Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

critique wanted Twilight royal portrait

Disky Bolt

I tried to draw a royal portrait for Twi

This is the first time I attempt to draw digital oil painting, without references(second time if counting with references)

Since I personally prefer Twi pre-timeskip, I drew this version instead

Twilight royal portrait.png

Edited by Disky Bolt
  • Brohoof 4

Hrm, I think this post deserves more love.

I'm not an artist, and I really don't think I can contribute much when someone's art is far better than mine, but I'll try to give some critique, I guess.

I guess the spike thingie of her crown is a bit too big and kind of weird in perspective compared to the rest? The one to the left of the screen. it kind of bugs me a bit, but that's just me. All in all I'm amazed on your artwork here. You remind me of kmrshy to an extend with the anatomy and expression, so I must congratulate you! Hrm, I guess maybe the feathers have a kind of weird lighting, but I'm not really sure since (as I stated before), I can't give too much critique on things beyond my level.

Anyway, excellent job!

• Brohoof 2

• 9 months later...

This is a really nice portrait! I especially love the counter shading you used on her face. The only critique I can give is on the crown/necklace; metallics have a different shading pattern than fur and hair and has sharper and more distinct shades. There are a ton of great tutorials and references online you can find, never be afraid to use a reference! Otherwise, I quite like this :squee: