Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think MLP will become a Keep Circulating the Tapes show someday?

FirePuppy

Many shows come and go over the years, especially ones we are big fans of. One day, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic might end up being one of those shows as well to make room for G5, over the fact that the show ended 2 months ago. What are your thoughts on this?

Definitely not.

The "Keep Circulating the Tapes" trope implies that the material is hard to acquire legally. I just looked up My Little Pony: The Movie (the original 1986 one), and physical and digital copies are readily available for purchase right now. And that was released 30+ years ago.

Edited by JingLBabe
  • Brohoof 2

20 minutes ago, JingLBabe said:

Definitely not.

The "Keep Circulating the Tapes" trope implies that the material is hard to acquire legally. I just looked up My Little Pony: The Movie (the original 1986 one), and physical and digital copies are readily available for purchase right now. And that was released 30+ years ago.

But that movie was kind of out of print from sometime in the 1990s to 2006.

Just now, FirePuppy said:

But that movie was kind of out of print from sometime in the 1990s to 2006.

Hmmm... I'm not really sure. With the digital age we live in, it's really hard to not just instantly find what you're looking for in media.

My mom just today said she wanted to watch the old black and white 1930's/1940's Tarzan movies. I whipped out her iPad, pulled up YouTube, and bam, there it was. I just looked up the 2008 Knight Rider Reboot (which everyone but me hated it seems, XD), and there was the DVD set for it.

If, and only if, they make a continuation of the series in some form.

When I think of an old show that still gets watched to this day, it's done one or two things. While it was being made, it was on the air for a really long time, or it's connected to a relatively modern day version. MLP has gotten its decade, but all things considered, it wasn't a record breaker in terms of viewership or anything. We are a very specific fanbase, not a general audience that this will have mass appeal for. More relatable shows like sitcoms, crime dramas, ect, have a much better chance of sticking around, and having so much content really helps, because you have years worth, and interest can be maintained long enough to get a continuation/reboot. With MLP, a reboot has a risk of not fairing so well because of the idea that newer things are never quite as good as the original. In the case of Star Trek, we saw changes made, but it was all set in the same universe, so you can watch all the different versions, and for the most part they hold up to each other in how watchable they are.

Not really, I mean I was just at Walmart a couple days ago and I saw the original 1986 MLP movie for sale! :adorkable:

I think My Little Pony material will be always readily available considering how popular it is.

• Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, JingLBabe said:

Definitely not.

In addition to this, there’s digital media to buy the product legally. For instance, many Disney movies not in the Vault are readily available. Last that I recall, FIM’s readily available for legal purchase on iTunes and other mediums.

• Brohoof 1

I’m not sure that phenomenon is still relevant in 2019, when pretty much everything has been uploaded to the internet somewhere. Besides, this is a very popular brand and has been for decades.

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2019 at 12:44 AM, Rarity Gemstones said:

So many have vastly archived this show in the digital realm, that the likelihood of it becoming scarce is slim.

Unless all the bonus material on YouTube goes down the ship with the site one day.

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2020 at 1:22 AM, FirePuppy said:

Unless all the bonus material on YouTube goes down the ship with the site one day.

People have ripped the entire DVD sets, special features, etc. all over the net. There is a plethora of places to locate the content to the point where any content that would be "lost" would be in the minority.

It was popular enough to give it 9 seasons, a movie and a spinoff

it'll be readily available for a while