Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media RIP Caroll Spinney

TheAnimationFanatic

This is just a hard hit on so many childhood moments I had watching Sesame Street. I've always liked Big Bird, but Oscar the Grouch is another story. Matt Vogel's been good with Big Bird too, but the one I saw as a kid was Carol.

• Brohoof 1

R.I.P. Caroll Spinney. Arguably, one of his most impactful moments was during Jim Henson's funeral back in 1990 where he sang Kermit's iconic song as Big Bird. He even said that he tried really hard not to cry when he sung that song at the time.

• Brohoof 1

Out of all the characters, aside from Elmo, Big Bird and Oscar are probably the two most iconic in Sesame Street's 50-year history. Their voices and mannerisms are distinguishable, and Caroll Spinney helped bring them both to life. He, Jim Henson, and Will Lee (Mr. Hooper) are back together again. :(

@TheAnimationFanatic @SaburoDaimando @Aurora Wolf @Renegade the Unicorn @CloudMistDragon @Ganondorf8 @Tacodidra @PoisonClaw

A few years ago, Spinney did an AMA on Reddit, and he told one of the most beautiful stories I ever read. Please be prepared for some tissues.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 6

I just found out. I'm glad he made it to the 50th anniversary. What a sweet man, and just think of probably millions of children he helped learn over the last 5 decades, including all of us. We were so lucky to be here while he performed. 

• Brohoof 2

11 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Out of all the characters, aside from Elmo, Big Bird and Oscar are probably the two most iconic in Sesame Street's 50-year history. Their voices and mannerisms are distinguishable, and Caroll Spinney helped bring them both to life. He, Jim Henson, and Will Lee (Mr. Hooper) are back together again. :(

@TheAnimationFanatic @SaburoDaimando @Aurora Wolf @Renegade the Unicorn @CloudMistDragon @Ganondorf8 @Tacodidra @PoisonClaw

A few years ago, Spinney did an AMA on Reddit, and he told one of the most beautiful stories I ever read. Please be prepared for some tissues.

That's beautiful.  :( 

• Brohoof 1