Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Best fanfic you read about MLP?

Bastian

Test your memory and relive awesome moments by saying what is that fanfic that made you smile the most!

Mine? Well it was called Lost and Fallen, it was about a swat agent that arrived in an equestria in which humans enslaved ponies. Unfortunately, it was uncomplete but it was awesome anyway!

• Brohoof 3

I haven’t read a TON, but my two favorites are probably Maternal Instinct and The Diary of an Evil Pony.

Maternal Instinct is a big, multi-chapter drama portraying Changeling society as modeled after Imperial Japan. It follows Queen Chrysalis and her disabled daughter, Princess Pupa. While it’s been solidly contradicted my canon, it’s still amazing. And though it takes a while for her to show up, it has one of the most perfect fan portrayals of Princess Celestia I’ve ever read. WARNING: Keep a tissue box nearby, this story can and will try to wreck you.

The Diary of an Evil Pony is a oneshot fic about Fleur de Lis as a conmare and how she initially meets Fancy Pants under dubious pretenses in order to swindle him out of his money. As you can guess, things get complicated. It’s almost exclusively written in the style of Fleur’s diary entries. I’ve probably read it more times than any other MLP fanfic I’ve found.

• Brohoof 2

I don't really read too much anymore, so I've only read a handful of shorter fics. My favorite fic I've read that I didn't write was the Mane Six Cuddle Simulator, of which I read the intro and the Rainbow Dash chapter, which amounts to about 1.4k words, if that puts anything into perspective. I'm partial to my own work :derp: I write things I'd want to read. If I wouldn't enjoy reading something, I generally won't bother to write it. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's good, just that it fits my tastes.

Speaking of which, if anyone likes giant stompy robots, my FiMTech series is the only large-scale BattleTech crossover I know of that's still being updated. It's not like a "humans crash-landed in Equestria and introduced technology" sort of story, it's a true combination of the two universes. It's on Fimfic if anyone wants to read it. I'd link the stories directly, but they're rated mature. Part one was heavily re-written at some point (it was my first fic and I wasn't happy with it at the end, so I ended up re-writing some of the earlier chapters and editing the later ones), so it's not great, but it gets much better in part two since I actually started putting effort into my writing at that point. I tried to explain enough that non-BattleTech fans could still enjoy it, but anyone who knows about the lore for that series knows that's easier said than done.

Edited by Booker has a Santa hat
  • Brohoof 1

Never Made Much of Myself by Rambling Writer.

This story has Sunburst get a standard manecut from Zephyr Breeze.

While it's not exactly the Mane Therapist job he graduated for, the fact that Zephyr manages to do a decent job as a Mane STYLIST for at least a week is impressive given his old habit of weaseling out of something he's afraid of failing at. Especially since it requires Zephyr Breeze working at the Crystal Empire far away from his family, meaning no taking advantage of others.

Anyway, during the session, the stallions talk about the mutual feeling of feeling like they wouldn't amount to much before the events of the Crystalling and Flutter Brutter. But look at them now, a dropout like Sunburst being the Royal Crystaller and an "always looking for excuses" Zephyr Breeze actually putting in the work in his job.

I'm so proud of them both

• Brohoof 1

I like Anthropology! It's kind of an oldie, but still a classic. It's funny, heartwarming, interesting, and just a great little adventure.

• Brohoof 3

I have a few:

The Maretian - quite long, but I really liked it.
The Olden World - incomplete and I have not read all of what is there (because of how long it is), but I really liked what I have read.
Arrow 18 Mission Logs: Lone Ranger - quite nice
Stardust - darker than the others, but I really liked it
The Potion Shop - funny as hell
Sunset Shimmer is MAD about EVERYTHING - I probably read that a few times, really funny. I has sequels too, which are also great.

Edited by Pentium100
  • Brohoof 1

I'm gonna have to say Past Sins.

This is the story of Nyx, the result of a sinister ritual to resurrect Nightmare Moon. The attempt failed to fully recreate the evil alicorn, and instead resulted in a filly who is innocent and pure of heart. Nyx is discovered and taken in by Twilight Sparkle, thus beginning an emotional tail that tugs at my heartstrings and, despite having plenty of sad moments, is so worthwhile and has plenty of adorable moments as well.

• Brohoof 2

I loved Past Sins but my favorite is probably the very short A Hell of a Time. I haven't read it in a long time, but it's a hilarious fanfic, explaining what Celestia, Luna and Cadance were up to while Tirek was fighting Twilight and such.

• Brohoof 3

I didn't read many FIM fics, but one that I loved for a long time is Running From Myself. This fanfic is about Twilight's re-encounter with two former classmates, who had a history of bullying her while she was in school. It's harrowing when reading Twilight's troubles and satisfying when:

Spoiler
  1. She vents her frustration out on the bullies.
  2. The bullies get secondhand comeuppance.

I remember reading a fic a few years ago on the Wii U browser called Miss Mary. It was ridiculously long, yet I read it in one sitting because I was so hooked. The read was so beautiful. It was a story about Scootaloo getting trouble at school, so she was forced to hang out with a grumpy old mare every day after school for a few days.

I'm definitely going with Past Sins. This tale of Nyx's journey and Nightmare Moon's redemption is an emotional and captivating ride. Very few books have gotten me so invested in the story and characters that I was happy with them, sad with them, and enraged with the unjust cruelty forced upon them. Really, I was so mad and devastated I couldn't sleep all night after finishing chapter 10. :unamused:

• Brohoof 1

Cupcakes

Despite reading well more than a few MLP fanfics over the years, including some of the really popular ones, picking a favorite is hard since my favorite MLP stories are simple, one-shot crackfic comedies. I haven't read Past Sins, but, I did read one of Pen Stroke's other renowned stories, Haunting Nightmare, way back when. It was really good. I'd probably name that one as my favorite popular story. 

• Brohoof 1

The absolute best one I've read is My Best Friend's Kinda Hot... by Such A Chlorbag. It's a Starlight/Trixie shipping fanfic, and everything about is exactly right. The characterizations are spot on, the descriptions are amazing, the pacing's great, it's just excellent.

• Brohoof 1

On 12/22/2019 at 7:35 PM, Bastian said:

Test your memory and relive awesome moments by saying what is that fanfic that made you smile the most!

Mine? Well it was called Lost and Fallen, it was about a swat agent that arrived in an equestria in which humans enslaved ponies. Unfortunately, it was uncomplete but it was awesome anyway!

The fanfic that made me smile the most? That'd have to be "Where Earth Meets Sky" by Cloudy Skies

Best one? "Earth & Sky" by Warren Hutch

• Brohoof 1

Oh god, I've read so many by now, it would be hard to pick out five, let alone one. I... might actually start putting out my recommendations in a blog or something. I thought I saw a section of the forums dedicating to plugging things you like, but I might have just dreamt it too. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Blue Midnight said:

Songs of the Spheres, though I never actually got around to catching up fully. Still not a finished story, though.

You can try Amber Ashes, which is a spinoff - it's how I heard of SotS, though I need to actually get started on it.

• Brohoof 1

17 minutes ago, Quinch said:

You can try Amber Ashes, which is a spinoff - it's how I heard of SotS, though I need to actually get started on it.

Honestly I just stopped reading when suddenly the story went, "Oh, hey, look, this universe is a story, and that is a physical law here! Now everyone is aware that they are fictional!"

Though it is still the best in my opinion, before that happened.

Edited by Blue Midnight
  • Brohoof 1

It definitely have to be Past Sins. I don't read much MLP Fanfics but that is definitely one of my favourites.

Another would be the What Happened to Sugarcube Corner series. The third story is sadly incomplete but it is still a wonderful series and defibitely the best Cupcakes 'continuation'.

Creeping Darkness is also one I really enjoyed. Though I haven't read it in years so my opinion might change.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...