Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you keep a conversation alive?

Muffinnz

How do you keep a conversation flowing instead letting it go silent?

Hi

Hi

How's it going?

Good how about you?

Good

(What now?)

(this is just ONE example)

Edited by Muffinnz
  • Brohoof 1

I usually slip in an important event or a topic I need to discuss after that "good".

Like.

Hey! How're you doing?
Fine, thanks! How about you?
Good. Say, have you heard x? (or) what do you think of y?

It depends on the person and the situation. For strangers I slip in small jokes and usually, the people themselves keep the ball rolling for me and I just have to be a listener and give small feedback.

• Brohoof 2

I don't. I'm not so great with keeping it alive, but rather let it die if there's nothing more to talk about.

Instead of just saying "Good" I'd elaborate and said, "Pretty good. Such and such happened today and that (insert how it made you feel or what it resulted in). What have you got going on?" You can also admit that you're super bored and want to chat with them. Ask about hobbies and interests, ask questions and be open to answering them about yourself.

But it's totally fine to just let a conversation die sometimes.

• Brohoof 2

Though it depends on the type of person he/she is, (Most teenagers these days are dumb and don't even use proper grammar or punctuation anyway) I normally try to show the other person that I'm putting more effort in my responses. For example:

Hi how are you?

I'm doing good at the moment, been a busy day. How has your day been treating you?

Pretty good, didn't go too bad.

That's nice to hear! Do anything interesting?...

And then if the other person cares about the conversation, it'll go on pretty good.

That is where I struggle, I have a hard time keeping a conversation alive either because I lack interest, I am feeling bad, I am busy, or I don't know what to talk about. I'm also just not the kind of person who is social and talkative.

I am actually here to try to figure out such things.

It seems like a popular one from one of the members here is "Boops". Can you guess who that may be?

If I use my techniques to keep a conversation alive, it really just involves talking about new things. But I am not here to learn what I already can do. I am here to learn what I cannot do (did that come out right?)

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Olly said:

Ask questions, bring up something that's of interest to you, change the topic whenever you need to.

How do you change a topic without interrupting the current one?

• Brohoof 2

19 minutes ago, Muffinnz said:

How do you change a topic without interrupting the current one?

Oh, if you interrupt a current one, you are still having a conversation, right?

When you believe the first one has ended, you try a new one. And if you made a mistake (happens, no big deal!), it happen so no big d..... Hey!

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Splashee said:

I remember trying to talk to you once. You scared me away! :worry:

Again...I missed context on the question of the post, so I gave a shot in the dark, and remember that the question and the thread itself, not always goes to the idea of helping another one.

Edited by Sherem

For me personally I’ve learned is I’m not going to be able to keep a conversation with someone who I have nothing in common with. 

If we have stuff in common a conversation is effortless.I don’t find myself worrying as much on what to say. This is coming from an introverted individual. 

When it’s with people I don’t know or have nothing in common with it’s a lot of awkward silence and me wondering what to say. 

The conversation like you posted in the original post is pretty much mine with people I don’t know very well or I have nothing in common with. 

I try to ask some questions to see if I can find some things we may have in common that I can bring up. If I can’t its going to remain the

”Hi how are you”

”Good How are you”

situation. 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...