Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I Have OCD When It Comes To...

Venomous

We all have a degree of OCD. What are you OCD with?

For me, it’s placing dirty dishes into the dishwasher. All silverware must be placed upright and strictly in the bottom section. Plates can only be placed in the bottom as well. Glasses can only be placed in the upper section and have to be placed upside down. If I see anything outside of this, I have the undying urge to change it and it straight up frustrates me when my parents don’t follow my method. 

• Brohoof 2

There are so many things my parents do like that that annoy me, but I suddenly can't remember most of them :yeahno:

I don't like it when people put something in a spot it's not supposed to be in, especially when that spot is a whole two feet away. That happens a lot in places like Walmart, on the rare occasion I leave my house.

I do actually have OCD, which I've been on medication on for about two years. The worst quirk I had was constantly checking whether the curtains were closed completely, because I was paranoid that people could see through small gaps.

Edited by Cash In

I have OCD when it comes to vacuuming. I can't seem to remember where I already ran the vacuum.

I think I would be cured if the vacuum could remember where it were last. It's more of an issue that I seem to see dirt where there are no dirt, and keep running over the same spot more than once.

• Brohoof 2

I've thought for some time I might actually have OCD, though I don't have a diagnosis... At the very least I have several of the symptoms. The most obvious being double (or triple or quadruple) checking things and excessive hand washing (though I don't seem to do it quite as much as I used to).

• Brohoof 7

3 minutes ago, Tacodidra said:

I've thought for some time I might actually have OCD, though I don't have a diagnosis... At the very least I have several of the symptoms. The most obvious being double (or triple or quadruple) checking things and excessive hand washing (though I don't seem to do it quite as much as I used to).

Yay :yay:@Tacodidra posting in General Discussion! Thank you!

• Brohoof 2

I have diagnosed OCD, so it can be rough some days. One of my lesser triggers is when someone moves something of mine out of its designated spot. I have a place for everything, so it drives me nuts sometimes.

• Brohoof 1

City placements when playing Civilization 5. I always have to build them on places where they look good on the map. I get triggered when a rival civilization suddenly plops down one of their own cities in a really ugly location near my borders.

• Brohoof 2

11 hours ago, Bakugou Is My Man ❤ said:

We all have a degree of OCD. What are you OCD with?

OCD is an anxiety disorder, and causes much suffering for those of us who have it. It fills my head with constant, persistent, unwanted thoughts, and makes me feel (unreasonably and often) that the people and things I care about, and my own life, are in constant danger that can only be avoided through doing certain mental and/or physical tasks. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, because it can make otherwise pleasant situations unpleasant, and generally makes life more difficult than it would be without another person in your head you can't get rid of. 

In other words, I am utterly triggered because I am a snowflake and I don't know what to think about people using my mental disorder as a slang term for being kind of neat. 

• Brohoof 2

I used to be like this when I was a kid so I understand where people are coming from. For something like disinfecting your own bathroom doorknobs, counters and facets (if you share it with someone) to cleaning your kitchen often, that's completely fine. For something like checking locks often, I think you should check twice and leave it alone. It should go away with age, it really should. From my experience, gaining more confidence in yourself suppresses ocd significantly too.

I wouldn't call it OCD, but as for things that I am obsessed with in a non-mental disorder way, I'd say I'm pretty obsessive about keeping my routines that I have going without interruption. I get stressed and aggravated when my routines get out of order, especially my routine of when I let my dog out and when I feed her. Those are a combination of feeling bad for making her wait and also messing up my routine, though.

I have to double/triple check a TON of things, like if my garage closed or if my doors are locked. It can be very frustrating when I'm already in bed and suddenly I feel the mega strong urge to check all of my doors downstairs. Happens every time :scoots:

• Brohoof 2

I’m not that picky but..

490ED1FB-61AE-4C24-9412-80410544224B.gif.3684bca137f91630bbccbffe9cf1f573.gif

So generally, misplacement of things or people‘s incompetent.

With all due respect, this topic have no intention to offend anyone with an actual disorder. It’s just simply a discussion about our ticks. Although we can go along with “OC ticks” per se.

I’m afraid of oversleeping so I have to double/triple check if my alarms are turned on, if they’re set to AM and not PM, and if my phone’s sound is turned on. Too many times one of these things was missing :P 

Nowadays I don’t have to get up nearly as early, and my body will wake up early enough on its own, but it’s still a habit I stick with just in case if I happen to have anything I need to do before 11am or so the next day.

6 hours ago, Olly said:

OCD is an anxiety disorder, and causes much suffering for those of us who have it. It fills my head with constant, persistent, unwanted thoughts, and makes me feel (unreasonably and often) that the people and things I care about, and my own life, are in constant danger that can only be avoided through doing certain mental and/or physical tasks. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, because it can make otherwise pleasant situations unpleasant, and generally makes life more difficult than it would be without another person in your head you can't get rid of. 

In other words, I am utterly triggered because I am a snowflake and I don't know what to think about people using my mental disorder as a slang term for being kind of neat. 

I know what it is. I studied psychology for two years at university. I know that Obsessive-compulsive disorder is a legitimate mental disorder. I was diagnosed with it by a licensed psychiatrist when I was seventeen years old and have been taking medication for it ever since. This isn’t me mocking those with the disorder or trying to “trigger” them. This is a question people can answer even if they don’t struggle with OCD.

:mlp_smug:

• Brohoof 1

• 8 months later...
On 12/8/2019 at 9:58 AM, Tacodidra said:

Same. Literally the same thing. It just hasn't affected my quality of life enough to be considered more than a byproduct of my anxiety, but it has noticeably gotten worse. :/

I always have to do every chore the exact same way each time. I can't vary. Take cleaning the bathroom. It HAS to be mirror, window, sink, toilet, tiles, tub, floor. I am completely unable to do it in any other order. In all honesty, just thi9nking about doing it in the wrong order triggers me a bit (Hate the term trigger, but it applies)

If I'm in the middle of one thing, and someone tries to get me to do something else, I get pretty close to having an anxiety attack. That's a big part of the reason I no longer work, and am a good old fashioned house wife! If I was doing a job and a supervisor started trying to tell me to do it a different way, I would get all upset!

Oddly, if I'm doing something like relaxing, reading, talking (among other things with my husband ^_^) I'm okay with change. If I'm working, everything has to be EXACT!

( know I am darn lucky to have someone that understands me!)

On 12/8/2019 at 2:18 PM, Olly said:

^I completely agree with this and it’s very accurately described.^ OCD apparently has several different aspects and none of them are good. Some are a matter of being particularly fastidious and obsessing over little details to maintain order. But this kind of OCD described by @Olly is crippling. I had it for years growing up and even though I’ve overcome it, I still have a brain that sometimes wants to get caught on certain thoughts or actions. I have control now but back in the day it felt like my brain was broken and I could do nothing about it. The brain, being central to human consciousness, must be functional because without that functionality only chaos exists. And since the brain is also responsible for perception of reality it can just as easily skew that perception into a total lie and make it convincing to the point you feel enslaved by this false reality it creates. When I struggled with this affliction, I wasn’t aware there was medication for it, so I had to defeat it by logic and reason. I sympathize with anyone struggling with this crippling disorder.

• Brohoof 1