Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Favorite Music of the 2010s

Envy

Not to completely parrot off of the Favorite Movies of the Decade topic, but I do think this would be a great topic!

Here's some of my favorites:

(Cursed forum messed up my formatting, so everything is under spoilers inside of spoilers... Sorry!)

The Owl Service (British Folk Rock/Pop):
Sad this group is no more. They are a more modern take on the classic British Folk Rock bands like Steeleye Span. They balance being modern with being rustic very well.

Midlake (Various Genres):

This band is an odd one. They change their identity with pretty much every album, but I've liked each sound they've taken up, so it works?

Wobbler (Progressive Rock):

Classic progressive rock is not dead.

Miscellaneous:

Listen to that classic 70s Philly Soul instrumentation! Love it!

Another retro, this one being more 70s hard rock:

^More retro

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 2

In 2010 I started listening to a few genres I had previously ignored:

Electroswing:

Synthwave and retrowave:

I also discovered vocaloids:

And, of course, brony music:

Other than that, in 2010s I enjoyed both old favorites like Muse and Lacrimosa, and newly discovered bands and singers, like Teleman, Cage the Elephant and Mitski. Overall, it was a very interesting decade for me musicwise.

The early 2010's were probably my favorite for music, but there has been some good music released recently.

Spoiler

Sleeping with Sirens. Madness is my favorite album.

Spoiler

Pierce the Veil. Selfish Machines and Collide with the Sky are really good albums.

Spoiler

My Chemical Romance (though most of my favorite songs by theme are pre-2010)

Spoiler

Falling in Reverse. I'm not a big fan of their more recent songs, but most of Coming Home is still a good album.

Spoiler

I DON'T KNOW HOW BUT THEY FOUND ME. They're a really new band of two people, and their music is actually pretty good. Also, their music videos give off an odd vibe.

Spoiler

and Princewhateverer. Who doesn't like his music?

Spoiler

Bonus

Spoiler

I tried to not post too many. I limited myself to one song per album at most. For most of them, anyway.

Fun fact; Are You There was the song that introduced me to music in the fandom.

SCREAM BY OZZY OSBOURNE!!!!!!!!!! MY FAVORITE ALBUM OF ALL TIME! (released in 2010)

ALL THE FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC MUSIC OF COURSE!!!

Favorites Tier 1: Gold Cobra by Limp Bizkit(2011), Unto the Locust by Machine Head(2011), Recovery by Eminem (2010) Bloodstone and Diamonds by Machine Head(2014), 1000 Forms of Fear by Sia(2014), Yours Truly by Ariana Grande(2013), Light by Ellie Goulding(2010), Halcyon by Ellie Goulding(2012), Hell:The Sequel by Bad Meets Evil(2011)

Favorites Tier 2: Will to Power by Arch Enemy (2017), Undeniable by Hellyeah (2016), This is Acting by Sia(2016), Prisoners by The Agonist(2012), Eye of Providence by The Agonist(2015), Jomsviking by Amon Amarth(2016), Love Story by Yelawolf (2015), The Sin and the Sentence by Trivium(2017), In Waves by Trivium(2011), Brainwash by While She Sleeps(2015)

Favorites Tier 3: Dystopia by Megadeth(2016), 13 by Black Sabbath(2013), Marshall Mathers LP 2 by Eminem(2013), Sweet Talker by Jessie J(2014), Immortal by Black Gryph0n(2014), Royal Blood by Royal Blood(2014), The Concrete Confessional by Hatebreed(2016), The Divinity of Purpose by Hatebreed(2013), White Crosses by Against Me(2010)

got a little carried away XD

Anything nelward:

Spoiler

And this one, Sebastian Gampl - Under Control (though today I find it kinda weak, very very weak):

I can't ignore all the Super Metroid world records by Zoast having my IRL friend's music playing during the credits:

• Brohoof 1

The 2010s is when I really got into music. What I'll do is name a band and put up my favorite song of theirs that got released in the 2010s. Some of these bands started off in the 2010s

Disturbed - Serpentine

Spoiler

Starset - Die For You

Spoiler

Breaking Benjamin - Close to Heaven

Spoiler

This is where things get interesting. Recently I've gotten into the Post Rock genre.

Sigur Rós - Hoppipolla
This is the song that got me interested in the genre. It's also the Post Rock song more people would be familiar with since it played during the intro of the Planet Earth series of documentaries.

Spoiler

Post Rock is something of an obscure genre. Some songs aren't available separately on Youtube so I'll put up a picture of their album cover and hyperlink to the soundtrack. Just open the spoiler tags and click on what you find.

Cathedral Ring - Infinite Absence

Spoiler

a4046702201_10.jpg

If These Trees Could Talk - Berlin

Spoiler

Distant Dream - Gradient Space

Spoiler

Stars as Lights - Guided Through Flames

Spoiler

a0379337290_10.jpg

The Outsider - Oceans Have No Memory

Spoiler

a3332869089_10.jpg

Magma Waves - Fall of Columbia

Spoiler

Alnea - Ljos

Spoiler

a3473386647_10.jpg

2 minutes ago, Critical-Hit said:

Eh..my taste in music is a few decades before..

Well, my taste in popular (in other words non-classical) music lies primarily in the 1960s and 70s, but I still have found music from the last decade that I like. Surely there's at least something for you in the last decade?

I mostly listen to entire albums, but The Suburbs by Arcade Fire is a really solid one. Here's the opening song for it:

Spoiler

There's also Lonerism by Tame Impala:

Spoiler

Weezer's White Album:

Spoiler

AM by Arctic Monkeys:

Spoiler

El Camino by the Black Keys:

Spoiler

And A Moon Shaped Pool by Radiohead:

Spoiler

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

This was the first decade in which I was really able to get into music and develop my own unique taste, because I was still only 12 when 2010 came around.

Here are some favorites from the past 10 years...

flora cash - You're Somebody Else

Smallpools - Stumblin' Home

Angels & Airwaves - Tunnels

The Black Keys - Lonely Boy

CHVRCHES - The Mother We Share

Muse - Dig Down

Foo Fighters - Rope

Radiohead - Daydreaming

Coldplay - Arabesque

Paramore - Ain't It Fun

Liam Gallagher - Greedy Soul

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Holy Mountain

Spoiler

And then, some music from an indie artist who got started by mostly doing brony music:

Aviators - Wolves

• Brohoof 1

Pop music from the past 2 or 3 decades in general has left a very sour taste in my mouth, but I did get into electronic music quite recently and there's some really good stuff here. One duo in particular, Justice, really caught my attention.

And yes, the third video is the same music that was used for the season 4 trailers of Rick and Morty. And yes, they've made many more good tracks, these are just a few of the best I could think of.

Edited by Le Angel Dust

• 3 months later...

Kristine stole my heart this decade~ I love her so much. The vaporwave, synthwave their off shoot genres as a whole, the post-Oasis Gallaghers and some 10s J-Pop have all made me smile but nothing comes close to Kristine for me. I really hope she makes more music.