Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

New OC!

applesjck

I just finished up a new OC and I think she's super cute! She's not very fleshed out yet (I still have to give her a name :ButtercupLaugh:) but so far I really like her!

Critique is welcome, but please be kind about it! :mlp_yeehaa: I'm still very new to this whole drawing thing.

Update: her name is Cosmic Stone! (thank you @Frosted Heart for helping me out with the name ^_^)

image1.jpeg

image0 (4).jpeg

Edited by applesjck
  • Brohoof 8

58 minutes ago, applesjck said:

I just finished up a new OC and I think she's super cute! She's not very fleshed out yet (I still have to give her a name :ButtercupLaugh:) but so far I really like her!

Critique is welcome, but please be kind about it! :mlp_yeehaa: I'm still very new to this whole drawing thing.

image1.jpeg

image0 (4).jpeg

That's adorable! I love it so much. 

The left eye should be a bit smaller than the right, since the left one is slightly farther away from the other (if that makes sense).

Here's an example of the whole eye thing with my OC, Emerald Heart:

901226466_EmeraldHeart.png.b2677f6017435150f8b7bc00f57ad24a.png 

Do you get what I'm talking about?

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Frosted Heart said:

That's adorable! I love it so much. 

The left eye should be a bit smaller than the right, since the left one is slightly farther away from the other (if that makes sense).

Here's an example of the whole eye thing with my OC, Emerald Heart:

901226466_EmeraldHeart.png.b2677f6017435150f8b7bc00f57ad24a.png 

Do you get what I'm talking about?

Yeah, I get it! Thank you!

I’ve definitely been struggling with the whole eye perspective thing. Eyes are hard to draw. :adorkable:

• Brohoof 3

3 minutes ago, Frosted Heart said:

@applesjck

Random sketch I made of ur OC. 

The names "Cosmic Stone" and "Starbright" came to mind also...

20191210_224318.thumb.jpg.6e4ded7d4eb4c8ce90fe88ebbf2bfa74.jpg

So cute!!! :wub:

I really love the name Cosmic Stone, I might have to snatch that one (if that’s okay with you of course)! :BrightMacContent:

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, applesjck said:

So cute!!! :wub:

I really love the name Cosmic Stone, I might have to snatch that one (if that’s okay with you of course)! :BrightMacContent:

Of course you can! I wouldn't have suggested it if I didn't want you to use it 

Aww, that's even better than the last one!

The only niggle I have is the torso/waist, espeically the stomach. She kind of looks like she's sucking in her tummy to look thinner. If you're trying to get as close to show style as possible, ponies usually have a bit of downwards curve to their bellies:

Spoiler

latest?cb=20190410214815

Even the thinnest ponies like Fleur here have flat stomachs, not inward curves:

Spoiler

original.jpg

Oh and check this out. It can help you get a better grasp on the skeletal structure of a horse by comparing it to your own skeleton:

3eb54c1b6bad30374d8cbc9dcc14b4fa.jpg

Edited by JingLBabe
  • Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, JingLBabe said:

Aww, that's even better than the last one!

The only niggle I have is the torso/waist, espeically the stomach. She kind of looks like she's sucking in her tummy to look thinner. If you're trying to get as close to show style as possible, ponies usually have a bit of downwards curve to their bellies:

Hide contents

latest?cb=20190410214815

Even the thinnest ponies like Fleur here have flat stomachs, not inward curves:

Hide contents

original.jpg

Oh and check this out. It can help you get a better grasp on the skeletal structure of a horse by comparing it to your own skeleton:

3eb54c1b6bad30374d8cbc9dcc14b4fa.jpg

YES THANK YOU! I knew something was wrong with the tummy, I just couldn’t figure out what it was.

7 hours ago, Frosted Heart said:

Of course you can! I wouldn't have suggested it if I didn't want you to use it 

Thank you!!! :D

• Brohoof 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2019 at 10:14 PM, applesjck said:

Update: her name is Cosmic Stone! (thank you @Frosted Heart for helping me out with the name ^_^)

image1.jpeg

image0 (4).jpeg

I must say that this is pretty good for a first character sketch; and don't worry, art is difficult for everyone at first, you just have to keep practicing. I especially like the colour choice for your OC, the different shades of blue go really well together. I do have one piece of advice, but you don't necessarily have to take it. The thing I want to comment on is the eye colour. Most of your OC is blue, and the eyes are a darker shade of blue. I like to think that the eyes are shining beacons which can help to others to identify the character more easily; but if the eyes are a similar colour to the rest of the body, they will simply blend in. Take Applejack for example, she has mostly bland colours in her mane, body, and even her hat. Her eyes, however, are a brilliant green which stand out from the rest of her features, but ultimately tie together to create a great appearance. Since your OC has a yellow comet as a cutie mark, you could make her eyes golden to reflect the stars she gazes upon each night (If that's what she does). Hope this helps, and just remember to keep practicing. :)

• Brohoof 1

Really good drawings @applesjck! I like your drawing style!

I usually draw in software so I can correct many things as I draw. Uneven sizes, different shapes, all can be adjusted. Ctrl+Z (undo) is like the most used command while drawing. But also using a lot of layers, and drawing a new version of a previous sketch, and sometimes realizing the last sketch was better. It is quite fun. I am using a tablet to draw.

• Brohoof 2

8 minutes ago, Splashee said:

Really good drawings @applesjck! I like your drawing style!

I usually draw in software so I can correct many things as I draw. Uneven sizes, different shapes, all can be adjusted. Ctrl+Z (undo) is like the most used command while drawing. But also using a lot of layers, and drawing a new version of a previous sketch, and sometimes realizing the last sketch was better. It is quite fun. I am using a tablet to draw.

I don’t have any software to draw on, sadly. :adorkable: I wish I did though! I hate drawing on paper. Mistakes can be hard to erase. :awwthanks:

• Brohoof 2

On 12/10/2019 at 9:14 PM, applesjck said:

image1.jpeg

image0 (4).jpeg

Oh ship she’s got the same-ish cutie mark my OC has :love: ! Also a blue pegasus oc Lul. Nicely done. Need to make a backstory now ;) .

https://www.deviantart.com/winginwolf/art/Comet-Streak-with-Goggles-473642645

Edited by WWolf
  • Brohoof 1