Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ever wish you were mute so you dont have to talk to anyone?

Muffinnz

Ever wish you were mute so you dont have to talk to anyone?

I once had jaw surgery and couldnt speak for about a month or so. It wasnt too big of a deal

Edited by Muffinnz
  • Brohoof 4

I've wondered what it would be like to take a complete vow of silence for a period of time. It'd make work impossible and certain aspects of college difficult, so as interesting as going for weeks/months/years without speaking sounds, I think I'd pass for now. I could learn sign language, but that would defeat the purpose. :P 

• Brohoof 1

Okay, Story Time:

Long ago, back in those olden times we call the Nineteen of Ninety-Eights, I was a guy who had nowhere to go and no one to be with one Christmas Eve.  As driving does wonders for my head, I went for a roll in my '88 Hyundai Excel GLS (Michelle; don't laugh), and cruised the area which I lived in.  A place I'd seen many times came into view, but I had yet to actually cross the threshold of... the local Hooters restaurant.

Well, because I was naturally curious... and linoleum (ask Buffy The Vampire Slayer series fans)... I decided to take a gander and head inside to try some of their supposedly delicious sightsUH- I mean, stareUM-... okay... because I wanted to see for myself, okay?  I'd NEVER been in one before, so I really wanted to know if there were pretty girls staffed there.  Mind you, I was still a virgin, and had led a rather straight-laced life for much of my teen/young adult years (until about 23 - a different Story Time!)... so, I wanted to see if all the hype was true.

My problem was, I had to navigate my horrible fear of the public, added to the near-crippling self-doubt about having next to zero experience with girls (and much of it bad)... well, let's say I wasn't exactly certain I could speak a word without possibly vomiting all over myself in panic.  So, as I've always been the kid who wanted to grow up to be an actor (ironic, yeah yeah yeah), I decided I would do something to cut down my need to speak at all...

I grabbed a pen and pad from my glove compartment, and made the decision to play mute.

I'll say this; the Hooters I'd chosen to go into was a nice one; it was clean and warm and the air was full of wonderful scents that tempted my tummy.  And the waitresses?  Yes, they were quite lovely... and what's more, they looked like they were really working hard, not just coasting by with the bare minimum.  When a particular redheaded waitress came to ask me my order, I wrote it out on the pad: I was mute, and wanted to know if she minded while I scribbled out my order?

Within fifteen minutes, there were no less than five waitresses at my table.  

For the next two hours, I regaled them with stories I made up on the spot, and entertained them with jokes while I ate the meal I'd gotten.  After one of my sob stories, they actually offered to pay for my meal - but don't worry; I refused, based on the idea that I knew they worked hard for their paycheck, as many waitstaff often does.  Still, I thanked them profusely and they seemed to melt when I smiled gratefully at them.

Without uttering a single word, I'd become the Guest of Honor - what's more, it wasn't for tips, as there were other customers who were spending more on their meals than I was.  I did manage to leave fair tips for the two that took and served my order, and I don't think I spent more than fifteen bucks.  What's more, they had a grand time hanging out with me (and each other, apparently), and I felt better about my lonely holiday.  It was harmless fun, and turned out to be a catalyst for a fun time for more than simply myself.

Sometimes, silence is more than golden, as the old saying goes... sometimes, it's a treasure you can't measure in monetary value.  It's a nod, or a grin, or even just a curious glance of a moment.  Don't misunderstand; I LOVE to communicate... but sometimes silence can go further than words can.  

• Brohoof 6

Honestly, I wouldn't mind because I don't really have much to say to begin with. I remember that at the start of Grade 12, I was a part of the Fundraising Committee for my school. There were often days where I sat at the meetings in absolute dead silence, because I had nothing much to add. 

2 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

Okay, Story Time:

Long ago, back in those olden times we call the Nineteen of Ninety-Eights, I was a guy who had nowhere to go and no one to be with one Christmas Eve.  As driving does wonders for my head, I went for a roll in my '88 Hyundai Excel GLS (Michelle; don't laugh), and cruised the area which I lived in.  A place I'd seen many times came into view, but I had yet to actually cross the threshold of... the local Hooters restaurant.

Well, because I was naturally curious... and linoleum (ask Buffy The Vampire Slayer series fans)... I decided to take a gander and head inside to try some of their supposedly delicious sightsUH- I mean, stareUM-... okay... because I wanted to see for myself, okay?  I'd NEVER been in one before, so I really wanted to know if there were pretty girls staffed there.  Mind you, I was still a virgin, and had led a rather straight-laced life for much of my teen/young adult years (until about 23 - a different Story Time!)... so, I wanted to see if all the hype was true.

My problem was, I had to navigate my horrible fear of the public, added to the near-crippling self-doubt about having next to zero experience with girls (and much of it bad)... well, let's say I wasn't exactly certain I could speak a word without possibly vomiting all over myself in panic.  So, as I've always been the kid who wanted to grow up to be an actor (ironic, yeah yeah yeah), I decided I would do something to cut down my need to speak at all...

I grabbed a pen and pad from my glove compartment, and made the decision to play mute.

I'll say this; the Hooters I'd chosen to go into was a nice one; it was clean and warm and the air was full of wonderful scents that tempted my tummy.  And the waitresses?  Yes, they were quite lovely... and what's more, they looked like they were really working hard, not just coasting by with the bare minimum.  When a particular redheaded waitress came to ask me my order, I wrote it out on the pad: I was mute, and wanted to know if she minded while I scribbled out my order?

Within fifteen minutes, there were no less than five waitresses at my table.  

For the next two hours, I regaled them with stories I made up on the spot, and entertained them with jokes while I ate the meal I'd gotten.  After one of my sob stories, they actually offered to pay for my meal - but don't worry; I refused, based on the idea that I knew they worked hard for their paycheck, as many waitstaff often does.  Still, I thanked them profusely and they seemed to melt when I smiled gratefully at them.

Without uttering a single word, I'd become the Guest of Honor - what's more, it wasn't for tips, as there were other customers who were spending more on their meals than I was.  I did manage to leave fair tips for the two that took and served my order, and I don't think I spent more than fifteen bucks.  What's more, they had a grand time hanging out with me (and each other, apparently), and I felt better about my lonely holiday.  It was harmless fun, and turned out to be a catalyst for a fun time for more than simply myself.

Sometimes, silence is more than golden, as the old saying goes... sometimes, it's a treasure you can't measure in monetary value.  It's a nod, or a grin, or even just a curious glance of a moment.  Don't misunderstand; I LOVE to communicate... but sometimes silence can go further than words can.  

Cool story bro. 

• Brohoof 1

When I was in the hospital the mouth soars were so painful that i couldnt talk.  Now I'm fairly introverted and usually dont like to talk in general. On top of being uber depressed at the likely prospect of dieing any day.

There is a difference between not wanting to talk and not being able to talk. Forcibly mute was not s pleasant experiance. Ive done vows of silence before, those are just fine. My liberty to speak being taken from me, that was not. 

Why not just.... Not talk? I mean, I have tried it before. I think Michael Jackson's kid, Blanket does that nowadays. It's a good way to not have to talk.

I rather choose when I can talk or not, instead of just disable something useful for the rest of my life. But mostly, I love talking (too much).

• Brohoof 2

So like, this one time I was walking home from an appointment and this one guy looked lost that just got off the bus at one of the stops a little bit ahead of where I was walking.  He walks up to me and starts using sign language, if I didn't have my pen and notepad with me I wouldn't have been able to help him at all.  If I was deaf or mute, I'd rather it be in a world where more people know sign language, in this world I think I would be absolutely silent except for talking online or with a small group of people.  Humans are naturally social creatures, even the quietest of us find some sort of way to communicate with others whether it be through letters or, with this new era, computers or some other piece of technology.  I'm grateful for my capacity of language, even if it's limited in some regards.  Lastly, sign language should be taught in public schools like Spanish or French or something.

• Brohoof 1

No, because that's too convenient for everyone else, and then I couldn't complain out loud about how I don't want to talk to people when I eventually get home :laugh:

I prefer to just wander off and spend time alone when I get tired of the world. It's not enough to try shutting them out while staying in the same room.

Even as a rather extreme introvert (that's probably on the autism spectrum), absolutely not. Plus how does that change anything about having to talk to people? You'd still have to communicate even if it isn't with your voice. :huh:

Edited by Le Angel Dust

Haha, funny thing you mention mutes. This year, before we closed the factory, I had a worker in my team who was deaf-mute. You'd think deaf-mutes are less likely to be talkative or anything. Well, sorry to pop your bubble, but the kid would talk to us through signals a lot. Hell, he used to mock us in sign language! And he was a joker! Seriously, the boy would make funny remarks all the time (through signs, but I got to understand him most of the time). And he had a pooty mouth, too. He would insult people and giggle afterwards. Yet, when that wasn't enough for him, well, he would do this weird screetchy sound to call people... hrm, i can't say the word, but you get me, right?

And personally I wouldn't mind being mute. As a matter of fact, I'm trying to formally learn sign language to talk less and make people think I'm a mute myself. It would be soooo funny! :ninjadash:

• Brohoof 1

i was actually diagnosed with selective mutism as a kid (and later social anxiety as an adult)...with that being said: god no, i enjoy being able to talk to people when i'm comfortable doing so

Why would I wish something like that? I think learning to ignore people is just as effective.

Although... I wish I have to power to mute some people because they tend to like to talk bull. A lot. (And in general too. No offense to those who like to talk but I can’t stand people who just talk a lot and who don’t know when to stop.)

Not having the ability to talk would create so many more problems than it would solve. I think for my situation, the better solution is to move somewhere where we don't have this fake southern "niceness" and strangers mind their own business like they should. That way the awkward small talk questions that they ask (that they really don't even care about an answer to, because it's all fake) would never happen to begin with.

Edited by Envy