Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

critique wanted I'm a New Artist and I Need Help.

applesjck

Alright, so I've been drawing for about two weeks and I am in desperate need of some constructive criticism. Now that I'm getting the basics down I'm not entirely sure where to go/what to do now, so I could really use some help! :mlp_yeehaa: 

Here's an uncoloured drawing of AJ! It's not perfect, but once again I am pretty new at all of this.

image0.jpeg

• Brohoof 5

14 minutes ago, applesjck said:

Alright, so I've been drawing for about two weeks and I am in desperate need of some constructive criticism. Now that I'm getting the basics down I'm not entirely sure where to go/what to do now, so I could really use some help! :mlp_yeehaa: 

Here's an uncoloured drawing of AJ! It's not perfect, but once again I am pretty new at all of this.

image0.jpeg

First off, I would like to congratulate you for your good job. For a beginner, you're doing really good.

Now, let's see what to work on:

1. Ok, I think there's no need to point it out, but the hat seems a bit weird due perspective. If you have a close look at your own avatar, her hat should be more tilted, in a way the back part should actually be resting on the back of her neck over her mane. The wing should also be more, hrm, wide on the front, in a way the middle part of the hat should be the one that looks thicker than the rest, since is the part which folds the most.
  2. The left frontleg (the one that's stepping on the ground) is a bit too wide backwards. Usually, the FiM style has the opposite to that, meaning the tip from the front of the hoof should be the one that seems a bit longer than the back part. Also, the leg should probably be a bit thicker given the rest of the legs look thicker and it's on the front too, so it should look thicker than the right one that, due perspective, is behind.
  3. The folding of the right frontleg looks a bit weird. I think the elbow shouldn't be so noticeable, given the hoof should cover it almost entirely due the perspective.
  4. I'm glad you're aware of how equine anathomy works. It's good to see you recalled horses and ponies have the knees opposite to humans. The only thing that bugs me about it is that the knees are a bit too up, when they should be a bit lower.

All in all, really good job! Keep it up!

Edited by Jesse Terrence
  • Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Jesse Terrence said:

First off, I would like to congratulate you for your good job. For a beginner, you're doing really good.

Now, let's see what to work on:

1. Ok, I think there's no need to point it out, but the hat seems a bit weird due perspective. If you have a close look at your own avatar, her hat should be more tilted, in a way the back part should actually be resting on the back of her neck over her mane. The wing should also be more, hrm, wide on the front, in a way the middle part of the hat should be the one that looks thicker than the rest, since is the part which folds the most.
  2. The left frontleg (the one that's stepping on the ground) is a bit too wide backwards. Usually, the FiM style has the opposite to that, meaning the tip from the front of the hoof should be the one that seems a bit longer than the back part. Also, the leg should probably be a bit thicker given the rest of the legs look thicker and it's on the front too, so it should look thicker than the right one that, due perspective, is behind.
  3. The folding of the right frontleg looks a bit weird. I think the elbow shouldn't be so noticeable, given the hoof should cover it almost entirely due the perspective.
  4. I'm glad you're aware of how equine anathomy works. It's good to see you recalled horses and ponies have the knees opposite to humans. The only thing that bugs me about it is that the knees are a bit too up, when they should be a bit lower.

All in all, really good job! Keep it up!

Thank you! I'll keep this all in mine for my next drawing! ^_^

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, applesjck said:

image0.jpeg

Wow! You're certainly better than I was when I started drawing horses. 

14 hours ago, applesjck said:

image0.jpeg

Disclaimer I'm judging it based on the show's style :maud:

Ok, so.... 

The legs arent thick enough

The hind legs could have some rework

The muzzle is a bit too long

And

The body is also a bit too long

That's all!

It's ok to use your own style! So, you might not want to follow the exact same style as the show's style :adorkable:

That is definitely better than what I made when I drew ponies for the first time :twi:

Heck, even mine didnt look like an adorable looking pone, more of.....a deformed abomination from Chernobyl 

So....good job on making it look like a reasonable looking pony! unlike mine....

Pretty nice for someone who is still new

Keep improving! :mlp_yeehaa:

44 minutes ago, Kevin Tang said:

Disclaimer I'm judging it based on the show's style :maud:

Ok, so.... 

The legs arent thick enough

The hind legs could have some rework

The muzzle is a bit too long

And

The body is also a bit too long

That's all!

It's ok to use your own style! So, you might not want to follow the exact same style as the show's style :adorkable:

That is definitely better than what I made when I drew ponies for the first time :twi:

Heck, even mine didnt look like an adorable looking pone, more of.....a deformed abomination from Chernobyl 

So....good job on making it look like a reasonable looking pony! unlike mine....

Pretty nice for someone who is still new

Keep improving! :mlp_yeehaa:

Thank you! :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 2

Hi, Nice work for a starter! I'm not going to critique  your style since this style is different and yours. There’s nothing wrong having your own style of drawing! Artist lesson number one!

However I have noticed some minor errors when it comes to structures so here’s the format to help you get started.

image0.thumb.jpeg.281a210dc89592e7e467654ea3a937e5.thumb.jpg.41320a5eb2880f387e135334c07f26b7.jpg

Let me know if you have questions but I hope this helps! :) 

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, TBD said:

Hi, Nice work for a starter! I'm not going to critique  your style since this style is different and yours. There’s nothing wrong having your own style of drawing! Artist lesson number one!

However I have noticed some minor errors when it comes to structures so here’s the format to help you get started.

image0.thumb.jpeg.281a210dc89592e7e467654ea3a937e5.thumb.jpg.41320a5eb2880f387e135334c07f26b7.jpg

Let me know if you have questions but I hope this helps! :) 

Thank you, this helped a lot! :mlp_yeehaa:

• Brohoof 2