Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Do Flu Shots Really Prevent You From Getting The Flu?

EpicEnergy

I've been thinking about this, as I've heard flu shots don't work sometimes. I haven't yet decided on whether I think flu shots are effective, so I currently won't take a position on this topic.

Anyways, what do you think about the effectiveness of flu shots? Do they really work? Do you get the flu even though you had the flu shot?

My father takes his flu shots every year. Ever since he started, he never had the flu. What I've heard as well is that you may get the flu, specially near the time you take it again because it may no longer be viable. But if you get the flu, it's supposed to be lighter than it would be if you didn't have the shot.

I'd say if you have the money for it or you don't pay to take it, there's no harm in doing so. Otherwise, it's not really necessary but the flu may leave you bedridden.

From what my kid's pediatrician says, the biggest benefit is that it prevents you from carrying it, even if you don't get it otherwise. I haven't caught the flu in years and refused to get the flu shot until that was brought up.

• Brohoof 2

The problem is the flu is highly mutative. There's hundreds of variants of the virus, and each has their own vaccine. When doing the yearly 'flu shot', the vaccine creators have to do an educated guess as to which are the most likely variants that year and mix up the 'shot' from that info. They get do get surprised, mainly when different areas get unexpected variants, but statistically they're about as effective as they can be. Until they figure out a 'universal vaccine', that's the best we can hope for.

• Brohoof 3

I got the flu last winter, even though I had gotten my yearly flu shot. So it definitely isn't 100% effective.

3 hours ago, Kamii said:

But if you get the flu, it's supposed to be lighter than it would be if you didn't have the shot.

I didn't have the flu as bad as some people do... some folks can't keep down fluids at all and end up severely dehydrated. I was in good enough shape to drink enough fluids. So maybe the vaccine had something to do with the severity in my case.

• Brohoof 2

19 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I’m all for vaccinations. I just don’t see the point of getting them annually but maybe that’s just me. 

The reason you have to take the flu shot annually is that the shot is based on the most active, prominent strains for all carriers. That includes: human, avian and others (eg; swine, equine, etc). Different strains flare each year so you need a different multi-strain vaccine.

Personally, I don't get a flu shot because I never get the flu. I haven't had the flu in over 20 years. Now that I've said that, I'll end up sick this year but oh well.

I have no idea, I've never gotten a flu after a flu shot. It can either be the effect are working or I'm just healthy overall.  Since I never miss a flu shot so I can't know for sure.

19 hours ago, AngelDustlicious said:

If they didn't work, do you really think that they'd still give them out?

Sometime it does sometime it doesn't. My sister works as a pharmacist and she said last year about 58% flus shot are ineffective to some people depending their status they are in. So not to alarm anyone here, but the flu shot may only work on certain people but not all.  And also the flu shot may lose it effeteness if you get them late too. 

***Noted: But of course they don't want to say that due to potentially losing money..but at same time I'm NOT encouraging anyone not to take it just because I'm saying this. Just a little awareness.. best to take if you want to be safe than sorry.