Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is AppleDash truly canon, as people say?

Menchi

On 12/24/2019 at 1:04 AM, FlareGun45 said:

I don't like it. Mainly because they made the tomboy with the rainbow hair a lesbian. That's such a stereotype! Plus there was NO setup on any hints of AppleDash before the finale! Shoulda been Rarijack instead, cause that actually seems to make sense!

No I don't consider it canon.

You're also assuming RD is a lesbian. I actually always saw her as bi. and there were hints, just as there were for fluttercord. in the trivia episode twilight says "team AppleDash is unstoppable," literally using the ship name in the scene. in the episode with angel, he mentions fluttershy wants to marry discord. Both ships have clear hints and clear canon endings

I prefer Rarijack, so I wasn't super fond of that aspect of season 9.  I don't mind the AppleDash ship unless it clashes with Rarijack.  I hope the Season 10 comics will at least have a couple good moments with Rarity and Applejack.  

• Brohoof 1

I mean, overall I just think it's up to the viewer to decide. I personally don't think of the ship as cannon. I am a SoarinDash fan, so naturally I wouldn't like the AppleDash ship. Plus, I just don't think they go that well together. I just don't really like shipping the mane six together. The whole point was that they were friends. Saying their friendship was romantic just makes things weird.

• Brohoof 1

The writers didn't explicitly have it stated in the episode and left it ambiguous to let the viewers themselves decide whether or not it was truly cannon. If you wanted it to be cannon, then it is. If you didn't want it to be cannon, then it isn't and RD and AJ are just roommates/very good friends. It is completely up to the individual viewer to decide whether or not they want it to be cannon. Technically, there is no "right" and "wrong" answer when it comes to this particular topic. :fabulous:  

• Brohoof 1

On 8/20/2020 at 6:41 PM, King of Canterlot said:

The writers didn't explicitly have it stated in the episode and left it ambiguous to let the viewers themselves decide whether or not it was truly cannon. If you wanted it to be cannon, then it is. If you didn't want it to be cannon, then it isn't and RD and AJ are just roommates/very good friends. It is completely up to the individual viewer to decide whether or not they want it to be cannon.

While you are right on their intentions, the fact is that there's no confirmation as heavily hinted as it was.

On 8/20/2020 at 6:41 PM, King of Canterlot said:

Technically, there is no "right" and "wrong" answer when it comes to this particular topic. :fabulous:  

That's why this is not true, if we go by technicality, they are not a canon couple.

Confirmation is everything for something to be canonical in any work. And it is also the main reason why the whole 'canon ships' discussion is completely absurd. Whether a ship is canon or not is clearly stated in its content.

Now, the good discussions come when the question is whether a ship is better or worse for the involved characters.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/24/2019 at 1:04 AM, FlareGun45 said:

I don't like it. Mainly because they made the tomboy with the rainbow hair a lesbian. That's such a stereotype! Plus there was NO setup on any hints of AppleDash before the finale! Shoulda been Rarijack instead, cause that actually seems to make sense!

No I don't consider it canon.

Exactly. Rarijack was hinted at more in the final season than Appledash, so it just came off as like "wut." to me. Honestly, I ship both but Rarijack takes the win 100% for me if someone asked me to pick between the two. Anyways, I just like to see it as that Applejack and Rainbow Dash live together as roommates or friends and Rainbow helps with the chores, but Applejack and Rarity are a thing but they don't want to make it super public

• 1 year later...

A recent poll on EQD made me think about this again.
Let me say first that I have no problem with Lyra and Bonbon and their confirmed relationship in the show.

Personally I just don't see AJ and Rainbow in a relationship together in that way though. Looking at the canon last episode, I do think that those working on it did intend for it to be heavily implied.

my OPINION on the situation:

THE MAIN reason why I DO see them ending up living together is Rainbow Dash. One the main weaknesses/fears I see of hers is of being alone/ostracized- as seen in various episodes. She's also big-headed and more of a "free-bird" type. She also seems like she would be difficulty with a long term relationship with in general and the overall "tied-down" aspect of a serious one. She also has been shown to "flee" situations sometimes when things go south (so much for loyalty).:ButtercupLaugh: Because of this I would guess that she had a couple failed relationships over the years leading up to the scene in the finale. This, coupled with them appearing to be in their early 40's at least by the finale, my guess would be that Rainbow Dash would be retired (well at least from performing regularly) from the Wonderbolts with her glory days behind her at that point. So basically I see being 40ish + no relationship + Wonderbolts over = bad (bordering nightmare) situation for Rainbow Dash mentally.:worry:

Applejack on the other hand, I just think that she just never had much of a priority or interest in finding a relationship
and was perfectly fine and content with just keeping herself busy.

What I picture is one day Rainbow Dash coming home to her empty cloud house after being retired from the Wonderbolts for a bit and just being like, "Yeah, this shit ain't working."
Over the years I would imagine that she probably had a few failed relationships she probably isn't super interested in trying again at this point either. She decides to see if Applejack wouldn't mind her moving in and helping around the place. I see Applejack being on board with the idea, with her
and Big Mac being older and more worn at this point from a couple decades labor on the farm. I see them being more as room mates, kind of
like a Golden Girls situation. (RIP Betty White:()

A couple of things on the matter I find funny:

I also see them as being aware of possible speculation/gossip by others in the town regarding the nature of their arrangement, and having fun with it.
I could TOTALLY see Rainbow Dash or Applejack saying, "Are you coming sweetie?" or something like that as they were getting ready to leave a store or something, just to mess with people!:laugh:

I also remember seeing Ashleigh Ball supporting it which I found amusing for obvious reasons.

What I do think though, is that no matter what the nature of their arrangement living on the Apples' farm, they are/will be indistinguishable from an actual bickering old couple!:laugh:

It's kinda up for interpretation. If you want them to be, then they are. If you don't then, well, it is not like there is any proof since Netflix never did Season 9, and now most is gone :mlp_icwudt:

It's canon if you want it to be, the long and short answer. In a world of "Death of Author", it's hard to call anything "truly canon". I do like to respect the writer's intent as much as possible even if it's not how I would've done things, and I do believe someone on the team who supported the ship meant to slightly imply it. I also believe, however, they had to do it in a way so that someone who supported a conflicting ship could argue that it wasn't confirmation. LyraBon is a different ballgame, since that ship had been heavily implied for years. 

3 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

It's canon if you want it to be, the long and short answer. In a world of "Death of Author", it's hard to call anything "truly canon". I do like to respect the writer's intent as much as possible even if it's not how I would've done things, and I do believe someone on the team who supported the ship meant to slightly imply it. I also believe, however, they had to do it in a way so that someone who supported a conflicting ship could argue that it wasn't confirmation. LyraBon is a different ballgame, since that ship had been heavily implied for years. 

Implied because the fandom pretty much demanded it :mlp_icwudt:

To me, it is pretty friggin' obvious that it is meant to be cannon. Sometimes, it doesnt take mich at all to demonstrate a point and the one shot at the end says it all in my view. 

Totally fine with it too. With all the interactions these two have had throughout the show, it feels like a logical conclusion for them. 

• 1 year later...