Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is AppleDash truly canon, as people say?

Menchi

A few weeks after the finale, I started to see people say that, "AppleDash Is Now CANON" or something else like that.

It seemed pretty suspious that I haven't seen the staff confirm it, so I decided to start this forum.

I'm literally so confused about all of this, so please, can you give evidence? Like staff saying it is canon? Because if not, then I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be considered as canon.medium.jpeg

• Brohoof 3

The staff said it’s up for interpretation.

If you like it, you got ship fuel. If you don’t like it, continue with the ships you do like. Simple as that.

Edited by JingLBabe
  • Brohoof 6

This is from the game, which definitely adds more fuel to the fire but I still think it’s up to the viewer’s interpretation. I like to think it’s canon, but that’s just cause I like AppleDash. It’s all up to the viewer! :mlp_yeehaa:

1357B18E-5C6C-48C3-9A5D-F3FCF4FDF086.png

39766856-9E64-4A80-9CED-B3F3CA8988AD.png

• Brohoof 10

They say it’s up to interpretation, but it’s really obvious that they made it canon. From Josh Haber’s unsubtle “Maaaaaaaaybe” tweet, to the Gameloft game’s descriptions for future RD/AJ, to the leaks outright saying it.

• Brohoof 2

No. I take those implied portrayals as minimal as possible because it can be denied at any second, and being the final episode doesn't change it at least in MLP for me. If you need a staff member's tweet to confirm somerhing, not by the show itself, means that it is just as valid as fan's headcanons.

Is Pinkie married to Cheese Sandwich? I'm 99.9% sure she is. But other than that, it's pretty obscure, no matter how gay their dialogue sounded.

• Brohoof 1

It is very obviously canon. The small visual hints alone seem like more than enough for me. The show staffers obviously won't say it outright because they know they would then get a shit-storm from idiots who think confirming any kind of gay couple in a "kId'S sHoW" would bring about the end of the universe.

• Brohoof 3

I don't like it. Mainly because they made the tomboy with the rainbow hair a lesbian. That's such a stereotype! Plus there was NO setup on any hints of AppleDash before the finale! Shoulda been Rarijack instead, cause that actually seems to make sense!

No I don't consider it canon.

• Brohoof 3

7 hours ago, FlareGun45 said:

I don't like it. Mainly because they made the tomboy with the rainbow hair a lesbian. That's such a stereotype! Plus there was NO setup on any hints of AppleDash before the finale! Shoulda been Rarijack instead, cause that actually seems to make sense!

No I don't consider it canon.

Leaks showed that a lot of people on the staff did like shipping the two together. Problem is that most of the people in charge of the season usually preferred Rarijack(Haber in particular has considered that one of his favorite duos). It comes across as a noticeable conflict of interest and making Appledash canon was included as if to throw those fans a bone. It shows a real lack of thought or foresight the series had 

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Megas said:

Leaks showed that a lot of people on the staff did like shipping the two together. Problem is that most of the people in charge of the season usually preferred Rarijack(Haber in particular has considered that one of his favorite duos). It comes across as a noticeable conflict of interest and making Appledash canon was included as if to throw those fans a bone. It shows a real lack of thought or foresight the series had 

Sometimes that best path is knowing what's best for the show, rather than just fanpandering. This show definitely relied too much on fanpanderin' in the later seasons.

• Brohoof 3

19 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

Sometimes that best path is knowing what's best for the show, rather than just fanpandering. This show definitely relied too much on fanpanderin' in the later seasons.

I mean, I don’t disagree, but this is more in regards to conflicting parties in the show’s staff

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I also don’t understand why some people say that this is, for certain, canon. I don’t think it is. There is no solid evidence. Nothing is stated or even implied. Sorry not sorry but a show staff member saying it’s up for interpretation doesn’t mean that they are subtly implying it is canon.

• Brohoof 8

Oooh, I just was watching this too. Okay, so I was noticing furtive glances, deliberate physical contact, an argument like a married couple as they trotted/flew in, discussing chores and RD wanting to help out (mostly so they could be done quicker). I honestly see plenty of arguments to call AppleDash canon here.

0r9xbyGUWAZh7pokdcsPIFESgYur8MU0dy39YlxL

See them looking at each other?

QqPEacV2fUKiUDoWhh0fz6z_rhKOXizekAugrI5G

And then right after that, Dash makes a point of resting a hoof on AJ's head.

7x9-WlD-0CrU7FJgpM0cHJ_46bt8Exkf5R8Anf5r

And earlier, Twi is looking at Shy and AJ, Rarity at Spike, and Pinkie as Rarity, while Dash is looking right at AJ. I love this, the dynamic being suggested is that Dash is the truly affectionate one.

So, yeah, you can definitely call that fuel, and what I'm doing can be, fairly, called speculation, but... I'm convinced.

• Brohoof 6

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2019 at 9:45 AM, FlareGun45 said:

A show that gives fans what they want! Oh no! :love:

I don't see how Rarity/Applejack makes any more sense. Just because they had a certain odd couple chemistry doesn't mean they would fall in love. We don't know what Applejack or Rainbow Dash find attractive. We don't know what any of them do off screen. We don't know how or why or even if they are in love. 

Since it is a fictional show, to speculate on what happens off screen, if it isn't stated, is kind of pointless. Sometimes good writing is vague.

• Brohoof 2

I just don't see a more reasonable explanation for that weird conversation they were having about chores. I can't think of a simpler reason for them to live together. Whether those hints should have been included is another conversation entirely. 

• Brohoof 1

One thing that goes with this shipping is Rainbow Dash and Applejack don't want to have children. At least I would assume Applejack would want to have children to raise seeing how motherly she was to Applebloom and big on family. Rainbow Dash I can understand not interested in raising kids short of having one to inherit her legacy. 

On 2/8/2020 at 7:10 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

I just don't see a more reasonable explanation for that weird conversation they were having about chores. I can't think of a simpler reason for them to live together. Whether those hints should have been included is another conversation entirely. 

Dashie could have married an Apple cousin and both decided to move to the farm :fluttershy:. Regardless of the case, it’s clear the writers heavily leant to that, and in fact was considered to be revealed outright at first, but decided to leave it subtle enough to leave it to interpretation..... mostly to avoid controversy from less LGBT societies I bet :D

3 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

and both decided to move to the farm

Why would Applejack move to someone else's farm?

3 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

mostly to avoid controversy from less LGBT societies I bet :D

Easier to censor if they don't show anything outright.