Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you celebrate Thanksgiving? If so, what is the meaning of Thanksgiving to you?

EpicEnergy

Do you celebrate Thanksgiving?  

22 users have voted

1. 1. Do you celebrate Thanksgiving?

• yes
    • no

Thanksgiving is a very U.S. holiday which is very famous around the world because of different TV shows. Unlike Halloween, it is very specific to U.S.'s history.

I do not celebrate Thanksgiving (because i don't live in the U.S.)

Let’s see… Thanksgiving is for giving thanks. And spending time with family. And cooking a disproportionate amount of food. It’s not a holiday I’m crazy about, but I’m thankful for it anyway. :P

• Brohoof 1

Pretty much as what @Splashee said; Thanksgiving isn't really a practiced holiday here in Europe. Doesn't mean that I can't be thankful, however. We just do it on our own time. :dash:

• Brohoof 2

I do celebrate it, but I'm thinking I may retire the traditional Thanksgiving fare when I go out on my own. Maybe just order a few pizzas and bread sticks or something. The traditional fare isn't even what was eaten for Thanksgiving in the first place (it's for being thankful for the presence of those around you along with just everything good that comes your way), plus focusing on that ignores the point of the holiday, especially when my opinion on most of the food is less than spectacular most of the time considering I don't really like dressing, can't stand sweet potatoes, and the thought of eating leftovers I won't be fond of for a couple of weeks after that isn't exactly a pleasant one. 

Thanksgiving to me is a celebration of obesity, which is very American. :nom:

Its also about thankfulness but on the stroke of midnight that ideal is thrown out of the window. As if their last huge meal didn’t satisfy their hunger enough.

Now that I think about it kinda like how the Americans and the native gather in harmony and on the next, killing off the natives over land.. except now they’re killing each other over a $5 off worth shit. huh? History repeat itself in a way.  

• Brohoof 1

As a Turkey person...... I used to have pet Turkeys when I was little, I do not really like Thanksgiving to be fair! Also Lisa Simpson had a good point about Thanksgiving in some of the earlier episodes. So even if i lived in the U.S., I probably wouldn't celebrate it anyways.

My family celebrates it, but to me it's nothing more than eating a bunch of really good food for a few days until it's all gone. I guess I've always been one to just go off and do my own thing, and while I do like my sister and my mom, I don't want to sit down to eat with a bunch of people and have to pretend I tolerate them (man, I'm becoming more and more reclusive by the day).

In previous years we've always gone to my half-sister's house for Thanksgiving, so I've also developed a negative connotation with the holiday because of that. I don't really like her husband or their kids (to put it nicely), and it'd always sets my teeth on edge whenever I went to her house.

It's a little different this year since my parents and I are going to eat at my real sister's house this time around, and I actually do want to see her. She's the closest to me out of anyone else in my family. We've always had a lot of the same interests and done a lot of the same things, and she's actually the one who convinced me to join band in middle school and later marching band in high school.

I’m not really gonna be able to participate this year, but we do celebrate.

To mean it means togetherness, good food, and being thankful for the blessings you have.

It means being followed around by my baby cousins, and lounging on the couch listening to the football game and my relatives watching it. I means getting to see my family that I never get to see because we almost all live hours away from each other.

I'm an American, and for some reason if I google thanksgiving, the Canadian variant appears first.

I celebrate it but it's been a smaller event over the years. We used to cook Cornish game hens so everyone had their own bird and thus wishbone as well. My dad's side of the family always does ham, my first stepfather's would make roast beef, and one year my mom made Salmon, so they've varied quite a bit, but I've had my fair share of turkey.

To me, Thanksgiving has lost it's original meaning and become a an excuse to gorge yourself and enjoy time with your friends and family.

Sometimes my family gets together for the day, but most years it's just another day. I don't really care for any of the traditional Thanksgiving foods... There have been Thanksgivings where I have ordered pizza. lol.

3 hours ago, EpicEnergy said:

I celebrate Thanksgiving, because it means spending time with my family and thanking God for what He has blessed me with. I also celebrate it because it is a family tradition.

Well, that is what l would say too about how l celebrate it!

all good

• Brohoof 1

I always celebrate Thanksgiving with my family.

And thank goodness I never actively get involved in stores opening early on Black Friday that tend to turn into Chaos at Midnight. Attending stores that early and crowded can be deadly. My parents usually wait until 10 in the morning once the chaos dies down.

I do celebrate Thanksgiving. My immediate family goes to visit extended family or we have that extended family over to our home. To us, it’s a time when we can all get together to be with each other with a nice, big dinner.

13 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

I always celebrate Thanksgiving with my family.

And thank goodness I never actively get involved in stores opening early on Black Friday that tend to turn into Chaos at Midnight. Attending stores that early and crowded can be deadly. My parents usually wait until 10 in the morning once the chaos dies down.

my parents go at 12 am and l never question them if it's crazy at that time.

I celebrate not with a bunch of food but by being with my parents and reflecting on what I'm thankful for.

I'm very thankful to even be alive let alone be with my family. Even though, yes, you should always be thankful for being alive but do people actually think about how lucky they are to be alive? How lucky they are to have a hand to pull you up when you have fallen and/or a heart to keep you warm through even the coldest of winters? And what about your friendships? Be it a single person or an entire battalion, (It may be just me but) nobody gives you such strength and courage to continue and fight on in this harsh and sometimes unforgiving world like your friends and family.
Sorry, I kind of got a bit carried away. I couldn't help it!

I hate traditional Thanksgiving food... turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes... makes me sick just thinking about it :eww: 

I’ll go over to a family friend’s house so I don’t feel alone on that day, though. And I do enjoy cooking a food from some other culture instead!

Edited by SparklingSwirls

No, we don't have thanksgiving here in germany. It is for us a normal tuesday were we have to go to school, university or work. We also have our own harvest festival in october, but I also don't celebrate this ... I even don't know exactly when in october it is to be honest. The last time I celebrated the harvest festival was in the Kidnergarden where we gone to the chruch and after the holy mess, we gone back to the Kindergarden and had a giant breakfast. But since than, I never celebrated it again.