Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you consider Rarity a good designer?

Sepul-Coloratura

Considering all of her past behaviors, her design abilities seems to be switching back and forth between good and bad. She has proven herself to be a great designer at episodes like Suited for Success, and her being a successful fashion designer is a fundamental premise of her character. But she also has shown that sometimes she is not a good designer as well. (episodes like She's all Yak, or when somebody doesn't recognizes her writing in the diary, she says "It's called caligraphy darling.")

Do you think Rarity is a good designer by any means? When did you felt that she is an excellent / terrible designer?

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 1

I feel like generally she's a really good designer. Stuff like the Gala dresses, Twilight's finale coronation dress, most of the outfits she's worn herself, etc. All of those clearly show she's extremely talented at her craft. Occasionally she designs some weird stuff, like those weird flower outfits from "Rainbow Falls" and a few other dumb outfits, but those seem to be mainly for comedy purposes, 9/10 she seems to know what she's doing. Even excellent creatives aren't above making mistakes though, you know? There are plenty of great writer's or directors or other artists who generally produce high quality stuff, but even they might occasionally slip up and make something not that great. I'd consider Rarity the same as them.

• Brohoof 2

Rarity has proven time and time again that she is incredibly talented at designing, so yeah, the majority of her work is pretty good. Of course, there would be the rare instance where the quality doesn't match up, but everyone experiences that. It's par for the course when it comes to these things.

• Brohoof 3

I think she's an excellent designer. The problem is not really her inworld but what happens with the writters outside of the world of MLP that, for whatever god awful reason, think that changing the character and their capabilities according to their own desires and to what the plot demands is a good idea. So then we have episodes where rarity is true to what she is, a good designer, at the same time as having episodes like rainbowfalls... y know, for the lols... No matter if it murders rarity as a designer, "it's funny that she's awful!", "Oh! How funny it would be to show how incapable Yona is to recognize that she's looking horrible! Let's make Rarity do it because she's too into fashion that she cannot recognize that she's being bad! Yeah, that makes sense!". 

God I hate this.... In mlp and in the real everyday job.

... I would say then that is not Rarity that is a bad designer, is the writters that are sometimes awful, mostly in the later episodes where we get to see less and less of the good Rarity, the awesome designer and actually generous one, who is capable of looking through you.

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 1

“She’s All Yak” is a rather unusual example that I would not give much weight to because there it’s implied that Yona had a lot of control over her creative process, and even if you don’t interpret the pre-Amity ball sequences that way, making a dress for a yak was something out of Rarity’s experience level.

Something like that gaudy sequins dress in “It Ain’t Easy Being Breezies” I’d call a better example of her worse days. Her design choices seemed to really start to decline from that episode on, but fortunately picked back up in Season 7 or so. That said, she usually has a good eye. 

Edited by OptimisticNeighsayer
  • Brohoof 1

She is a boss designer. She sews on the edge and isnt afraid to go big. Spikes studs and rainbows. She can make it work. Have you ever tried to match anything to a rainbow. You'd think any color can. But in reality no colors can. Yet rarity still makes it work.

'Art of the dress' got me into sewing. 

• Brohoof 1

I think she's a good designer, sure, some of the time you might wonder what she was doing when she made something weird.  That's just what people do, sometimes they want to make something a bit silly or practicing a certain sewing technique that they normally don't do.  It's fun to stretch your horizons a bit and try something different once in a while, helps keep the creative juices flowing.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, I think she's an excellent designer.  I think she's just the tops, man!  Like, totally groovy, man!  She's, like far out and tubular, man!  Totally bitchin', dude!  Like, the bee's knees, baby!

Seriously, I think that the vast majority of her designs are beautiful.  I can't think of any example offhoof of a design that found particularly unattractive.  Maybe the outfit for Sapphire Shores with the dolphin center stitch.  Wasn't super crazy about that one.  Um... oh, I guess her worst design would have to be the hat she wore to meet Maud Pie.  That was asinine, but even Rarity came to that conclusion herself.  But if you always play it safe and never go too far or make mistakes, then you can't be a very good designer because it means you're never growing and experimenting.  Even the best designers in the world can't make a hit every single time.

Honestly, from my own viewpoint, she's a terrific designer. I mean yeah, she has her duds every so often, but damn she more than makes up for them most of the time.

Also, as far as "in-world" is considered; she has expanded her business to two other cities so....yeah; she good!