Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

science What is snowing like where you live?

Azure Acrylic

1 hour ago, Rainbows2424 said:

Well, people tell me that at -30C I would freeze in 1 second even if I have proper gear on. And, slippery roads is the reason why everyone in that city should get a off road vehicle, like a Land Rover or something.

People live in much colder places than that (IIRC parts of Russia can go to -60C or so), so, with proper clothes you can survive outside. -30C with no wind is not that cold, at least immediately after going outside.

And yea, a 4WD car would be nice when there's snow.

Where I'm from near Denver, Colorado we got over 1 foot of snow about a week ago. Biggest blizzard we've gotten here in a couple of years, which is odd because we usually don't get the really heavy snow until around February. University classes got canceled so I had a longer break than normal for Thanksgiving. :yay:

In the mountains, the snow can get really bad and make the roads impassable. But around Denver the winters seem to have gotten a bit milder over the last few years (with the exception of a couple big storms). Regardless, you need a vehicle with all wheel drive or four wheel drive or you might have some problems getting around when it does snow. That's a big reason why I drive an SUV.

8 hours ago, Prospekt said:

Where I'm from near Denver, Colorado we got over 1 foot of snow about a week ago. Biggest blizzard we've gotten here in a couple of years, which is odd because we usually don't get the really heavy snow until around February. University classes got canceled so I had a longer break than normal for Thanksgiving. :yay:

In the mountains, the snow can get really bad and make the roads impassable. But around Denver the winters seem to have gotten a bit milder over the last few years (with the exception of a couple big storms). Regardless, you need a vehicle with all wheel drive or four wheel drive or you might have some problems getting around when it does snow. That's a big reason why I drive an SUV.

Hmm, Grand Cherokee, BMW X8, or Range Rover? All of these cars are actually pretty rare in my country, because there’s no snow here. And when there’s no snow, you don’t really need an off road vehicle for anything. Well, unless you go to the rainforest areas of the country. Another reason is because of this stupid rule that my place’s governers made which requires all cars over 10 years old to be scrapped. That’s also why I don’t usually see cars from the 1970s or 1950s. I think the oldest car I’ve seen here was a 1946 Mercedes-Benz 170.

15 hours ago, Rainbows2424 said:

Hm, France or Switzerland? The mountains there are pretty high. But, I can’t take wood from random places back here, because I’ll get strange looks from people and it’s probably illegal.

Close enough with Switzerland. I'm from Austria. It'd be illegal to just go out and chop wood here as well (unless you own that part of the forest.. Which sadly I don't as our family's forests are like over 2 hours away). But we have a load of meters still stacked in our garage. However it's on the other side of my property lol. 

6 hours ago, DripMoondrop said:

Close enough with Switzerland. I'm from Austria. It'd be illegal to just go out and chop wood here as well (unless you own that part of the forest.. Which sadly I don't as our family's forests are like over 2 hours away). But we have a load of meters still stacked in our garage. However it's on the other side of my property lol. 

Okay, see garages here are really rare, since my place has only about 720 square kilometers of land to work with. That’s smaller than New York. So to save land my place is full of really really tall buildings and few houses lol. Also, there is not much rainforest in my place, the Europeans chopped them down years ago and what’s left is owned by the current government.

Well I live in the Midwest(Ohio to be exact) and we occasionally get it. Sometimes it’s powder like an inch or so and it doesn’t really stick or stay long. Sometimes it’s a few inches. It’s been a while since we’ve had a few feet of snow. I think we’ve had close to a foot maybe a bit more than that around January this year? I remember when I was much younger we’d get a ton of snow around this time of year. 

3 hours ago, Larksy said:

Well I live in the Midwest(Ohio to be exact) and we occasionally get it. Sometimes it’s powder like an inch or so and it doesn’t really stick or stay long. Sometimes it’s a few inches. It’s been a while since we’ve had a few feet of snow. I think we’ve had close to a foot maybe a bit more than that around January this year? I remember when I was much younger we’d get a ton of snow around this time of year. 

Hmm, Ohio? I ain’t heard much from that place for years, and the only thing I know about there is from pop culture, which is stereotypical.

• 3 weeks later...

@Rainbows2424

Altered this thread’s title for proper grammar ~

I live in northern Illinois and it normally snows during the winter. Winter can be hit or miss here, as some days can be severely cold and some can be pretty warm by winter standards. 

Snow is great! It covers the surrounding area in a beautiful blanket of white, and is fun to play in. Snow isn't fun though when it is mixed with a ton of rain, and the weather becomes dangerous when it starts to ice outside.

• 6 months later...

The few times it has snowed over here, it has been beautiful. :pinkie: I would go to my local hill and sled down it a million times. :-D Unfortunately, it's only snowed and stuck twice in the last decade. :worry:

The only problem is when the road gets very slushy and slippery. :mlp_gag: Seeing the workers clearing it up always reminds me of Winter Wrap-Up. :mlp_yeehaa:

I live in the Rhineland, one of the warmest regions in germany. Snow is not that common here. We usually have every winter a few snow days, but then, the snow is normally really wet and muddy. It can happen, that we got a really cold winter with a lot of really nice snow, but that is more a rarity. And in the last winters, snow became also more and more a rarity. last winter for example, we had only two days with really snow. 

I live in Tennessee, so basically none. I don't miss it though, at least not yet. I'm from Michigan where we got a lot more, but it just ended up being a hassle, shoveling your driveway and driving on ice.

Global warming hit real hard in Wroclaw. It's rarely ever snowing here, so majority of winter is just grey and sad. I remember it wasn't like that around 10 years ago.