelled videos).

So is this COPPA problem a response to Hazbin Hotel being easily accessible on Youtube? Did it get that far?

Marking my Splashee Theme video "made for kids" just because it looks like a colorful pony cartoon thing with happy music, doesn't really matter to me if kids watch it, but it is clearly not aimed for any kids. It was aimed for the people here on the forum, which are 13+.

I still say, Youtube should be for teens and up, not allowed for kids. The only ones who want to exploit kids on Youtube should do it somewhere else where it is legal to do so.

• Brohoof 1

53 minutes ago, Twisted Cyclone said:

Wait, so what happened to YT being a 13+ site?

Google wanted to collect data about kids.

1 hour ago, Splashee said:

The only ones who want to exploit kids on Youtube should do it somewhere else where it is legal to do so.

It's Youtube itself that's exploiting the kids by collecting their data in violation of the law.

Edited by Pentium100
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Pentium100 said:

Google wanted to collect data about kids.

It's Youtube itself that's exploiting the kids by collecting their data in violation of the law.

That is no good! Youtube needs to stop that, and stop putting us (the users of Youtube) in danger! :yeahno:

• Brohoof 1

On 11/25/2019 at 12:10 AM, Bas said:

But wouldnt that mean that it would be wise by YT to default all (new?) vids for adult/non-kids only and making vids for kids rated as an opt-in instead of opt-out?

Video rated not for kids = Google collects data.
Video rated for kids = Google does not collect data
Video rated not for kids, but is actually for kids = Google collects data, FTC gets angry.

The logical move would be to have three categories of videos:
1. For kids - anyone can watch, no data is collected
2. For 13+ - you have to be signed in (and 13+) to watch, data is collected
3. For 18+ (this exists now) - you have to be singed in (and 18+) to watch, data is collected.

Another way to do this would be to collect data based on user, not video:
1. Not logged in - can only watch "for kids" videos, no data is collected
2. Logged in and 13+ - can watch "for kids" and "general" videos, data is collected
3. Logged in and 18+ - can watch any video, data is collected

The problem with this is that Google would actually be unable to collect data on kids (or people who only watch kids videos), instead of continuing to do so and then blaming the creators for "improperly marking" the videos after giving them every incentive to mark the videos as "not for kids".

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, this might be even worse than Article 13. FTC’s COPPA Law is written too vague for any sane person to even consider following it. The law made sense back when the internet was at its infancy with all the 80s and 90s commercial. The internet changed everything from which the creators of FTC’s COPPA Law didn’t even consider making the necessary revisions. Pretty Lazy for the government to overlook at.

Well if you live in America you can report this matter to the FTC’s website about the COPPA Law to not destroy YouTube and most internet media in general. So I might as well give it a shot and make a reasonable comment about the matter.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/07/25/2019-15754/request-for-public-comment-on-the-federal-trade-commissions-implementation-of-the-childrens-online

I understand the intention. It is for the greater good. Collecting data on people under 13 is bad for advertising. But, further revisions need to be made in order for FTC’s COPPA Law to work properly for 2020.

Leaving one more website for further commenting about the COPPA Rule. It's Thanksgiving Day on USA where I currently am so I will eventually file my comment before the deadline December 9th, 2019.

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=FTC-2019-0054-0001

Edited by ZethaPonderer
Adding the website link. Both links are equally valid to leave behind comments

YouTube is basically going off the deep end here. IIRC, there's already another site equivalent to YouTube that had started off small but is gradually growing. Only a matter of time before people start leaving/abandoning YouTube en masse.

On 11/23/2019 at 3:17 PM, Splashee said:

I like to be blunt and all that: Block all children (kids) below 13 years old from Youtube.

Create a separate Youtube called Youtube-kids (just an example), where this COPPA organization can have fun and control the kids on their own time. Let's be honest, none of us here at the forum are below 13, so you should agree with me :yeahno:

>Create a separate Youtube called Youtube-kids (just an example), where this COPPA organization can have fun and control the kids on their own time.

Actually, I don't know if you were being sarchastic or not, but there is a youtube kids already. And it's creepy as fuck.

And kids under 13 are not allowed in youtube! It is shitty parents that just let tablets on their children hooves that made the problem! Have you ever seen modern parenting in action? I have cousins who give an iPad to their child on whatever weird, horrible youtube kid-oriented video (like that awful baby shark song -shudder-), and kids spend hours lobotomized by the idiotic content those weirdos upload. Seriously, just take a moment to watch any of those "Opening surprise egg! Amazing toys!" kind of video for a couple minutes and you'll meet a whole new kind of psychological horror. The actors are uncanny. They feel like aliens or living manequins.

But anyway, youtube was collecting data through their scripts and showing kid oriented commercials with that data. Parents got mad at it because "their childrens were vulnerable!". And since it is the most logic thing, a sue was put and the shitty parents won the sue. FTC bills Youtube because lulz, and youtube says "that's fine, we WON'T really change what we should since is more profitable to keep spying on children, but we shall point fingers at content creators so you can pluck them and we can keep our hooves clean".

So, regarding the question... I've seen the majority of the musicians from the fandom planning on a massive exodus to any other video streaming option. Many animators are thinking about the same, but nopony has really agreed on a single site or two of them. I myself will keep watching youtube until the content disappears. Afterwards? Probably lurk the many archives the guys at 4chan are working on.

• Brohoof 2