Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You Want The Upcoming Series "Pony Life" To Be Cancelled?

EpicEnergy

10 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

What are you talking about? It seems like you are trying to start a fight, and I don't want one, so...

BYE!

I'm a simple fan. I see a fanboy police of vice and virtue, I gank them. You fear debate since all you want to do is browbeat others with fake positivity. You seriously have no idea why some fans act like that? Come on. You haven't even tried to understand. Yeah, you better run.

14 hours ago, Bas said:

I know fans react, but I don't get it, TBH. They are so busy with being angry that they simply don't see they aren't missing out on anything if they don't watch it.

What's the difference of PL not existing and you not watching it/ignoring it exist? It doesn't make a diff to you if you give it acceptance that way.

"Don't like it, don't watch/buy it" is a core concept behind "Get woke, go broke".

That said, Pony Life is just a bandwagon kid show passenger, nothing more. However, the ire of fans follows a similar principle. Fear of replacement. Frustrating that resources are being spent on a very different concept. Is that so hard to understand?

6 hours ago, Bas said:

Isn't that for every viewer to decide?

Also, you make the assumption Pony Life takes any resources away. You don't even seem to take it as a possibility that the resources would be unspent otherwise. Or that Pony Life would be the future of MLP Gens.

It is for the maker to decide. You can decide to see water in a desert. Go drink your fill of sand. Do you think they care about our opinion? The only merit lies within prediction.

Who's making assumptions, I wonder. I have provided you with the interpretation of fear. My own thoughts have been mentioned in my original post.

As for the future: Lol-so-randomness is like a pandemic disease. It comes in cycles. The second one is almost over. Or should I say the third.

22 hours ago, Bas said:

I know fans react, but I don't get it, TBH. They are so busy with being angry that they simply don't see they aren't missing out on anything if they don't watch it.

What's the difference of PL not existing and you not watching it/ignoring it exist? It doesn't make a diff to you if you give it acceptance that way.

Well said.

It's like I say. To me, bad episodes are at least capable of inspiring people to do better. The only real terrible episodes are the forgettable ones that leave no impression whatsoever.

Even if Pony Life would be bad by certain standards, it could still get people talking/creating something new.

Until then, let's wait and see

17 hours ago, Will Guide said:

Well said.

It's like I say. To me, bad episodes are at least capable of inspiring people to do better. The only real terrible episodes are the forgettable ones that leave no impression whatsoever.

Even if Pony Life would be bad by certain standards, it could still get people talking/creating something new.

Until then, let's wait and see

Do you want to know how the form of utter acceptance you worship looks like? Ask Bravestarr. Her second name is oblivion, and she is my kind of deity. Ironic, isn't it? Those who advocate for everything are, hopefully, merely those who have forgotten the past "everythings". To promulgate success, one must also understand failure.

On 12/16/2019 at 10:08 AM, Goat-kun said:

It is equally unfair to those that like the first iteration to spend resources on a completely different iteration.

Wait, wait, wait... That makes no sense. I liked MLP:FiM, but Pony Life just existing doesn't take any resources from me. I have zero obligation to spend time or money on the show.

@cuteycindyhoney is correct. It's not cool to be all elitist about taste in entertainment. I probably won't enjoy Pony Life, but if someone else does, good for them. I'm glad when people can find something that makes them smile. On the other side of the coin, I don't have to waste time or money on something that won't make me smile.

Edited by JingLBabe

3 hours ago, JingLBabe said:

Wait, wait, wait... That makes no sense. I liked MLP:FiM, but Pony Life just existing doesn't take any resources from me. I have zero obligation to spend time or money on the show.

@cuteycindyhoney is correct. It's not cool to be all elitist about taste in entertainment. I probably won't enjoy Pony Life, but if someone else does, good for them. I'm glad when people can find something that make them smile. On the other side of the coin, I don't have to waste time or money on something that won't make me smile.

Sigh. Can't you read the whole thing and then pester me with over-the top reactions. The third sentence. It's stupid to claim that a personal opinion about the show has anything to do with somebody else. Saying that your reaction to Pony Life is unfair cause some Bozo the Clown over there has a completely different reaction is moronic. There. Happy?

The rest is me trying to explain the reactions of other fans to another group of fans which is turning out to be a more futile task than explaining Gnosticism to a teapot. Meanwhile, I'm also trying to hint at the horrible truth that there is some shit out there that is objectively bad and that some fans should can their fake enlightenment shtick and just deal with it.

P.S: and it's not your resources. It's H-Bro resources. They are paying for this thing, and last time I checked they didn't have infinite piles of cash lying around.

29 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

Can't you read the whole thing

Oh I read it. You completely misread what @cuteycindyhoney said, which is why your response makes no sense.

They said demanding the cancelation of a show because you don't like it is unfair to those who do. And it is. Just hating the show doesn't affect anyone, you're right about that. But working towards taking it from others because it doesn't meet your standards goes beyond that.

Meanwhile, I'm also trying to hint at the horrible truth that there is some shit out there that is objectively bad

Ehh... debatable. I'd definitely say there are things in the world that are objectively bad morally, but objectively bad entertainment? There's plenty of badly made pieces of entertainment that people enjoy specifically BECAUSE it's bad. The Room makes tons of people laugh despite (and because of) it being total garbage.

I mean, I get it. I've always said that more should be expected out of "kid's entertainment". They're the most impressionable of audiences, so why would you want them to constantly absorb garbage? But on the other hand, nothing wrong with liking something stupid once in a while either. When I was a kid, I liked the cartoon Cow and Chicken. It was SUPER stupid, but it was fun.

over-the top reactions

My "over-the-top" reaction was positively mild. If you can't handle THAT... well, I thought you were made of sterner stuff. :bedeyes:

They are paying for this thing, and last time I checked they didn't have infinite piles of cash lying around.

And... what's your point? Why do you care what a giant company does with it's money? If they make enough stupid decisions, they go bankrupt. That's their problem. But I highly doubt one stupid Teen Titans GO-ish spinoff is going to tank them.

Edited by JingLBabe
  • Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, Bas said:

Yeah, that's almost different from taking an old 80/90s cartoon, rewriting it and changing it to a more anime-eyed style, I guess. And it even dared to have quality watching time for adults.

Prove a meaningful difference.

20 hours ago, JingLBabe said:

Oh I read it. You completely misread what @cuteycindyhoney said, which is why your response makes no sense.

They said demanding the cancelation of a show because you don't like it is unfair to those who do. And it is. Just hating the show doesn't affect anyone, you're right about that. But working towards taking it from others because it doesn't meet your standards goes beyond that.

How is it unfair that someone wishes a subset of an IP that they don't like gets canceled? Diablo Immortal comes to mind. I'm sure there are many people with phones who enjoy the damn thing, yet Blizzard made an oopsie and announced it in a way that made everyone feel like it's a replacement for Diablo 4. Lots of people complained, and rightfully so. It was a PR disaster. Then the usual suspects crawled out of the woodwork and started demeaning Diablo fans for their attitude in the same manner as @cuteycindyhoney. Star Wars Fans of Fandom Menace faction are also cheering right now as it seems that the Disney Trilogy is going to crash and burn into obscurity. Is that unfair to those who like it? It is not. What was unfair was the attitude of Disney and jurnos who went on a crusade against fans who were expressing their negative opinion.

In the end, the only thing unfair here is  attitude towards those with such opinions. If you want empathy, begin with yourself or have your malice returned. And don't worry. I can handle you ;)

Ehh... debatable. I'd definitely say there are things in the world that are objectively bad morally, but objectively bad entertainment? There's plenty of badly made pieces of entertainment that people enjoy specifically BECAUSE it's bad. The Room makes tons of people laugh despite (and because of) it being total garbage.

I mean, I get it. I've always said that more should be expected out of "kid's entertainment". They're the most impressionable of audiences, so why would you want them to constantly absorb garbage? But on the other hand, nothing wrong with liking something stupid once in a while either. When I was a kid, I liked the cartoon Cow and Chicken. It was SUPER stupid, but it was fun.

Yet we all like it cause it is BAD. We can point out why it's bad. It is true though, that some bad things are bad in the right way. Let's call them happy accidents.

And... what's your point? Why do you care what a giant company does with it's money? If they make enough stupid decisions, they go bankrupt. That's their problem. But I highly doubt one stupid Teen Titans GO-ish spinoff is going to tank them.

You know, if I had my way with MLP I'd just turn it into short tea party YT videos in the spirit of Monster High. And that's my position. In other words: the evil corporate fat cat in me agrees with the current corporate handling as far as general direction is concerned. I do not agree with the theme though. Pinkie is too messy and incoherent. I'd go with Rarity boutique instead.

I care cause I use their money as a compass that steers my own position. Understand that this debate here is not about them. It's about us.

23 minutes ago, Bas said:

Let's simply ask it this way: Would MLP be even half as popular today if they simply made the exact same series as back then? No. Hell, there were even barely any google results for MLP prior to FIM. This basically proves FIM did do A LOT different to attract all these viewers and fans.

Have you watched G1?

Guess this reply is a bit lacking. If MLP was not as popular as you claim, then we wouldn't get G4 to begin with. G1 slice/adventure approach is quite similar to that of FIM. Of course there are discrepancies due to the period, but you cannot claim that G4 isn't carrying G1's torch.

Edited by Goat-kun
my spirit animal is fat cat, not fat can
  • Brohoof 1

19 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

If you want empathy, begin with yourself or have your malice returned.

Oh, I totally have empathy for people that dislike where a product is taken. But those who wish to TAKE things that are being enjoyed by others because it does not meet their standards is not okay. You can dislike something all you want, but attempting to take it away from those that care is beyond the pale.

And we already had this discussion loop twice now. You have indicated that you think it is okay to call for the destruction of something others care about. I have indicated that that is wrong.

That is an irreconcilable difference of opinion. So the conversation is going to have to end here, or else we’ll just keep stating the same cycle of, “It’s right”, “It’s wrong”, “It’s right”, ad infinitum. That’s a legitimate waste of time.

So just to restate my position in bullet points for clarity:

• Disliking/hating media = okay and perfectly fine
  • Attempting to take media away from those that bought and are enjoying it = not okay and not fine
  • Brohoof 1

Pretty funny how this topic derailed from "hey, should this experimental in-between series be cancelled?" to people arguing over someone's stance on it

Oh internet, you silly beast you, I can always rely on you to make me laugh x3

5 hours ago, JingLBabe said:

Oh, I totally have empathy for people that dislike where a product is taken. But those who wish to TAKE things that are being enjoyed by others because it does not meet their standards is not okay. You can dislike something all you want, but attempting to take it away from those that care is beyond the pale.

And we already had this discussion loop twice now. You have indicated that you think it is okay to call for the destruction of something others care about. I have indicated that that is wrong.

That is an irreconcilable difference of opinion. So the conversation is going to have to end here, or else we’ll just keep stating the same cycle of, “It’s right”, “It’s wrong”, “It’s right”, ad infinitum. That’s a legitimate waste of time.

So just to restate my position in bullet points for clarity:

• Disliking/hating media = okay and perfectly fine
  • Attempting to take media away from those that bought and are enjoying it = not okay and not fine

I believe you misunderstood. Not even the owner company should be allowed to take something you've paid for away from you, but canceling further production is another matter entirely.

20 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

I believe you misunderstood. Not even the owner company should be allowed to take something you've paid for away from you, but canceling further production is another matter entirely.

mhmm, tis why I always tell people to invest in Physical copies of video games

Because everyone knows that eventually, pretty much every single digital game will be taken down one day.

37 minutes ago, fare67t said:

mhmm, tis why I always tell people to invest in Physical copies of video games

Because everyone knows that eventually, pretty much every single digital game will be taken down one day.

That's where I'm coming from. You buy it, you own it. It's just common sense, and it's a totally different beast than what I'm trying to convey in here. Some people around here seem to think that it's a moral imperative that all content should continue infinitely as long as at least one person likes it, or that's how it seems. I mean, I have low expectations, but even I do not think there's any hater here stupid enough to advocate for companies' ability to forcibly take away something you own. I'm only saying that fans who fight for the cancellation of content they clearly don't like isn't something that should be perceived as unfair. If you have something positive to say about the thing you love, say it. We'll have a debate. The person I attacked wasn't trying to defend Pony Life with any sort of fact or theory. They went straight for the fans. "It looks so bad it needs to be canceled" ain't peak argumentation but at least it's something. Heck, I did a better job defending this thing than they did. And I'm the bad guy. Buck it. I AM the bad guy! :P

5 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

That's where I'm coming from. You buy it, you own it. It's just common sense, and it's a totally different beast than what I'm trying to convey in here. Some people around here seem to think that it's a moral imperative that all content should continue infinitely as long as at least one person likes it, or that's how it seems. I mean, I have low expectations, but even I do not think there's any hater here stupid enough to advocate for companies' ability to forcibly take away something you own. I'm only saying that fans who fight for the cancellation of content they clearly don't like isn't something that should be perceived as unfair. If you have something positive to say about the thing you love, say it. We'll have a debate. The person I attacked wasn't trying to defend Pony Life with any sort of fact or theory. They went straight for the fans. "It looks so bad it needs to be canceled" ain't peak argumentation but at least it's something. Heck, I did a better job defending this thing than they did. And I'm the bad guy. Buck it. I AM the bad guy! :P

yeeeeeep, I've always hated that mentality of "oh, something looks super bad / some person in the company did something stupid, BOYCOTT THIS AND EVERYTHING THEY EVER MAKE!"

6 minutes ago, fare67t said:

yeeeeeep, I've always hated that mentality of "oh, something looks super bad / some person in the company did something stupid, BOYCOTT THIS AND EVERYTHING THEY EVER MAKE!"

Well, if something looks super bad one has every reason to complain. This isn't the dawn of television. We have at least some experience in how things will turn out.

Another thing is the separation of art from the artist. Cancel culture is not about how good a product is. It's about political social media police of vice and virtue screaming and everyone who dares to have the "wrong" opinion. Cancel culture =/= fans complaining about stuff

I can see why people are skeptical, but I'm willing to give this a chance. For god's sake people, it hasn't even come out yet. 

Edited by Cash In

Nah. I'm not interested, yeah, but it shouldn't be cancelled so soon after its announcement.

I mean, people can dislike whatever, but it bugs me when some compare Pony Life to Teen Titans Go. Like seriously, TTG is old news.

I'm surprised that they were so quick to take it down, just for getting some thumbs down...they have to be prepared for criticism in their line of work, and I don't think they handled it very well.

That being said, I wouldn't mind Pony Life at all, seeing as I still feel unsatisfied after Season 9 and how they chose to wrap up the entire series...I'm desperate for content that settles! :worry:

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...
On 2019-12-12 at 8:25 AM, Kevin Tang said:

They might look like bootleg version of the ponies we know and love, but ponies are still ponies.....and the series already ended....and G5 is still far away in the future....

I dont mind actually >_>

Why would they look like a bootleg? What do they look like? :mlp_confused: